Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: Now free, forever.  (Read 12654 times)

Offline Anjelus

Re: Team Fortress 2: Now free, forever.
Figures this would happen a few weeks after I buy it  :lol:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
is it just me or are the ****ing servers failing to update properly?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The entire back-end has been getting hammered, so yeah, things have been a bit iffy over the past day.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
It was quite fun today, actually. Played as an heavy for half an hour and I broke some kill records.

Oh, Batutta. A few posts you said that Demo was the most powerfull combat class. I don't really see how that is, but that might just be because the Demoman is the only class I really can't get a hang off.

Demoman has a steep learning curve, but yeah, he's pretty deadly.

One of the things I loved about playing TF2 was that as I played, some classes that I just didn't "get" would gradually click. One by one, I learned to love them all.

Offline Glowhyena

• PC Gamer
    • Steam
Damn... I wasted my $20 on the game before it's free.

Damn... I wasted my $20 on the game before it's free.

You get a hat :P

(You also got to play it much earlier and much longer)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, if you bought it a few days before it went free, I can see being a bit upset, but I've seen a few people ask, "So why did I pay money for this a few years ago?"  Um...so you could play it for the past few years?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I've also seen people say TF2 lost meaning when it became free. My immediate thought was 'No? From what I heard, it lost meaning when it became more about hats and less about Team Fortress.'
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
i was about to DL it, then i saw, it requires Steam to be installed. I pass on that one.

I've also seen people say TF2 lost meaning when it became free. My immediate thought was 'No? From what I heard, it lost meaning when it became more about hats and less about Team Fortress.'

It's actually not really about the hats...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Free hat simulator.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
i was about to DL it, then i saw, it requires Steam to be installed. I pass on that one.

OH GOD DRM ON A FREE GAME  :nervous:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Hmmm....

Since TF2 has now been released for free, and TF2 is a source engine game, does this mean it's possible to download the free version of TF2 and run the Eternal Silence mod off of it? After all, it says on the instructions page you need a copy of a source engine game to run the mod.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

hmmm

steam saved pc gaming

angelus hates steam

angelus hates pc gaming!?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Hmmm....

Since TF2 has now been released for free, and TF2 is a source engine game, does this mean it's possible to download the free version of TF2 and run the Eternal Silence mod off of it? After all, it says on the instructions page you need a copy of a source engine game to run the mod.

Why don't you try it and let us know? :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
HL2.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING

GAAAAAAAABE

actually I have decided that Mongoose will be the physical avatar of Team Fortress 2

MONGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

hmmm

steam saved pc gaming

angelus hates steam

Uhm, no.
Steam did *not* save PC gaming.

I *do* hate Steam.

I *do not* hate PC Gaming.

One *should not* need Steam to play games, it's needless like the hated mother-in-law.
If i want to have sex, i don't invite the mother-in-law over to be present during the act, nor should it be obligation for her to be present.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Meh, whatever.  Go ahead and keep missing out if you've got that kind of piss-poor attitude toward something you've never tried.

Offline newman

How do you know he hasn't tried it? I don't. You like Steam and use it, fine. If someone else doesn't that's also fine and doesn't somehow invalidate your opinion - there's no need to have a go.
Personally I gave in to the more practical aspects of Steam. Sometimes it gives you games for free. Sometimes you'll get to buy them cheaper or as part of a cost efficient pack. But Steam is far from perfect, and in some ways it's downright annoying - I do get where Angelus is coming from.
As for Steam saving PC gaming.. you know it's really, really easy to save something that's in no danger at all :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

hmmm

steam saved pc gaming

angelus hates steam

Because of the fact that Steam is required to install games that I buy out of a box that has no multiplayer (No not TF), I have all the reason to hate it.