Author Topic: RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign  (Read 132188 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign
Originally posted by Windrunner
WOW, this cam out of the blue. two new camapigns, i am impressed. And some of the guys are right this is mabye one the bigger releases we have had over the past few months

You mean ever, right?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Yup, I'm back.  I have just completed the first two sections of "Sol: A History" and I have extremely little to say.  It can be summed up in just two small sections...

1) Is it just me, or do the command/mission briefing stages go by pretty quickly?  And in the very last mission of the second subcampaign, you could give the player more time to read and digest the broadcast from Earth.  There's no need to rush it at all.

2) Aside from that, very, very good.  The missions are (so far) bug free and challenging.  I hope you're considering working on some of the other campaigns in development.  Talent like this is in great demand and should not go idle for long.

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
Just one bug that I have found.  On the mission where you first jump into the system with a bigass sun (damn that thing bugs me), the Custodian warps out without any warning whatsoever, and so does everything else.  I can't warp out, and none of the objectives were completed.  What am I supposed to do?
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Umm, can you be a little more specific?  Mainly: what's the name of the mission?

I believe there's a word for this...

Whoa!

What an entry!
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Originally posted by adwight
Just one bug that I have found.  On the mission where you first jump into the system with a bigass sun (damn that thing bugs me), the Custodian warps out without any warning whatsoever, and so does everything else.  I can't warp out, and none of the objectives were completed.  What am I supposed to do?

Oh dear. This is... baffling... could you maybe open up the mission in FRED (I'm guessing it's Hmsk-B4) and see if there's anything messed up in it?

That should not be happening in any case. You should be getting chatter from the Custodian, Alpha 3 et al about the blue giant, and then the Trotsky and Guevera should jump in at long range.

1) Is it just me, or do the command/mission briefing stages go by pretty quickly? And in the very last mission of the second subcampaign, you could give the player more time to read and digest the broadcast from Earth. There's no need to rush it at all.

Uh... do they?

Yeah, the broadcast goes by pretty quickly. I'm a hasty person, me. I'll change it one day, but only when I've got other changes to be a-making, 'cause 12MB is a lot of uploading time.

2) Aside from that, very, very good. The missions are (so far) bug free and challenging. I hope you're considering working on some of the other campaigns in development. Talent like this is in great demand and should not go idle for long.

Good, good. I wouldn't want to have to upload it again... *shudder*

But yeah, I've already been approached by Inferno and TVWP with offers I cannot refuse... but in the nice way, of course!

By the way, thanks for providing such detailed feedback! You've helped me iron out a few flaws in my work and I know what to concentrate on for next time - speak slowly and clearly, so to speak.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Dude! That was pretty damned fine, and the fact that you did it on your own makes it even more so. Hats off. The only thing is, now I've spent almost every free minute for the last two days playing this, I'm behgind on both TI and NTV :p

Meh. Twas worth it methinks :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Will have to download this....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

There were a few missions in Homesick with bugs. What I mean is some missions I was not able to jump out and had to kill myself to advance.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Originally posted by Triple Ace
There were a few missions in Homesick with bugs. What I mean is some missions I was not able to jump out and had to kill myself to advance.

More information. Which missions? You completed them, received a pat on the back for a job well done and told to depart, but couldn't? Or for mission failures? Something else entirely?

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Added to the HLP Campaigns' list
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

I think I found the problem in Hmsk-B4.fs2.  The Custodian is set to warp out 120 seconds after the Trotsky arrives, but the message from the Custodian saying they're jumping out only activates after the Trotsky's been around for 180  seconds.

Normally, 'Command' would have sent the message (since the Custodian would not be around to send it herself), but with the build-in messages disabled, the message never gets sent.

Even then, Alpha 1 should be able to warp out once the events in the chain become true.  However, you have another problem that doesn't allow this to happen.  You used 'never-warp' to break Alpha 1's warp drive.  The effects of never-warp cannot be reversed, so your event that fixes it has no effect.  Use 'break-warp' instead.  That should allow for the restoration of Alpha 1's drive system.

I think that should do it!  I'll go back to S:AH now...  (Crazy ultra-maneuverable Claymores!  Impossible to control! ;) )

EDIT: In retrospect, how did I get past that mission then???  How perplexing... :confused: )

Right.  I have finished "Sol: A History", a most worthwhile experience.  A good balance between crazy and not-so-crazy missions that keeps one on his/her toes.  But, as always, on to the problems and complaints... Drum roll please...

