Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2666218 times)

Re: A celebration of Freespace
i love sharing a name with a juggernaut.  ;)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's a real pity no one's going to call their juggernaut "Snail..."

:sigh:

Anyway, retail screenshots in protest of no one posting!

How nostalgic... I remember when playing that thing was my entire life... Wait... It still is...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Augggghhh!! It burns! Anyway, that's Renegade Resurgence, right?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
How low exactly were those background detail settings? I don't recall FS2 ever having that crappy backgrounds... but I might be wrong, spoiled by FS2_Open... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I know the engine glows on fs2 retail were that crappy. But yeah, never seen the planets that bad (same thing with the crappy background nebulas).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
he probably set all settings to low.

Actually I just fired up retail FS2 the other day to get a feel for the differences, and the nebula effects really do look that bad.  On high.  It was quite an eye opener.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Augggghhh!! It burns! Anyway, that's Renegade Resurgence, right?

Hey, if you didn't like FS2 (retail or modern) you shouldn't be here. :P

The first shot is from shipyard-completed.fs2 (the demo mission from the FRED walkthrough). The other shots were from one of my (now defunct) campaigns.

How low exactly were those background detail settings? I don't recall FS2 ever having that crappy backgrounds... but I might be wrong, spoiled by FS2_Open... :nervous:

Yes, they were set low to bug you guys. :P

They weren't insanely low, however, the detail settings are set to "High," which IMO is more like Medium (and Very Low is more like an imitation of Wolf3d in space)

what?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Wolfenstein 3D. It's an old PC game, one of the first 3D ones, and as such has crappy graphics by today's standards.

i love freespace and i love compiz :D

the cool thing is, that in expo mode, scale mode, and switchers, you are still able to use the joystick

[edit]
oh and don't forget your raincoat, it may be raining out there..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:04:43 pm by schoeggu »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Quel est la derniere chose?

(What is the last thing?)

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR AWESOME!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:57:01 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Raindrop effects... some think it's pretty, I think it's useless.

Don't you get horrible slowdowns with compiz+FS2_Open running at the same time? I always need to disable the 3D-accelerated window manager from Beryl settings before doing any 3D-accelerated stuff... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

no, it runs perfect (only with one fs2_open at the time). afaik you'll need direct rendering (glxinfo | grep direct..

and yes the water plugin is very useless (but aren't most compiz plugins just useless?  :p ) but it's great to show off..

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Some more shots. ;)

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
DaBrain you win the internet with you Uber shots.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Granted, this computer lab I'm posting from is horribly painfully bright (curse fluorescent lighting, curse it I say!), but even so, it's almost impossible to tell what's going on in that last picture.  All I see are random colored lights in a sea of black.  Also, what's up with the lighting on the Artemis turning it red in all those screens?

I know you like to set things very dark, but since I presume these were to show off the new normal maps on the Artemis and Herc II, brightening things up a tad bit would make it more obvious they've been upgraded.  I wouldn't have noticed the normal maps on the Artemis at all had I not seen the pictures in the Big Normal Maps thread a minute or two ago.

Conclusion: I love the maps and can't wait until the public release, but your screenshots are just too dark.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

The Artemis is red likely because the sun in that mission is red.

And the last shot is an Artemis attacking what I think is an Orion, with a Herc II about to run right into it. :p

@DaBrain: The shot from below the Artemis just after it launched missiles is incredible. :yes:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
:eek2: Captain, I'm detecting ridiculous amounts of win in this sector.

-Very well. Change course to intercept, and prepare the docking bay to receive all of it, we don't want to miss any.

...I'll say, the jump from MediaVP 3.6.8zeta to 3.6.10 will be quite a leap. My vocabulary is failing me.

How do you make the skybox starfield so clear and crispy, yet it appears non-tiled as well as non-stretched? It looks like night sky instead of the current default starfield which makes stars look like big blobs instead of points (no offense to it's makers, it's cool but this is better).

What are those lines there? :nervous:

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
If I switch too  often between the (fullscreen) FS2 and the desktop, some maps in the memory get screwed up.

Edit: This one came out quite nice too. Kinda reminds me of an X3 screenshot I took a while ago.

BTW, I've added a really cool visual 'feature' to the media VPs. Ah well... you'll see soon. ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:06:56 pm by DaBrain »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------