Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282582 times)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Where can i find an upgrade?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Google is your friend.
So is search...which is A1-Super in HLP-BB.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline i90r

look for 3dsmax_51_Update

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Random pseudo-bug: dockpoint normals (and indeed any normals based off of paths) should be calculated to the last point in the path, not the first.  Not terrible by any means, but if there's ever a revision this should be fixed.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

YOU ALSO NEED A 2ND DOCKING POINT!!!! Determines heading.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Bah, it converts fine with two dockpoints associated with a single path.   :p  It does make the normals point the wrong way though if the path is at all curved.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Can't believe this has been here for so long and I never saw it! =O

Will test it out with Max5.1 -Btw the link for the 5.1 version is dead. :p

Thanks man!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Get it from the first page, that's a much more up-to-date version than anything else in the thread.  The same zip has all three versions (Max 4, 5, 6).

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Yah realized that after I opened it. :p

Am working on a ship now. Been a long time since I've done this, but damn is it easier with this. Saves redoing all the pof data after making slight updates etc.

I'm presuming since its in the export menu it works too. :)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I cannot find the gmax upgrade :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Question: Does the shield mesh have to be orientated a certain way to work properly?

I think that my shields may be inside out... :ick:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The faces should point out, but orientation shouldn't matter.  Take the sheild mesh, select all of its faces, and find the 'flip' button to reverse the normals.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I never figgered out how to make shields.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I know how to flip normals etc yeah, but was just wondering if the spehere has to be pointed a certain direction?

I actually, just took a copy of the shield included, and modifed it.

I just did a test with all the fighters lined up in a row, with shields, like a firing range.
I found that none have proper working shields.
I can shoot right through where the shield mesh of a ship will be and nothing will happen.
More disturbing is that the shield only works in some places of the ship. And in other it shots fired will go straight through and hit the hull.
Sometimes, a shot fired at the front of the ship will make the shield hit effect at the back of the ship, or on the other side.

Something very strange is going on. I basically extraced the shield mesh to a pof, and then imported it to another poth via modview.

I have no idea what the flag "smart shields" does, but it seems to have no effect on or off.

Also, sometimes a shot that hits the shield will cause the game to crash.

Anyone got any idea?

btw @ Cobra:
Just take a look at the sample file, it has everything you need to know in that demo max file. :)
Except the stuff that's buggering me up... :doubt:

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
maybe you have your lasers set at the right frequency. :D did you check the tbl file?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 12:07:49 pm by 2299 »

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
?
If you can't get max working, then you could just import the shield mesh from another fighter of similar shape into your current pof using Modview.

I hope its not a 'I give up' nevermind. We need more mods! :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There's a slim chance that orientation may make a difference with the Max plugin; reset X-form on the shield mesh and see if that makes the problem any better.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I did reset the mesh and no difference was made.
I've a sneaking suspicion that its the order of the faces or something?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was exporting the pof, and then importing the shield mesh to another  model via modview. Maybe its modview that's breaking stuff?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That's a possibility.  Try it through PCS maybe.  Though if it's still a problem, I'd export the shield from Max to TS, and import it that way (even if you have to give it a dummy ship) if the mesh itself is still acting up.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Actually, I've got a hunch.
If you compare the shield mesh in the demo file, with the original shield meshes there is a large difference.
Being the number of poly's.

I will try reducing the amount of poly's to be the same as the original fighter shields, or near to. (It would be difficult afterall to count them all.)
Which actually brings up another query. Is it possible to get a .pof importer ?
This would be quite handy in updating old ships, and debuging new ones.

Update:
Tried out the ships with the same number of poly's as the originals (Just reduce the segments of the isoca sphere to 2). Same problem.
It might of actually made things worse, because its very rare that the ship's shields will light up.
POF Constructor suite does the same thing.
I even tried using one of the original fighter shields mesh. Some of it was working ok, but the rest was the same deal.
I'm starting to think it might be the pof exporter that's broken.

I'm running out of ideas... Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:29:42 am by 501 »