In EAC3-A8.fs2 ("Enemies United") I have too little concerns.
The first is this: the player starts just barely inside the 1000 m. zone around the Macavity.  I suggest making the start position closer by 50 to 100 m.  The reason is that when the Macavity starts to move, the player may automatically fail the mission.   By not having the split-second reaction time required to speed up when the Macavity speeds up, the 1000 m. mark is easily reached in those early seconds of the mission.  
The second conern is Command's warning about being too close to the Macavity.  You have the event repeat every second.  This leads to a backlog of messages such that when the player withdraws from the danger zone, the 'warnings' just keep coming and coming.  Consider making the message repear over a greater interval of time.  Around five seconds, perhaps?

In EAC4-A5.fs2 ("The Unexpected Quarter") there is a very small, minor bug.  The DirDesFleet event's directive shows up as the following: 'Destroy Cruisers (6)'  This, of course, is incorrect since there are only five enemy cruisers.  The 'sixth' is a result of including the 'not-destroyed-delay' event for the Lindos (a.k.a. the Lindos is the sixth 'cruiser'.)  Consequently, when all cruisers are destroyed and the directive is completed, it looks like there is still one target left.  As I said, very minor, and the rest of the mission works just fine.

In EAC4-B2.fs2 ("The Star that Failed") there is another minor bug.  At the end when the Throne and Majesty are slated to be destroyed, I had the Majesty surviving the 'execution' (hull was only down to 85%).  I suspect that the destroyer is not quite in the line of fire.  Easily fixed, no?

As a side note, I've just realized that many of the mission briefing stages seem to be missing icons in the visual component.  The result is that you have the screen turning to center on some invisible batch of ships.  It could be that I am the only one having this problem, and I'm not quite sure how to correct this.

Well, enough from me already.  Back to brooding over my own mission...

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Good news: Homesick's been patched! Derelicts now are derelict, events trigger at the right time, the Khufu and Kintyre now dance, and the Geryon can shoot again. Plus, there's an extra check for the bomb in the Speed! bonus mission.

I'll check SAH now, but I must mention that icons disappeared when I played through SAH with FSOpen, but were there originally when I was making/testing it with normal FS2. One culprit I'm thinking of is an Arcadia icon in EAC3-A1, first mission of the 2357 'Cold War' campaign, which ought to be just above the 'Pirates' fighter wing in one of the briefing slides. Then again, I may have simply just done something horribly, horribly stupid...

Updatin' time!

Um. Patch for Sol: A History now available, some minor fixes and Freespace icons that I forgot to put in first time 'round... New Sol: A History being uploaded now. 12.5MB, that's a lot of stuff to upload.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 03:03:14 pm by 1432 »

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
soo far, on a scale of 1-10 how is it?
im still grappeling with the speed that you did this...
im gessing you dont have a gf ;)
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by kv1at3485
The effects of never-warp cannot be reversed, so your event that fixes it has no effect.  Use 'break-warp' instead.  That should allow for the restoration of Alpha 1's drive system.

That's slightly incorrect and since this is the FRED forum I ought to correct that :)

From My FAQ

I noticed you are using never-warp. Why not break-warp?

Never-warp prevents the ship from leaving until the allow-warp order is given. Break-warp merely breaks the jump engine. It can be fixed by the fix-warp SEXP but it can also be repaired if the player docks with a support ship.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hmm, didn't know that, karajorma.  Thanks for pointing out mistake.  This is something I'll have to remember... :nod:

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
Alright, for some reason when I replayed the mission after about 10 times it did it.  I think one of my wingmen died so it didn't happen or somethings.  Anyways, I'm pissed because of the mission after Return to Oz, the Shield has 3 hp and I can't protect it worth a ****...  I'm tempted to just die 5 times and move on.
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Originally posted by adwight
Alright, for some reason when I replayed the mission after about 10 times it did it.  I think one of my wingmen died so it didn't happen or somethings.  Anyways, I'm pissed because of the mission after Return to Oz, the Shield has 3 hp and I can't protect it worth a ****...  I'm tempted to just die 5 times and move on.

Oh dear.

All I can suggest is redoing Return to Oz. Did the Mammon do that damage to the Shield? If so, order your wingmen to attack the Mammon (after you've taken out Osyluth wing, of course), 'cause it runs away once you get it down to 35 strength.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
One minor complaint I'd make is that quite often there is a delay of a few seconds between the Deimos leaping out and you recieving orders to do the same. Quite often the orders only appear once you're the only ship left.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]