Author Topic: PCS2 Linux builds  (Read 6463 times)

Hi guys,

I'm trying to build PCS2 on Debian 8.1, but when I compile it I'm getting errors regarding the OpenGL handling. Looks like there's been some changes to WXWidgets and there's a few messages about SwapBuffers and XID in X windows. Is anyone else building PCS2 on Linux?
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've built it on Mint 13 & 17.  I even documented my experiences on the wiki! :)  Having said that I don't recall encountering any OpenGL errors so I'm not sure if that info will help or not.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

wxgtk 2.8 has been deprecated, wxgtk3.0 is what ships in Debian now... It's because GTK-2.0 is deprecated in favour of GTK-3.0.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:49:41 pm by Darkmage »
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Urgh, I guess that wx 2.8 isn't available in the backports repo? If not then I guess PCS2 will need an update.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
How exactly is the wxGTK versioning related to the base wxWidgets versioning?  It's unfortunate that they seem to be sharing versions so much with GTK, unless that was by design but I'm thinking it wasn't.  wxWidgets 2.8 won't work with wxGTK 3 is what I'm getting at?  Shame there isn't a wxGTK that works with wxWidgets 2.8 and GTK3, unless there is and we just missed that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

They are similar, but there are changes. Several GLCanvas updates which prevent compilation/running. I was able to build PCS2 under the new WXWidgets, but the GL part was totally broken. If I comment out the Swapbuffers command I got a window to open but actions were unstable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:59:59 pm by Darkmage »

Hello,

I've been trying to build PCS2 in Ubuntu 16.04 with wxwidget 3.0
I'm sure this was the easy part, even if it took me a while to figure it out.

I encountered an issue with a SIGTRAP preventing the application start and due to SetCurrent()/SwapBuffers() called before having the window visible.
After some investigation and googleing the issue can be avoided by bailing out in Render() function if window is not yet visible on screen.

patch: "bail out from wxGL_PMFCanvas::Render() if window is not visible"
https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/c71416b7069ca8b793b6a47218559ead244422fe

Now I'm sharing and asking feedback/help about the remaining issues:

1)  Error "Could not set current working directory (Error 2: no such file or directory)" after having selected a model to load.
This error is returned by wxwidget libraries, but I was not yet able to backtrace with gdb.

2) Assert error, generally non fatal in my understanding, I skip the Assert error windows by clicking Ok and everuthing proceeds.
It is due to wxString formats which since 3.0 are more strictly checked, not figure where is the problem exactly.

Code: [Select]
/usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/strvararg.h(456): assert "(argtype & (wxFormatStringSpecifier<T>::value)) == argtype" failed in wxArgNormalizer(): format specifier doesn't match argument type

3) Segfault (happening frequently when navigating the POF structure)

Thread 1 "pcs2" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x000000000092bb00 in wxGL_PMFCanvas::OnMouseEvt (this=0xfcea30, event=...) at /home/utente/Downloads/PCS2_wx3-0/src/wxGL_PMFCanvas.cpp:893
893 mainpanel->control_panel->push_undo();
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000000092bb00 in wxGL_PMFCanvas::OnMouseEvt (this=0xfcea30, event=...) at /home/utente/Downloads/PCS2_wx3-0/src/wxGL_PMFCanvas.cpp:893
#1  0x00007ffff62091fe in wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler(wxEvtHandler*, wxEventFunctor&, wxEvent&) const ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#2  0x00007ffff638f6c7 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&) ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#3  0x00007ffff638f7bb in wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#4  0x00007ffff638fb6b in wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly(wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#5  0x00007ffff638fbf3 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventLocally(wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#6  0x00007ffff638fc55 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0
#7  0x00007ffff638f9c7 in wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey there, I'm also working on this!  :)  it's nice to see someone else working on it. I found that the configuration file error is because it's trying to write to ~/.pcs2 instead of ~/.pcs2/pcs2.ini find that line and change it and you'll go further :) It looks like the program has a very half-done Unix filesystem implementation. Try adding #ifdef UNIX and #ifdef WIN32 wherever file paths are used and add a Unix equivalent of the windows paths. I'll post here again once I've done more.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:08:02 pm by Darkmage »

Hi Darkmage,

Hey there, I'm also working on this!  :)  it's nice to see someone else working on it.

Pleased to meet you

I found that the configuration file error is because it's trying to write to ~/.pcs2 instead of ~/.pcs2/pcs2.ini find that line and change it and you'll go further :)

Thanks for the advise, I have modified the UNIX CONFIG_FILE , but I still need to check when ~/.pcs2 folder is created before finalizing the patch,
now I created the folder manually and the pcs2.ini file is written successfully.

I still have the following Error at each .pof model loading, I need to check what is trying to set/use the working directory.

"Pcs2 error - Could not set current working directory (Error 2: no such file or directory)"

Very very good news on the assert and segfault issues, they've been solved.

- assert issues are due to formats used wxString:Format and now solved, by correcting the arguments formats as done in wxlauncher some time ago.

- segmentation fault is avoided by skipping a push_undo() call in wxGL_PMFCanvass::OnMouseEvt

Proposed patches for review as follows:

[1/4] add support for wxWidgets 3.0 flags

https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/0df27a88143054d3b5729df22ee7783bc69180eb

[2/4] bail out from wxGL_PMFCanvas::Render() if window is not visible

https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/c71416b7069ca8b793b6a47218559ead244422fe

[3/4] fix format specifiers in wxString::Format calls

https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/6c9a6fa9a40a272d3ca3b59cc958619df2235012

[4/4] skip push_undo() to avoid SIGSEGV with wxWidgets 3.0

https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/be7edd41a4a7e44505c746bee5c830568f71548a

Tests results:

pcs2 is loading models without crashes and I can use all left pane controls when model is loaded (all working).
When using VBO is see some Z-culling artifacts and subobjects show transparencies not seen with wxWidgets 2.8,
but most of the issues/crashes seem resolved, but better to review the patches.

Now back to debugging the "working directory" issue

Mauro Rossi

PS: yesterday I saw that asarium also solved the issue about texture paths that needed / at the end, that's great!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:58:11 pm by maurossi »

Offline m!m

The source code is also available in a GitHub repository so you can directly submit your changes there.

I agree with moving to a central repository. I'm trying to investigate the COB crashes. I'd like to get the Truespace support back up to scratch. I'm a very rusted on Truespace 6.6 user. I've actually got a second project aiming to rewrite Truespace for Linux using GTK. Once PCS2 is working, I'd like to extend its support to add .BXFM and .XMESH XML based formats.

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models
hello Linux users! :)

the thing is: i compiled PCS2.1 for a 32bit Debian system (has wxwidgets2.8). i only needed to add 'SDL' to the SConstuct file in the "libs =" line, and it compiled. (i had some warnings). the program runs (i did not manage to bring it to crash) but the Collada importer does not seem to work properly. it imports a similar geometry, but it messes it up totally... (vertex and polygon counts and coordinates suffer from this) can someone tell me why it does so, and how can i fix this? it loads .pof files prooperly.

thank You!
regards,
Richard

ps: i used the Alliance code, that had some bugs. the SCP code does work better. i only had problems with CMake, it did not find libwxbase-headers v3.0+ because it found v2.8 first (both were installed) so i had to trick it a bit :D after that it compiled OK.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:49:27 am by LionSGI »
My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah, OK, glad you got that figured out.  Could you clarify what you did to get it to find the right headers, for posterity?  Others may run into the same issue, so if you used a particular config command that might be helpful.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models
Ah, OK, glad you got that figured out.  Could you clarify what you did to get it to find the right headers, for posterity?  Others may run into the same issue, so if you used a particular config command that might be helpful.

i am no great programmer and i am not proud of it what i did. :D and also i have no clue how CMake works. so what i did was: i moved away libwx-v2.8 headers from /usr/include/wx-2.8 and renamed /usr/include/wx-3.0 to /usr/include/wx-2.8

after that You only have to type: 'cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ' to begin compilation in the directory You uncompressed the PCS2-master.zip ( https://github.com/scp-fs2open/PCS2/archive/master.zip ) (for me it was: /usr/src/PCS2-master/)

after compilation i made that reverse. i guess You MIGHT overcome this by removing libwx-2.8 headers, but i did not try that. i am sure this issue can be fixed in a more sophisticated way by someone who does understand CMake and fixes the CMake script.

my system is Debian 8.5 (Jessie) 32bit. i also had to install cmake v3.1+ from the jessie-backports repository. if this might help others, i can list some packages that i had and compiled with successfully:

ii  libc6:i386                                        2.19-18+deb8u4                             i386         GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libc6-dev:i386                                    2.19-18+deb8u4                             i386         GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files
ii  cmake                                             3.6.2-2~bpo8+1                             i386         cross-platform, open-source make system      (from jessie-backports)
ii  cmake-data                                        3.6.2-2~bpo8+1                             all          CMake data files (modules, templates and documentation)   (from jessie-backports)
ii  libwxbase3.0-0:i386                               3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         wxBase library (runtime) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets toolkit
ii  libwxbase3.0-0-dbg:i386                           3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         debugging symbols for the wxBase library
ii  libwxbase3.0-0-unofficial:i386                    3.0.2-1.wheezy                             i386         wxBase library (runtime) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets toolkit
ii  libwxbase3.0-dev                                  3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         wxBase library (development) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets toolkit
ii  libwxgtk3.0-0:i386                                3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)
ii  libwxgtk3.0-0-dbg:i386                            3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         debugging symbols for the wxGTK GUI toolkit library
ii  libwxgtk3.0-dev                                   3.0.2-1+b1                                 i386         wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ development)
ii  gcc                                               4:4.9.2-2                                  i386         GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-4.9                                           4.9.2-10                                   i386         GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-4.9-base:i386                                 4.9.2-10                                   i386         GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii  libgcc-4.9-dev:i386                               4.9.2-10                                   i386         GCC support library (development files)

i am not sure if this is all You need, but i guess it is most of them. i hope that helps.
regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:13:24 pm by LionSGI »
My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models

maybe i should make a clean install (Debian v8.x; my system is several years old, i have packages from Etch :) ) and make (or update) a wiki page?

