Author Topic: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.  (Read 14615 times)

Re: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.
Glad it's useful, ShivianSPS and taylor and other devs on it have really made a great launcher!

Hey, so I've noticed that the KNet version doesn't have as many mods on the 'Explore' tab... is there something I did wrong, or can you link the support thread for KNet?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Hey, so I've noticed that the KNet version doesn't have as many mods on the 'Explore' tab... is there something I did wrong, or can you link the support thread for KNet?

That typically means that retail FS2 isn't installed. I'm sure you've been messing with this stuff long enough to have gotten retail FS2 installed, but just to be sure, did you?

There is a bug report of kNet not detecting the FS2 install even though it was done and only showing TCs instead of any FS2-based mods. But we've been unable to reproduce that behavior in order to debug it. Assuming that is what's happening here, it would be a tremendous help if you could post a full directory listing of your knossos library as well as the <library>/FS2/mod.json file.

That typically means that retail FS2 isn't installed. I'm sure you've been messing with this stuff long enough to have gotten retail FS2 installed, but just to be sure, did you?

There is a bug report of kNet not detecting the FS2 install even though it was done and only showing TCs instead of any FS2-based mods. But we've been unable to reproduce that behavior in order to debug it. Assuming that is what's happening here, it would be a tremendous help if you could post a full directory listing of your knossos library as well as the <library>/FS2/mod.json file.

/home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Freespace 2

Itlooks like i just had to repath the install, this is the default steam directory it installs in. IT WORKS NOWA!

My FSO directory is /home/FreespaceOpen

So, new issue, KNET only gets to this point. The library never finishes. It looks like the same bug, only showing TCs. Paths are the same as in the previous post, vbut to even get this far, i had to delete all the retail files in theFSO folder. it copies them, it just never finishes loading the library.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I reproduced this locally but it doesn't appear to be a bug, just some UX weirdness. The library is reloaded properly but that window never actually does anything beyond the point that you see. You just have to close it. There is a lot of UI/UX work to still be done so I'm sure we'll revisit this at some point and make it a bit more user-friendly.

I do have a suspicion that it not seeing retail FS2 is installed is related to the case of the filenames, where it's assumed they will be lower case. If you look in /home/FreespaceOpen/FS2/, is root_fs2.vp all lower case? If not, rename it be all lower case, restart Knossos.NET, and see if that does anything. With any luck that will solve your problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it WAS case sensitive.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Glad that worked! A fix has been added to kNet so that future retail data installs shouldn't have this problem. So hopefully you'll never have to deal with that mess again and it will "just work".