Author Topic: Han Solo  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Let's open this thread, despite having no marketing yet available for it.

This will be, I predict, the very first consensual flop that Disney produces with the Star Wars' brand.

Or, I might be wrong and it will be the best Cowboys in Space movie since Guardians 2. Wait, I'm repeating myself here.

I really liked Rogue One, whilst first being rather skeptical of Disney's attempt to milk the SW franchise turn Star Wars into something similar to the MCU. I'm very, very skeptical about a Han Solo movie, and all of the reasons are in the words "Han Solo".

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
My worry is ANH basically has his arc in it. So this new movie is either going to have him a dick the entire time, or he has an arc here... becomes a jerk again and has a new arc? Weird.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I'm dissapointed Disney didn't choose a period in the Star Wars timeline where they could make this canon.

:nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This will be, I predict, the very first consensual flop that Disney produces with the Star Wars' brand.

Financially, there's no way a Star Wars film is going to be a flop. Even Revenge of the Sith was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year and it had to deal with the fact that the two films preceding it were complete and utter ****e. There's too much of the "You must see it on the big screen" for even people like me who think it's likely to be rubbish to not go to see it.

Disney face some massive problems with this film. Han Solo is a hugely popular character who has to enter ANH as a self-serving dick. The only character that it's possible to see him giving a **** about before ANH is Chewbacca, and trying to make a film where only Han seems to understand the character in peril would be pretty difficult.

So I don't see how they can avoid betraying Han's character unless they make the film about why he became a self-serving dick. If they make the film about some event in Han's early life that made him only care about himself and we actually see why he ended up the way he did, that might work. It might even make for a good film.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Financially, there's no way a Star Wars film is going to be a flop.

I believe Star Wars: The Clone wars was a flop, granted that should've been direct to video.
Stuff

As long as Han shoots first at some point in the movie I'm sure nerds will love it.

Offline Luis Dias

let's all see the grandiose story of how amazingly and epically Han single handedly made a kessel run in less than some ****ing parsecs, oh boy that will be so awesome and original i can't wait to see it oooohboy oooohman, and they have to show how he got his ship from lando of course man that will be glorious everything we know about this character will finally be rendered on screen aint that marvelous holy****

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I actually know only this guy:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

I'll just join the chorus and say that I have no idea how they are going to manage a movie that is both interesting and doesn't mess with how the character in introduced in ANH. I doubt I'll be seeing this in theater, baring glowing reviews from my friends & relatives.

As long as Han shoots first at some point in the movie I'm sure nerds will love it.
Cheap but effective quick gag, I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in ^^.

I actually know only this guy:
*snip*

I miss Stargate...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just as a bit of an aside, I work for Wal-Mart and I used to work in the Electronics department.  Back when Disney Infinity was big, we had a section for all of the characters, and I remember that whoever assigned the name in our system to the Han Solo character must have not had any contact with Star Wars whatsoever, because in our system is was labelled as "Hans Solo".  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh that's just crying out for a photoshop.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot I was dealing with Star Wars for a sec and there was no way someone hadn't gotten there first.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:13:33 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm very, very skeptical about a Han Solo movie, and all of the reasons are in the words "Han Solo".
pretty much exactly this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Cheap but effective quick gag, I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in ^^.

I think a reasonable fear is that throughout the movie, shooting first will be some kind of running gag, or worse, actually made into part of Han's character arc.

Offline Luis Dias

Agreed. Can't wait for the scene where he doesn't shoot first and gets hurt, the evil gunman telling him "you should'a have shot first, Solo" cue wink wink.

Offline Mpez

let's all see the grandiose story of how amazingly and epically Han single handedly made a kessel run in less than some ****ing parsecs
There's still some room for being clever here. He technically said that

so they might as well have someone else flying it.

Not expecting too much, but they can still make it decent.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well the Pod Race was one of the better scenes in Episode I AFAIR.

After the release of this movie, maybe the Kessel Run Time Race is exactly that, what we will love about this movie?  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:23:11 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Well the Pod Race was one of the better scenes in Episode I AFAIR.

It was until Lucas re-edited it and screwed it up.
There's a point in the race where someone in front of Anakin crashes and in the theatrical release, he simply ducks as the debris flies over and then Shmee on the ipad looks away in an "I can't watch" moment.  Then later on Lucas, thought oh hey instead of just having him duck, let's have debris smash into his pod and disconnect one of his engines so Anakin needs to get out a grabby stick and pull the engine back in or re-connect a hose or whatnot. Meanwhile his cockpit I think is spinning around uncontrollably.

Basically Lucas forgets what pacing and building tension is, and puts a moment in the middle of the race that is far more tense and dangerous than its climactic confrontation with sebulba.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:00:42 pm by Akalabeth Angel »