I am now on Debian Buster. I can build/run PCS2 on Linux. On Intel Graphics it has some glitches. On NVIDIA it runs fine. I have imported a DAE file. There needs to be a decent tutorial added to the PCS2 code repository so it's easier to get into using the program. It appears to work. I need to test Caligari .COB import once I've made some corrections to a model I've made. E.g Triangulation, naming detail0 etc.

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models

hello!

i just switched from Debian Jessie (debian8/32bit) to Debian Stretch (9/64bit). Fresh installed Debian Strech 9.8/amd64 and compiled PCS2 for it. You need:

root@ip3000:/# apt-get install cmake libboost-regex-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-system-dev libsdl1.2-dev libdevil-dev g++ gcc make

after that download PCS2-master.zip (https://github.com/scp-fs2open/PCS2/archive/master.zip), unzip it (i unzipped it into /usr/src/PCS2-master/) and:

root@ip3000:/usr/src/PCS2-master# cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
root@ip3000:/usr/src/PCS2-master# make

because of my nVidia driver i also needed to fix a broken link:
root@ip3000:/usr/src/PCS2-master# ln -fs /usr/lib/libGL.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so
root@ip3000:/usr/src/PCS2-master# make

it had a few warnings, but it built OK:
root@ip3000:/usr/src/PCS2-master# file src/pcs2
src/pcs2: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=6b8282f1489646afe8a9972d7224973bc6b2cb8d, not stripped

good luck, and happy modding!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
thanks for the info, I've added it to the wiki  https://github.com/scp-fs2open/PCS2/wiki/Building-PCS2

(although; you really shouldn't build code as root! :) )
----
----

This is completely broken on Debian Buster. Errors with OpenGL, and errors with String handling.

james@James-Work:~/development/PCS2/src$ make -k
[  9%] Built target fmt
[ 11%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/geo_sphere.o
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp: In member function ‘ogl_vertex_buffer geo_sphere::make_vertex_buffer(int)’:
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp:188:2: error: ‘glGenBuffersARB’ was not declared in this scope
  188 |  glGenBuffersARB(1, &ret.buffer);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp:190:2: error: ‘glBindBufferARB’ was not declared in this scope
  190 |  glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, ret.buffer);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp:191:2: error: ‘glBufferDataARB’ was not declared in this scope
  191 |  glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, tri.size()*sizeof(vector3d),NULL, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp:192:23: error: ‘glMapBufferARB’ was not declared in this scope
  192 |  float*map = (float *)glMapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, GL_WRITE_ONLY_ARB);
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/geo_sphere.cpp:195:3: error: ‘glUnmapBufferARB’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘glXSwapBuffers’?
  195 |   glUnmapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |   glXSwapBuffers
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/build.make:206: CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/geo_sphere.o] Error 1
[ 14%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/Main_Panel.o
[ 16%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/MOI.o
[ 19%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/pcs2.dir/ogl_vertex_buffers.o
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp: In member function ‘void pcs_sobj::make_vertex_buffer(int, int)’:
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp:82:2: error: ‘glGenBuffersARB’ was not declared in this scope
   82 |  glGenBuffersARB(1, &vertex_buffer[texture_slot].buffer);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp:84:2: error: ‘glBindBufferARB’ was not declared in this scope
   84 |  glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vertex_buffer[texture_slot].buffer);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp:85:2: error: ‘glBufferDataARB’ was not declared in this scope
   85 |  glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, tri.size()*sizeof(OGL_vert), &tri[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
      |  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp: In member function ‘void pcs_sobj::destroy_vertex_buffer()’:
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp:108:4: error: ‘glDeleteBuffersARB’ was not declared in this scope
  108 |    glDeleteBuffersARB(1, &vertex_buffer.buffer);
      |    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/james/development/PCS2/src/ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp:113:4: error: ‘glDeleteBuffersARB’ was not declared in this scope
  113 |    glDeleteBuffersARB(1, &line_vertex_buffer.buffer);

OK I've been able to fix this by modifying the GLee.h file. Added GLEXT to it. GLX is basically dead on Linux.
I've also fixed up some Linux paths etc. Can someone either give me access to the git repo, or take some patches from me?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:21:56 am by Darkmage »