Author Topic: FRED Question  (Read 2504 times)

How do you force a set of ships to arrive near a specified target?

Essentially, I need a wing of hostile fighters to arrive near a transport and I'm not quite sure how to do it.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Editors > Wings > Arrival > Near ship > Target > select the ship you want the wing to arrive nearby > select distance.

Okay, thanks for the quick response!
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Interesting. A FRED question in the right forum :D

Post more I wasn't quick enough to answer this one :(

:lol:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I don't have any more at the moment, unfortunately.

*lightbulb goes off over head*

Wait, you could go write a couple of Wiki pages on different SEXPs!  That would help!
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Thats not a bad idea, wiki for fred!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Moonsword
Wait, you could go write a couple of Wiki pages on different SEXPs!  That would help!

I covered the ones that most people have trouble with for FRED in my FAQ agaes ago.

I've wiki'd a fair portion f them too anyway :)

Kara, I've got something for you:

Is it possible to delay an event firing until you want it to, not when it is first theoretically possible for it to work?
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Moonsword
Kara, I've got something for you:

Is it possible to delay an event firing until you want it to, not when it is first theoretically possible for it to work?

Not quite certain what you mean by "until you want to" Moonsword. Most of the SEXPs like ship destroyed etc already have a delay built in.  If for some reason you are using events that don't have a delay in any of their SEXPs you can always chain another event on and use the chain delay (or simply use is-event-true).

If that's not answered the question and example may help me see what you want :)

I think you missed what I wanted entirely.

I understand delay events.  That's not the problem.  I need the directives to not show until that is enabled.  If not, I can get around it.  Still, I'd prefer that I not have to do that.

Addenum:  Kind of like how you can invalidate and validate objectives.  I need them 'invalidated' until an event 'validates' them.
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Aha. Easy. Chain them to an event that only comes true when you want the directive to appear. This is rarely a restriction of any sort since almost every time you have a new directive appear you'll generally have to have a message to tell the player about it anyway :D

If you take a look at the walkthrough you'll notice that's how they prevented the return to base messages appearing right at the start of the mission :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 04:29:54 pm by 340 »

Oh, thanks.
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.