Author Topic: [FA] - Getting the ball rolling  (Read 33838 times)

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
[FA] - Getting the ball rolling
ive got another question. If the damocles is heading for Capella and the mission takes place in EP, then where is the damocles comming from?

Also are we trying to capture or destroy the damocles. or should it be destroyed while we are trying to capture it, eg self destruct.

Is it possible to have a ship warp out before the mission starts, so as soon as you're in the mission all you see is a warp hole closing?  because i could use this to extend the campaign if anyone wanted it to last a couple of mission longer (3-5).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:21:07 am by 1659 »

Well in my mission the Damocles is in Polaris, so that'd be my guess.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
ok, ill use Polaris. anyone got any help for me on my other questions.

oh and how about this new question. How do you clear directives?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US
oh and how about this new question. How do you clear directives?

Not quite certain what you mean by clearing directives.

Directives work like this.

You make an Event in the Events editor. You add some text to the Directives Text box (which is what appears on screen in the mission.

If the event looks like this

Destroy Damocles
-when
--is-destroyed-delay
---NTfg Damocles
--do-nothing

When the damocles has been destroyed for 5 seconds the directive will turn blue (i.e completed). If the damocles can't be destroyed (i.e it jumps out) the directive will turn red (failed).  Until either of those two happen the directive will remain in the white, incomplete stage.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
yes, i now realise my mistake. I thought that you had to activate the directive by using:

Disable Damocles
-when
--is-has-arrived
---NTF Damocles
--do-nothing

Then i had to deactivate it somehow (complete the directive) when the player disabled the Damocles.

but now i see that the directive is always there and should be worked like this:

Disable Damocles
-when
--is-disabled-delay
---NTF Damocles
--do-nothing

Oh and im using NTF instead of NTfg, should i change it? and also could someone help me with my other questions. ill repost them now.

If the damocles is heading for Capella and the mission takes place in EP, then where is the damocles comming from?
- (Akalabeth Angel suggests Polaris, so ive used that, but i need to be 100% sure)

Also are we trying to capture or destroy the damocles. or should it be destroyed while we are trying to capture it, eg self destruct.

Is it possible to have a ship warp out before the mission starts, so as soon as you're in the mission all you see is a warp hole closing? because i could use this to extend the campaign if anyone wanted it to last a couple of mission longer (3-5).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:17:21 am by 1659 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oh and im using NTF instead of NTfg, should i change it?  

Yep. NTF was the designation used for the Iceni in FS2 but that never sat well with me as it is also the designation for Neo-Terran Fighters. The NTFg is the frigate definition that people on decided on.

If the damocles is heading for Capella and the mission takes place in EP, then where is the damocles comming from?
- (Akalabeth Angel suggests Polaris, so ive used that, but i need to be 100% sure)

Had a quick look at the plot and that definately seems to point at Polaris being where the Damocles came from.  Black Wolf has the last word on these matters but I'd say Polaris.

Capture it as far as I can tell.

Is it possible to have a ship warp out before the mission starts, so as soon as you're in the mission all you see is a warp hole closing? because i could use this to extend the campaign if anyone wanted it to last a couple of mission longer (3-5).

I'd simply have the player jump in not facing the Damocles and give it orders to jump out as soon as the mission starts.  That's about as close as you can get in FS2 Retail.  FS2_Open has some features that could do this a bit better but you obviously can't use them in a retail campaign.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yep, it's coming from Polaris. And ultimaely the aim is to just destroy its communications subsystems to stop it sending a message through to Capella. If it flips out and kills people after that, then the GTVA will obviously haveto take it down. It's the end of the campaign, so a big explosion might be nice, but then they also want to take back the subspace communicator. Maybe have both options available.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
hmmm, ok. Polaris it is!  

Now for the extened campaign, ive got a NTF corvette (NTCv Arckangel) jumping out, and the player is facing away from the ship (it seems it's the best i can do. too bad there isnt a warp out before mission starts option like the explode before mission starts s-exp).

So you can have some more missions where you have to take down the corrvette. The subspace communicater could also be actually on the correvtte and not on the Damocles, and command sends in a SOC strike team (including you) to disable and capture the corvette/communicater.
(even after the capture of the corrvette, you could twist the storyline somemore, eg, heavy unexpected NTF resistance, running trying to get back, it's a bit like homesick)

wut do you say?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 06:46:29 am by 1659 »

hi all,
I just finished speaking to karajorma on ICQ.
hes said I can start work on Campaign 1, Mission 6.
so glad to meet ya all, I have been around here b4, as I was learning Fred a few months back.
btw anyone here played Battlezone 2, I used to make maps for that too.

GRASS!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Problem is that as you noticed Mission 6 is already assigned to FreespaceGundam (My bad for not updating the front page).

Anyway following our chat on ICQ you're now on the campaign 3 team, doing mission 8. You don't need to use FRED2_Open as I said but unless you have FS2_Open installed you won't be able to play the campaign you're working on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 06:04:46 am by 340 »

Offline mr.WHO

Woopss, I forgot to finish my missions, I'll finish and send for test them tomorrow :)

ok, I'm nearing completion of my mission,
Just need to get all the final things sorted out, like debrifing, objectives ect..
also need to make the mission tougher, right now I got 4 dragon wings, and they simply wipe out anything I put in there, I may hafta reduce their number abit.
anyway should have it done soon.

GRASS!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Post it in a new thread and I will test it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
im working on my mission but im not ready yet to release an alpha yet. Still getting meseges and cue to execute properly.

Oh i just wanted to know how does the send-messege-list s-exp work?

And i also need some infomation about the team loadout sepcs -(what weapons and ships to disable, as so to be consistent with the campaign)

I really want to leave the Mymirdon, Herc 2, Ulysess and Persues interceptor, available to fly or available to use in the campaign.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:32:47 am by 1659 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oh i just wanted to know how does the send-messege-list s-exp work?

Basically it works like the send-message SEXP except that you have to specify a time (in milliseconds) for the message to be played. Messages after the first one are added by right mouse clicking on the SEXP and using add-data. All messages must include all four nodes (location, priotiry, message name and time) or they won't work.  

And i also need some infomation about the team loadout sepcs -(what weapons and ships to disable, as so to be consistent with the campaign)

I really want to leave the Mymirdon, Herc 2, Ulysess and Persues interceptor, available to fly or available to use in the campaign.

Since the campaign is set after Capella you can definately use all the common fighters you mentioned. It's up to the team to decide if other stuff is available.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
ok, now the send-messege-list seems to be very useful but because i find it easier to set messeges to appear when something happenes (eg. when-has-arrived, send-messege).

But thanks for explaining it to me. Now if blackwolf or anyone working on this campaign could give me an example, of wut weapons/ship they have allowed for selection.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
ok, now the send-messege-list seems to be very useful but because i find it easier to set messeges to appear when something happenes (eg. when-has-arrived, send-messege).

Send-message-list is best suited for situations where you've got pilot chatter during a calm point in the mission or where you've guardianed or invulnerabled all the participants (all of which are either in the mission or soon will be).

If there is a chance that the ship won't be in the mission because it's left or been destroyed you're better off using send-message and checking for those conditions.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
yeah i see your point.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by karajorma
If there is a chance that the ship won't be in the mission because it's left or been destroyed you're better off using send-message and checking for those conditions.

It's the reason I do not like send-message-list very much.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Mission 9, Campaign 3
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story