Author Topic: Garry's Mod - worth it?  (Read 6813 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Garry's Mod - worth it?
I've been looking at HL2 mods and Garry's looks pretty cool. Problem is, I don't want to waste 10$ and find out that I don't like it. GMod 9 (The last free version) gives me an error when I try to play it and I need some feedback. Is it worth 10$?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Re: Garry's Mod - worth it?
I bought Gmod 10 not to long ago (with the current exchange rates it hardly broke the bank).  On its own it nice to muck around with for a while... then you discover the mods.  Gmod 10 with mods like Spacebuild (build spaceships and fly in outer space), Lifesupport (adds a new level of options as your ships need resources to keep you alive), Wire (THE Gmod mod!  build automatic homing barrel throwers, computer controlled vehicles, the possibilities are endless), the list goes on.

In singleplayer you can waste hours and hours in Gmod.  Find a decent mp server and you can waste even more.  Not bad for $10.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Exchange rates to where?

EDIT: I get this error when I try to start 9.0.4:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:14:45 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities

I love Gmod 10 - with the wiremod I've gotten more entertainment out of it than any other game besides FS. :D
I'm a mechatronics engineering student (robotics), so for me Gmod is basically combining gaming with building robots - thus far I've built:
A demonic player-seeking flying pencil
A poor approximation of a T-1 terminator from T3
A flyable Atlantis puddlejumper
An automatic tank that would drive around and seek out targets all over the map
A hovering capship armed with 4 independant beam turrets
A fighter drone that will identify targets and perform strafing runs on them
And tons of other random crap.

If you're remotely interested in logic circuitry and/or robots I'd say it's definitely worth the $10.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You should build an Orion using nothing but triangle shaped pieces of metal. ;7

But, yeah, I think I might have to try this.

Anybody have input on my GM9 problem?

EDIT: @VA: And did you build the PuddleJumper, or just program it?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I didn't build a mesh and import it if that's what you mean.
Oh yeah - and it had controllable guns on deployable engine pods, a cloak and a rear hatch door.

Just today I built an ugly shuttle pod thing that is able to lift off and fly to a locator beacon - neatly landing directly on it whether it's on the top of a tower or whatever. I also managed to get crushed by my own landing gear as it deployed. I must be the only person in history to have been squished by the landing gear of the aircraft I was actually inside of at the time.

Gmod is fun. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Anybody have input on my GM9 problem?

GM9 is old ****.

GM10 is fun and very flexible, and should be updated to handle all of the TF2/Portal/EP2 content soon.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Already is by the look of the site. I'm going to get it, thanks for the input. I wanted GM9 to try it.