Author Topic: [FA] FRED Academy Sign Ups  (Read 34386 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
[FA] FRED Academy Sign Ups
Okay. The campaign ideas are in and it's time to start signing people up for the FRED Academy. :)

I need all the people who are interested to post here so I can get an idea of the numbers involved. I also need to know if you want to FRED using FRED Open or FRED 2 Retail. There is very little difference in the difficulty level of the two programs so it's basically down to whether or not FRED 2 Open will run for you.

We'll be running two campaigns similtainiously. One for FRED2 Retail and one for FRED2_Open. That way no one will be excluded from the project and there should be no problems regarding running out of missions.

Anyway without further ado here are the chosen campaign plots

Campaign 1 is based on Black Wolf's ideas.
Spoiler:
The campaign revolves around discrepancies in the time and locations that the Iceni was spotted. After Capella the GTVA discover that the Iceni wasn't the only ship of its class ever built and that a second one was built by Bosch as a backup plan. Basically the campaign revolves around stopping a plot by the remains of the NTF.

Campaign 2 is based on mr.Who's idea of making a campaign based on the 6th Fleet desperately trying to stay alive following Rear Admiral Koth's attack on Epsilon Pegasi. I liked this one cause it's a piece of FS2 history we all know quite well. Plus it's a nicely desperate scenario :)

Which campaign ends up with which version of FRED is basically dependant on the numbers of people who sign up :)

Since I got to pick which campaigns we're doing this time I'm not going to take any part in the process next time. It will be down to all the newbie FREDders, playtesters and experts to chose what gets made once one of these campaigns finishes :D

I'll wait till Sunday and then I'll post the mission outlines and let people get to work. :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:18:54 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Wait what's going on?
Whatever it is, I'm likeing it... go on :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The details of how the FRED Academy came into existance and what it's about are on these threads

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26495.0.html

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26535.msg537320.html#msg537320

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Hmmm... I wonder what other things I'm missing, anyway looks good :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Hmmn, I could sign up for a mission or two I guess. I'm starting to re-work my own Campaign but it's ages from ever being completed so in the meantime it might be cool to do something on the side that will be released.

I'm still using FS2 v1.2 retail btw, I've never downloaded open because I'm not sure it'll run on my pooter :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:21:40 pm by 1332 »

Offline magatsu1

I could do a couple. Not sure about FRED3.6 though. Any idea which FRED_Open we might use BTW ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Which ever one you want :D The only reason I'm running two campaigns is cause I'd consider it horribly unfair to have someone FRED missions for a campaign they couldn't play cause other missions used FS2_Open.

If you don't mind the fact that you might not be able to play the finished campaign you could FRED for the FS2_Open campaign using retail. :)

Personally I'd reccomend FRED2. 3.5.5 which you can get from here or the version available here  over the latest version of FRED2 which is available here
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:32:10 pm by 340 »

Doesn't matter, I could play my own mission and get feedback from others about it so that's mostly what matters.

I like the campaign idea that is blacked-out btw.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:59:16 pm by 1332 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
pffft...Black Wolf beat me at it again :( :p

I'll sign up for Campaign two - Chasing down (or being chased down by) rear Admiral Koth seems like a rather interesting proposal indeed.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You don't need any training Singh. I've played your missions :D If you want I'll take MG mission 3 apart over the weekend though :D

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
meh... why not... if you need anyone you can count me in if you wish :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Fergus

I too wish to take part in this experiment.  I had a campaign idea but looking at the forum lots of people have had ideas and disappeared.  Lets just hope all our meager talents arn't completely rubbish
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline JR2000Z

*signs for FS Open*
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Well, I'd like to sign up to use FRED2 Retail. and like the blacked-out mission. pretty cool.

I actually had the same idea only with shivans. I made a mission about it, and put it up for download.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by karajorma
You don't need any training Singh. I've played your missions :D If you want I'll take MG mission 3 apart over the weekend though :D

something  which ive been asking ye to do for a month too :P

Edit:
And yes, I still need training. Ive only made a few missions (I have yet to make any Red Alert ones) and my experience aint THAT good. This will allow me to get practice, not to mention be part of a project that has a chance of finishing within a few months too :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 09:53:08 pm by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I would sign up, but my question would be, what exactly would working on one of the campaigns entail?  I have a basic knowledge of Fred2 (I successfully completed the tutorial mission), but I wouldn't be much good at coming up with story ideas/dialogue.  In short, I don't have a creative bone in my body :p.  Is there any place in a project like this for someone who can handle the technical aspects but not the imaginative ones?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Read the threads karajorma quoted...
Originally posted by karajorma
The details of how the FRED Academy came into existance and what it's about are on these threads

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26495.0.html

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26535.msg537320.html#msg537320
All you have to do is learn FRED.  Karajorma will handle all the story and campaign aspects as well as the training of FREDders.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Singh

something  which ive been asking ye to do for a month too :p

Edit:
And yes, I still need training. Ive only made a few missions (I have yet to make any Red Alert ones) and my experience aint THAT good. This will allow me to get practice, not to mention be part of a project that has a chance of finishing within a few months too :P

I didn't take it apart cause it worked and I could see very little wrong with it as a player. :) Besides I didn't want to tread on anyones toes by appointing myself Lord High FREDder of MG and disparaging everyone elses code :D

Ghostavo, Fergus and Mongoose I need to know which version of FRED you'd prefer to use. I need to know the numbers so that I can decide which campaign is which. :)

Offline mr.WHO

*signs for FS Open* + campaign 2 :).
I goona need a lot of history of that event. I've completed main Fs2 campaign about 15 times :) , but last time when I've that campaign was 1,5 year ago :(.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:29:34 am by 1471 »

Oh it's a very good idea. I have done only Translations of Missions, but it was nice to create own Missions.

Signing up for both.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele