Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280975 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
I'd need the GMax SDK, which is somewhat expensive. I don't really think a GMax plugin is possible right now.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
on and off data are times in milliseconds, displacement time is also needed if you want to do some sort of sequental thing, I have no idea how you are handeling the interface currently, are you useing some sort of custome defined object or lights?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Right now it's just helpers (any light will be considered a helper by the converter). I'll probably add a way to define all of this through the object's User Properties.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
what are the current limitations (poly wise)? 'Coz I have here a nice model I would like to convert.

Link
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
No limits on the converter (I converted models with over 10k polygons without problem), but I'd recommend breaking a hi-poly model into several models with around (or less than) 1k polygons, to avoid problems inside FS2. Just link all the submodels to the main detail level ("detail-0") and you should be fine.

By the way, I'll upload a new version soon where you can use a target spot/direct light as a helper, and the direction of the target will be used as the normal (for glow points).

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you have to break an object up into subobjects do so by texture
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
first I have to get rid of all but diffuse materials, right?

Also, will a model with 40k verticles, 20k faces work inside FS2 (theoretically)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
theoretically, yeah, it should, though it would likely take five minutes for it to genorate the index buffers for an object of that complexity
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Tolwyn
first I have to get rid of all but diffuse materials, right?

No, you just need to have diffuse bitmap materials on all models except for the shields. Additional materials shouldn't cause trouble.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Any new builds yet?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Correct me if I'm wrong, but paths are a series of points, each with its own radius. A ship wanting to perform a docking maneuver has to fly to within the radius defined for the outermost point on the docking path, and then fly to within the radius of the next point along the path, etc. The radius of each point is (supposed to) get progressively smaller as the path gets closer to the destination. Ok so far?

So... I don't know if there are spherical helpers objects that can have a size defined for them - if so, great - but I do know that omni lights would be able to represent (with their radius settings) the progressively smaller points along a path.

No?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

How would I go about adding rotating subobjects? I'm trying to give this Dropship moving wings (timed and controlled in Fred of course) I'd also would like to utilize rotation for the forward gun turret. Your "readme.txt" has no mention of "barrel-x" which is in the sample. I'm guessing it needs to be linked to the turretbase?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 03:26:19 pm by 1582 »

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
The name of the barrel doesn't matter, just link it to the turret base object. And there's no way to specify object rotation axis right now, but any User Properties you set on MAX will be translated to subobject properties in the POF.

And Sandwich, yeah, that could define the radius, but I don't really like the way you'd set a path then. Right now it generates the radius automatically, you can adjust it in PCS or other editor. I'll think about the light thing.

So I take it the turret doesn't rotate as of this point?

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
You'll just have to adjust it on PCS or something similar. All the turret data is there, but the subobject rotation axis info isn't set.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ok, i finally got a version of mex that works, and i installed the pof exporter but all my models are in cob format. is there a cob importer for max? i know it would probibly be better to save 3ds files from truespace and load those but if theres a cob importer i could forgo that step and save some serious time.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

PCS refuses to save a model made in Max. It simply crashes. Can Modelview input such data?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Nuke
ok, i finally got a version of mex that works, and i installed the pof exporter but all my models are in cob format. is there a cob importer for max? i know it would probibly be better to save 3ds files from truespace and load those but if theres a cob importer i could forgo that step and save some serious time.

3dexploration
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Styxx
And Sandwich, yeah, that could define the radius, but I don't really like the way you'd set a path then. Right now it generates the radius automatically, you can adjust it in PCS or other editor. I'll think about the light thing.

Could you have lights linked to path points? I'm just trying to figure out some way of being able to visually define all the POF data; that's a main reason why I like Modelview32 so much.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Raa

3dexploration

now is that another app or does it plug in to maxes interface? you see it would be easyer to save as a 3ds frome truespace than to use a third application. the idea was to eliminate a step, not add one.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN