Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Possibility for AI upscaled FMVs of original FS1 and FS2?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nightmare:
Well that looks much better than I expected. Anyway, the issue with the lowpoly ships remains, so you'd have highres pics of lowpoly ships, though you're welcome to experiment with it if you want.

sfried:
I don't mind the lowpoly ships. The same goes for the lowpoly aesthetic of the humans in the games. They're definitely products of its time and yet there's a certain charm to seeing them at a higher resolution.

Nightmare:
Well that's up to you ofc. If you want to experiment with it you might be able to get a free trial version of that software, I don't think anybody else has the tool in question here + it's rather unlikely somebody else does it if you dont step ahead

mjn.mixael:
I have used AI upscaling on other projects. I can tell you it is not as easy as loading in the original FMV and hitting the go button. It takes significant work to get good results. Poorly done upscales result in a very strange wobbly/painterly effect as the computer tries to fill in detail that doesn't exist in the original. Often you have to go scene by scene or shot by shot, tweaking the settings as you go and then stitching it back together later. It's a lot of work to do right.

If you'd like to try it, then go for it. It's not a project I'm personally interested in.

sfried:

--- Quote from: mjn.mixael on March 27, 2022, 04:04:23 pm ---I have used AI upscaling on other projects. I can tell you it is not as easy as loading in the original FMV and hitting the go button. It takes significant work to get good results. Poorly done upscales result in a very strange wobbly/painterly effect as the computer tries to fill in detail that doesn't exist in the original. Often you have to go scene by scene or shot by shot, tweaking the settings as you go and then stitching it back together later. It's a lot of work to do right.

--- End quote ---
Oh I definitely understand that it isn't going to be easy. Most people who work using AI upscale remastering also use other video edition tools and also tinker around with video encoder/decoder formats to "extract the best quality"...which does make me want to ask, what encoder/format is the .mve/.mv2 file that Freespace and its sequel use for cinematics?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version