Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422799 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.8.1 (combined launcher/installer)
First of all: The issues you encountered with corrupted uploads were all bugs in Knossos itself. Resuming uploads shoild work fine and write-protected files shouldn't cause issues either.

IIRC the case with the write-protected VPs happened at the same time Knossos corrupted all uploads for existing mods. AFAICT I managed to fix all of these (these bugs are one of the reasons I still consider Knossos to be in beta state).

To actually answer your question: You can create a second base folder. By switching your base folders in Knossos' settings, you can test your mods but as I pointed put earlier, this ideally shouldn't be necessary.
Mods only have package subfolders if you're authorized to change/upload them. I call this "dev mode". Whenever you install a mod, Knossos checks if you have write acceess and installs the mod in dev mode if you do. If you logout of your Nebula account (I'm actually not sure if this is possible right now), Knossos won't install your mod in dev mode but you also won't be able to upload it.

I should probably write some unit tests for the upload code to make sure that I catch these bugs before they end up in a release. That, however, requires time I currently don't have...

I want to eventually create a portable version of Knossos; that would make maintaining two installations on the same machine easier.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.1 (combined launcher/installer)
0.9.1 has been released! Download links are in the OP as always.

This version introduces the mod teams and private mods! This means that you can (finally) grant others access to your mod and upload private releases which won't be visible to anyone except your team members.
This release should also fix the install dialog looking like Windows 98 and the TTS settings. I've also fixed a bug which might've caused broken uploads in the past. Sometime during the next week, I'll check the currently released mods and fix any issues I'll find.

EDIT: TTS settings still aren't fixed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:27:16 pm by ngld »

The exploration tab in 0.9.1 seems broken...it says no mods found. Is that a bug?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Are you talking about the Home or the Explore tab? Everything's working fine for me...

Also, when Knossos asked for a game data directory (during your first launch), did you select "C:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos" ?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I'm also having the same problem. When I open the Explore tab, Knossos reports no mods found. Something's busted--it was working fine just before I updated.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Which Windows version are you using?

Which Windows version are you using?

10. I meant the mod exploration tab not the home tab

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Please upload your Knossos debug log (%appdata%\knossos\log.txt).

I just did a fresh Knossos install on Windows 10 and everything's working fine. I also haven't seen anything in the automated error reports so right now I have no idea where the error might be.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Here's my log. Also running Win10.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Attached is my debug

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I've found the bug. Apparently the bug only occurred if you had no private mods, were logged in and the private mod list loaded faster than the public one. I'll fix it in 0.9.2 which will be released sometime this week. Until then you'll see a mod called "0.9.1 BugFix Workaround" if you're logged in which also fixes the bug by just being there (it's marked as private).

I seem to have the same problem a previous user encountered. When trying to select voices from the Speech tab, none show up. There's no drop-down menu. I can use all the voices well and good in wxLauncher, but not in this one. Could it be a problem with Windows10? I've tested it on a Win7 computer, and the Speech drop down menu worked there.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I don't think this is related to the Windows version you use. The COM interface (which is necessary for TTS stuff and progress display in the taskbar) has been broken for a while. I thought I'd finally fixed it in this release but apparently it's still broken. I'll try fixing it in the next version (it's kinda hard to test since the bug only affects released versions).

But is there a way to activate TTS by a command line or something? Without the graphical interface?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You can enable TTS by directly editing the fs2_open.ini. On Windows, it's in %APPDATA%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\.
Look for the SpeechTechroom, SpeechBriefings, SpeechIngame and SpeechMulti lines and replace "=0" with "=1" to enable TTS in the given area.

It worked, thanks a lot! Keep up the good work

Thanks for this, very helpful in getting to play the campaigns through again.

I did notice that the mods that have dependencies on other mods seem to really like downloading the same packages over and over. So if I already have the mod it depends on installed, it knows I do and says so, but then downloads the same package all over again anyway.

E.g. FreeSpace Port MediaVPs is installed and FreeSpacePort Mission Upgrade relies on it, highlights in the download pop up that it is installed and then wants to download it again as part of the Mission Upgrades installation process.

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.2 (combined launcher/installer)
Umm... ok, after updating to the 0.92 version, i can't open the program anymore. It gives me an error: "Failed to execute script __main__", and that's it.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.2 (combined launcher/installer)
I know. I'm working on fixing that.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.3 (combined launcher/installer)
I've managed to fix the bug. If you've installed 0.9.2, here's the update link. Only Windows was affected.