Author Topic: Is FS2 dead?  (Read 18620 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

Sarnie: I hope that wasn't a jab at either Johnny Cash or my two thousand dollar a year domain name...

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Johnny Cash?!

Where?

*sings*"I fell in to a burning ring of fire......

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4

Offline diamondgeezer

It says so in plain english, Stryke

[EDIt] Go hitcounter, go!

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Sarnie: I hope that wasn't a jab at either Johnny Cash or my two thousand dollar a year domain name...

Your website is 50% adverts.
Got Ether?

Offline diamondgeezer

See, people keep telling me that, but all I ever get is a banner at the top of each frame (which rarely loads) and one popup. Unless you mean the banner for the FS2 download as well, in which case :wtf:...

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
The right frame was covered in a Angelfire advert before, its gone now though.
Got Ether?

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Could you replace that with Ghost Riders in the Sky?

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Zeronet
The right frame was covered in a Angelfire advert before, its gone now though.

Oh yes, that. See, if the frame doesn't load quick enough you see an Angelfire page instead. A few taps of F5 should sort it out a treat :nod:

And Petrarch - no. Raymond T Butts went down that black hole listening to Walk The Line, so that's what goes on the page. Hoo-rah!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

No, t'was my eyes crying out for mercy in the face of evil angelfire 404 not found pages in frames! :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline diamondgeezer

Ah, but I have outwitted you via the post above yours. :ha:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ah, but I have outwitted you via the post above yours. :ha:

True. :p You need to fix the first link to refer to the frame, as well as give it a dark BG for the sake of readability and sanity. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
are YOU talking about sanity???? :eek2:
"runs"
SCREW CANON!

Offline zinjo

Originally posted by Unknown Target
FS2 is simply not interseting to play anymore.
For instance, right now, I'm going to play a game. It will be a space combat game. However, rather than going to play FS2, I'm going to go play Macross VFX-2 on my Playstation emulator (srry if that stuff isn't allowed around here). Why? Because VFX2 offers something interesting. You get to transform, do ground missions, against AI that is at least somewhat of a challenge (even if you yourself is hampered by the game). FS2 is simply shoot, shoot, shoot, no actual skill required. All you have to do is aim at the lead reticle. There's no fancy manuevering, besides simply rotating on a dime so you can put your guns on target.

Sounds to me like there is a lot of uninspired or unimaginative FREDers ...
"A little overkill never hurt anyone..."

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ayuh. I haven't played a mission without bells and whistles in a year.

'Course, it could stand to be expanded a little (as in I-War), but it's far more than just shooting if you've got or are a competent FREDer.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Think of it this way: will you bother to play this game in another year? With all the new games coming out, will a new campaign for a 5-year-old game really pull you back in?

Let's see.

How many games have I played during the last 12 months?

Oh... about 15 or so. Off the top of my head: Quake 3, NOLF 2, Half Life, Jedi Knight, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo II, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Raven Shield, Freelancer, Allied Assault.

Excellent games, all of them.

Now, why, in the name of Arnold Schwarzhenegger's left biceps, have I come back and played through the FS 1&2 main campaigns in every 5-6 months or so.

Even worse, I've actually modded **** for that game. I've released a frickin' big campaign! :eek2: Unbelievable! I must be mad!

Or, I could just be reliving the sense of awe I caught from the excellent storyline, wonderful voice acting (come on, not even NOLF can beat Robert Loggia's ol' gaffer.), various missions, the one moment in gaming history that actually had me jumping in my chair and yelling "WHAT THE HOLLY ****!" Face it, UT, Freespace is the Half-Life of Space combat sims. It may be old, but it's still new.

And so the AI is laughable, the graphics are dated, and... okay, so there's no 'and'.

Half-Life graphics were laughable even when it was released. In Morrowind every person says "Say what you want, but make it quick" when I'm passing them. NOLF 2 has ridiculously short cut-scenes (one thing I miss from the original game - character development. You don't get much of that in a game). MOHAA is scripted heavier than a B5 episode. Diablo II's single player is non-existant. Freelancer is just plain average. Daggerfall is well... old. But they're all excellent games, and I still play them.

And I play freespace.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

I have read every single reply on this thread and I have come to only one conclusion:   People are starting to wake up.  It is just a game.  A diversion from the real world around us.  I stopped caring about BWO months ago.  I stopped playing FS2 soon after that.  Like the old Mario games, FS has been played to death.  The game has simply lost its fun and will die a slow and dis-honourable death.
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by killadonuts
 I stopped caring about BWO months ago.  I stopped playing FS2 soon after that.  Like the old Mario games, FS has been played to death.  The game has simply lost its fun and will die a slow and dis-honourable death.

Why? We're releasing this summer...
:p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
And in other news today, I crap pure 14k gold!

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by killadonuts
I have read every single reply on this thread and I have come to only one conclusion:   People are starting to wake up.  It is just a game.  A diversion from the real world around us.  I stopped caring about BWO months ago.  I stopped playing FS2 soon after that.  Like the old Mario games, FS has been played to death.  The game has simply lost its fun and will die a slow and dis-honourable death.

Meh, I still play Final Fantasy 1 released 1990 and still like it. It even has a fanbase as large as HLP. Age means exactly **** when you are talking about a game. Freespace is unique, and it will probably always be unique unless someone gets a huge friggin' brainfart and comes up with a new superb space combat sim.

Hell, I even take out my old gameboy game "Pong" to kill time. And I even like it (for 10 minutes) :p

Ow, and I still like Mario :D
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil: