Author Topic: SOON TO BE RELEASED: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17  (Read 50822 times)

Offline CT27

Re: WIP: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FSO_Installer_Text_Files

Here is what you'll need to eventually get the campaign on the Installer.  I'm not super tech savvy so if you need advice on that Goober5000 is probably the one to ask.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That installer text file is a massive pain (or, at least, it was for me when I tried to do it, I know it's not so bad for others), and IIRC there are limitations on what specific sorts of sites you can and cannot upload your mod to if you want it to work. Frontlines never got onto the installer because I never sorted either one out.

I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with people now, making sure you do it right from the start, because going back and trying to do it after or during release crunch, if you're anything like me, leads to it not getting done. ;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CT27

Herkie, in addition to Goober5000, niffiwan might be someone to talk to about this.  He's pretty knowledgeable about tech stuff.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
thanks for that vote of confidence in me, but I've not created a real installer file. I mean, I can try to help out but you'd be better off contacting someone who has their campaign in the installer already, i.e. has already done this :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

Something I've noticed about the Installer is that, for some reason, stuff seems to download faster on the installer than from usual download sites (mediafire, moddb, freespacemods).  At least that's been the case for me.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The easiest way to make an Installer text file for your mod is to find an existing mod and adapt its text file.  Really, it's not as hard as it looks.  Unless you have a complicated mod setup with a lot of optional add-ons, all you have to do is change the name, the description, the URLs, and the filenames.

EDIT: The file for Homesick is about the simplest possible mod file one could make.  The file for JAD and Vassago's Dirge is a bit more complicated, but not too hard.  The only tricky part is that you'll need to either remove or update the HASH lines.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:39:43 am by Goober5000 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think one of the biggest issues is finding appropriate file hosting. Commonly used cloud storage options like mediafire, dropbox, etc, don't allow direct linking. Freespacemods should work (assuming someone is approving uploads over there again), and I think FreespaceFiles works ok (but I haven't seem anyone use it for an installer hosted mod yet)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks for the heads up, CT. By the way, you are right about the new "Dragon Slayer" mission when I said half of the enemy ships are Lucifers (20 super destroyers). When I played it, it took me 40 minutes and my fingers ached. That's not good. so I re-made it completely and the final work will take around 16 minutes to complete BUT the same number of Lucifers are the same....How will you do that? .....Well, there is a surprise.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
About installer "text files" and other installer "methods." I will study that as well. My cloud storage as of now is Media Fire but it is a free account. The files don't stay up there for very long and it might have bandwidth limits (I will check). Anyway, I will post a Direct Link here upon release. Thanks very much guys for bringing this up.

PROJECT UPDATE:
All missions are finished. I might discard the newer missions (I feel bad), especially those that has no bearing in the story so the end result maybe lesser number of missions. But who knows...I might wake up and decide to reconsider. The only things that are left to do now is the CB Anims, Tech Anims (not static) for the new weapons, John Ricter's Diary (Fiction Files) and some Briefing Icons (I think I finished them, but I will check). One more game soundtrack will be added and a couple of cut scene music (I remixed and engineer these audios myself). The entire mod has already grown to more than 2.5GBs. Oh yes,...The interface screens for 16:9 format but that will be an update and not in the release.

I might be gone for a couple of weeks or more. Lot of work to do and I love it. I will be pretty busy considering I am also opening a new store. I have a target mark and I will try to achieve it. The target is NEXT MONTH! So...See you guys....and thanks to everybody. The next post MIGHT be the release.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:01:05 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

A minor suggestion on how to make things a little more convenient perhaps when you do release the campaign:

When you do a release thread, it's probably easier to put patches in the OP rather than leave them throughout the thread.  It's easier IMO for people to find them that way.  Make a post saying a patch is available but put the actual patch (if one is needed) in the beginning of the thread.

Just a suggestion.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
If it were me, I'd start an entirely new RELEASE thread!

I'm looking forward to this Herkie :D
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If it were me, I'd start an entirely new RELEASE thread!

I'm looking forward to this Herkie :D
Yup. Make a new thread. This one is quite for news and annoucements. Release deserve for its own one. It's cleaner this way.

I hope you release it soon :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

That's what I was suggesting...a new release thread when the campaign's released.  When and if patches are needed, put them in the OP (I've seen long release threads where it can be difficult to track down patches released).

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
That's what I was suggesting...a new release thread when the campaign's released.  When and if patches are needed, put them in the OP (I've seen long release threads where it can be difficult to track down patches released).

My apologies, I misread what you wrote!

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I agree. I will make a new release thread and edit the main post if there are new patches or update. I will edit this thread's main post too (I placed some "changes" notice). Anyway, I AM BACK and I am in full testing mode now, refining things along the way. My testers here are going nuts! One of them, a DOTA 2 addict has stopped playing his addictive game and was converted to full Freespace 2 fanatic. He said he never played anything like it. By the way, what is an "OP"? Thanks for the advice, guys.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:33:23 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
There are 3 missions (4 mins each, short but essential to the story) that I merged into one, with each segment divided into locations with "Nav Points" so I made use of the "Autopilot" feature. I might decide to cut the "Vasudan Arc" (6 missions) out of the campaign (it actually comprised of one Act). The story Arc just to emphasized the political nature of the Third Shivan War. I can make this as a separate sub-campaign or just cut the number of missions in the Vasudan Arc and absorb them to the previous Act.

For those who are not familiar with this campaign, this not just an entirely character-driven campaign. The story also covers a scene in a galactic scale with one man who carried the whole burden.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:42:23 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

I agree. I will make a new release thread and edit the main post if there are new patches or update. I will edit this thread's main post too (I placed some "changes" notice). Anyway, I AM BACK and I am in full testing mode now, refining things along the way. My testers here are going nuts! One of them, a DOTA 2 addict has stopped playing his addictive game and was converted to full Freespace 2 fanatic. He said he never played anything like it. By the way, what is an "OP"? Thanks for the advice, guys.

In this context, OP= opening post

Also, the Vasudan missions sound interesting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:53:33 pm by CT27 »

Offline Admiral-Sabree

• College student, studing in advertisment
The only thing I ask is that if you do cut a mission that is completed and not added in a mini campaign can you add it as a selectable mission from the tech room. Just hate to see work go to waste. So anticipating this campaign.
So it begines...

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I'm not a fan of the Vasudan part in FS2, however, I would say to you to leave them in as it fits nicely into the original canon with officer exchanges. If it enriches the story then definitely leave it in.

I don't like going to the cinema for several reasons, but the one I highlight is the sometimes shortened version of the movie. If you want to get to see extra scenes and such then you have to buy the director's/extended cut. This annoys me because I want the full story the first time. Films that I think have benefited from those scenes for extra depth include Aliens, Terminator 2, Independence Day and Dune.

Dune is subject to massive freaks of editing as the original cinema release had massive chunks cut from the film. An extended version was released, but it did not include everything. A full director's cut was released which included everything and added something like 45 mins (iirc) to the original release. When you compared the original release to the director's cut (which David Lynch hated and would not allow his name to be associated with it) you could see how some scenes had changed position in the film and altered the arc, whether for better or worse is just a matter of opinion.

I would say to include everything that you have done which adds depth to the story. It is your story to tell and I want to experience all of it! The only time I think something should be cut is if it erodes the continuity in you story.