Author Topic: [FA] FRED Academy Sign Ups  (Read 34387 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
All I can say is... :wtf:

What the hell. It's Sunday night and I'm sitting here reading FOUR FRIGGEN pages of a thread that I didn't even know existed! If I'da known, I'dve signed up an ass-long time ago. So...without further ado, you've got 14 newbie fredders.

I'll be working in FSO, and I'm liking that second idea more than Mr. Bosch's wonderful Iceni No. 2.

Offline Axem

Where did they come from?

HLP -- The oddity of the Fredder (Fredderae Campaignae) is one that will forever be a mystery. Not just 2 weeks ago they were offically declared an endangered species. Fredder expert karajorma explains a typical Fredder behavior. "They sometimes just come out of nowhere, show off a few missions, then POOF, they're gone! Gobbled up by the Productivity Lions."

Recently karajorma has set up the Fred Academy to attempt to train the Fredders. As soon as the sign up thread came around, 14 Fredders were signed up within 48 hours. This sudden increase in population asks the question, where did they come from? Scientists are working around the clock trying to solve this mystery. Experts theorize that they were in hiding, and their Fredding instincts were neglected. The promise of Fredding once again may have lured them into the open again.

Soon training will begin and those young Fredders will learn how to use varibles and the art of balancing. One day these Fredders will be released back into the wild where they can join up with other herds or try to make it on their own.

I have waaaay too much time on my hands...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Oh yeah, might as well make it official and sign up as an expert (though the terms open to interpretation I suppose :))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 01:11:02 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Count me in on this.  I need some experience if I'm ever going to make my own campaign, or do anything really good FRED wise.  I've got retail freespace 2, if that's a big issue.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 01:16:05 am by 1550 »
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I guess I'll join too. I'd prefer using FRED2 Open but I can use the old FRED2 as well.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The idea of the Academy is that it will be an on-going thing. Newbies join when they first come to the community (or first start using FRED) and people in the Academy leave when they are clubbed over the head and dragged off kicking and screaming into one of the Hosted projects :D

The only reason I did the sign up thread in the first place was to get an idea of the numbers. It's a good thing I did. I was planning on making the first campaign a 7-8 mission campaign and as you can see I have double that number of people signing on :D

RedMenace and Goulmeister : I need to know if you want to use Retail or FSO.

EDIT : I've counted up the number including the new sign ups I've gotten today and now I've got 20 FREDders to deal with! Between Singhs and Black Wolf's campaigns I've got 17 missions to assign :eek:

Basically that means that I need a good, well planned out campaign idea rather badly. I've got lots of plotline ideas but what I need is a campaign with around 10 missions with the actual missions already laid out ready for FREDding. If anyone has one submit it now and you're almost certain to see it get made.  If anyone wants to write up the Epsilon Pegasi campaign as a 10 mission campaign that would be exceedingly useful to me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 03:50:04 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I believe I can elongate the Epsilon Pegasi Campaign a bit if you prefer; but definately going to need permission first.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by karajorma
I've never bothered seperating out the directives cause they're easy enough to spot in FRED anyway.

I meant FRED1, since they don't turn red when you add a directive...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You can easily separate by naming the event that makes it obvious it is a directive.
'Gemini directive' or 'Make all the red dots disappear on your radar directive'
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline redmenace

I will be using FRED_Open AND fs2_open
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Hippo
I meant FRED1, since they don't turn red when you add a directive...

aha. That explains it :)

Personally I don't seperate out the directives cause I like the events that occur first to be at the top.  That and the fact that an event with a directive in it can quite often be chained to an event below so that something happens once the directive is accomplished.

Offline Fergus

I can plan out the Epsilon Pegasai campaign on paper in quite some detail.  (Yes I too had my own campaing idea, but I put it on hold for the good of this wonderful comunity).  But I would want to know how long it's meant to be ( for the pace of missions)
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Singh already has an Epsilon Pegasi campaign, think about something else.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

i can use either one, ill try fred open.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Which one have you used more? I suggest you to start with FRED_Open anyway, provided you have ever started FREDOpen and made some missions.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Fergus
I can plan out the Epsilon Pegasai campaign on paper in quite some detail.  (Yes I too had my own campaing idea, but I put it on hold for the good of this wonderful comunity).  But I would want to know how long it's meant to be ( for the pace of missions)

Originally posted by TopAce
Singh already has an Epsilon Pegasi campaign, think about something else.

Singh actually planned out the wrong EP campaign (his is Bosch's defection in EP rather than Koth's attack on the system) so you're welcome to go ahead if you wish. Considering that 20 people have signed up after 3 days I may need more missions :D

As for the length of the campaign. You've got 36 hours from the start of the NTF attack until the Colossus is deployed. If you want to continue the campaign until the NTF are kicked out of the system you have a little longer.

Basically the longer the better. Just don't strain credibility by forcing 20 missions into a 36 hour stretch :D

ive only ever used fred retail, open is better or so everyone says so ill use it.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've added you to team 3. Just waiting for a mission write up and then you can start working.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Umm....moo :D

So...when do we start? Where are the plotlines? HUH?! HUH?! :nervous:

Check out the other thread [FA] Getting the Ball Rolling