Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762618 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
If we follow your logic, we should also take down

- BtRL, because it has BSG content
- TBP, because it has B5 content and
- Derelict, because it has a reskinned Iceni,
When you mention this it makes more sense about the fsport.

I'm not saying make the fsport standalone, just pointing out that if one wanted to do so they probably could. The fso engine is flexible like this and offers this capability. Not that the fsport project is actually going to do this or that they should; i'm not hinting at that. Essentially fsport really is fs1 for free, sure on a different engine and the fact that it's a mod. But, you know whatever lets me play fs1 in higher quality and enables me to not need to own the cd's to use to play the full fs1 campaign and expansion (the greedy reasoning of why i think of the fsport as not just a mod, but also a really good duplication of fs1 on a different engine which of course comes in the form of a mod).

I mainly started this argument because with the fs2 being gone from the installer it really seemed like, "since they did something, it doesn't seem like they did it all the way." That being removing illegal content from the installer. I really don't care what's up for download by the installer anyhow, just that thought i have quoted here was in my head. And i thought it pretty awkward. I also started this argument with the objective to learn why certain things are on the installer and some aren't.

I have nothing more to add to this conversation. If someone else wants to say something to one direction or the other, please, help yourself. And if you, S-99, still think that including FSPort to the Installer is the single most gruesome thing after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you can easily state your opinions by boycotting the Installer. And even HLP.
Anyway, i got as much as what i wanted to find out. It's not about boycotting the installer or desiring a removal of the fsport. When i saw that fs2 was gone for reasons of legal mumbo jumbo, and then i saw the fsport still there. To me it was gruesome to have the fsport still on there, it seemed inconsistent with the idea of getting rid of illegal content. Which in all regards i've found out, is something the installer really can't do very well because of the complexity of some of these mods like fsport.

The only things i can gather from this fiasco besides the gathered knowledge, is that only if fs2 were a mod it'd still be on the installer list, and that mod = god status and pointless to see in other lights simply because of mod. People are going to take this as highly cynical which it was written in that light, but however, it's what finally identifies the installer as a mod installer and nothing else. No one can use the installer to install pirated games (fs2) anymore.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:11:56 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

I'm pretty sure the FSPort is permissible because of the work put in to re-create models, or at least convert them, rebuilding all the missions from scratch, and so on.

Either way it's permissible when we eventually HTL all the models there. Then the only thing we need to worry about is the voice files and the cinematics.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Ugh. I leave for a couple days, and come back to find DRAMA.

Anyway.
On at least three different occasions it has been stated that FS2 was included in the Installer because there were practically no means for getting the game from legal markets, apart from eBay where one might have to pay $70 for a copy. The point was to keep the game alive and possibly encourage certain factions to start publishing/distributing it again. Now, GOG is doing that. They're distributing the FS games. And with cheap prices. There is now a convenient legal method for acquiring the games. So, FS2 should be dropped off from the Installer. End of story.

If you don't like it, you can always warez0r it from the torrentsorz or HotU or whatever.

Sure, it might be more difficult for totally new people to get FSO running now that it isn't included in the Installer, but that's why at least I'm here. We'll help them. Explain what must be done in order to play FSO. Explain why GOG is fun.
This is pretty much my opinion. In case you people forgot, the Installer started out with the mission of making FSO easy and simple to install on top of FS2. As the website says, "The FreeSpace Open Installer is an attempt to significantly reduce the difficulty of installing FreeSpace Open over a Retail FreeSpace 2 installation."

The reasoning behind including the retail files was twofold:
1. The only place to get FS2 was eBay, at ridiculous prices from shady dealers.
2. Even if you bought FS2, if you were on Mac or Linux, it was very difficult to get the files in the proper places.

Now, problem one has been fixed, and the second problem is much better now, as you can simply run the GOG installer in WINE.

I always planned to take the retail files back out, and this was as good a time as any.

One more thing:
Is the installer dying? Is it not going to be maintained? Will the project not be handed over to someone else?

Where have you been for the past year? The Installer's been in a "code coma" since September 24, 2007, waiting for either me to get some enthusiasm for working on it for for someone else to show some interest in it. Just in the past week, Goober checked out the code to see if he could clean up the interface, and I started working on a new feature again, but other than that...

The reason the Installer is dying is because no one has both the skill and desire to work on it.

EDIT: Also, please direct any questions regarding the legality of the FSPort to the FSPort team themselves. They can decide if they want to cripple the FSPort download in some way that makes it require FS1, but I'm not going to make a choice and force it on them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:26:05 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Turey, what version of the Launcher does the Installer provide? I'm using 5.5.0.4..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Turey, what version of the Launcher does the Installer provide? I'm using 5.5.0.4..

It claims to be 5.5c. I should probably update that to 5.5d later today.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've always been a manual SCP downloader (not to cast dispersions on your fine work of course) I just  can't seem to find a launcher topic and i wondered if your installer had an option to update the launchers. 
:)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The only place I can find the launcher these days is in cole's sig.

Yeah, but the port has already been ported. The fsport still does have its similarities with fs2 open either way, yes there not exactly the same.
The main issue is that the bare essentials for getting the fsport up and running are there, but the bare essentials for getting fs2 open up and running are not (some of them are there like the media vp's, but lacking stuff like cbani's, missions, voice files).

Saying that including the MediaVPs is the same as including the FS1 content is not the same.  You _can't_ just have your FS1 retail CDs, and the FSO engine, and play enhanced FS1.  You have to have the many changes made in the FSPort, be it missions, tables, model tweaks, whatever.  It's data from a different game that had to be carefully tweaked to work.  To play the FSport on the upgraded engine at all, the vast majority of that modified FS1 content needs to be available.  That said, I still think we should find a way to cripple the Port in such a manner that you would need to get something off of the FS1 discs for the full experience.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That said, I still think we should find a way to cripple the Port in such a manner that you would need to get something off of the FS1 discs for the full experience.

You need FS1 to get the full experience, because only FS1 is FS1.

That is our official position.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Saying that including the MediaVPs is the same as including the FS1 content is not the same.  You _can't_ just have your FS1 retail CDs, and the FSO engine, and play enhanced FS1.  You have to have the many changes made in the FSPort, be it missions, tables, model tweaks, whatever.  It's data from a different game that had to be carefully tweaked to work.  To play the FSport on the upgraded engine at all, the vast majority of that modified FS1 content needs to be available.  That said, I still think we should find a way to cripple the Port in such a manner that you would need to get something off of the FS1 discs for the full experience.
I in no way implied that including the media vp's is the same thing as including the fs1 content. All i said was that the bare essentials for getting a complete up and running fsport experience is up for download by the installer ready at a moments notice for everyone, and that fs2 is not the same in this regard anymore because the only bare essentials people can get for fs2 is the media vp's and nothing else. This is no way says that including the media vp's is the same as including the fs1 content.

I know that you can't play the fsport without the ported missions and that in itself sort of makes it unnecessary for having the fs1 cd's because of the fact that the official fs1 missions are incompatible with fs2 open along with other stuff from the official fs1 cd's. The fsport has completely been completely redesigned and tweaked to run on the fs2 open engine.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That said, I still think we should find a way to cripple the Port in such a manner that you would need to get something off of the FS1 discs for the full experience.

You need FS1 to get the full experience, because only FS1 is FS1.

That is our official position.

I understand that position, and hope it works well enough, I just wonder how many people will think they don't need to buy FS1 because FSPort is 'close enough'.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Ech....Hunter kept telling me to download FS1, not the port, the real thing...¬¬

Can anyone upload a link?
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
$6 on www.gog.com, if you still need a beta invite I've got one.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Oh hey, look at that, an Installer update! What a surprise!

This update includes:
New Config section replaces the old options page, if you've got ideas for more configs, let me hear them and I'll add them to the config file.
Scroll bars no longer terribly slow.
NOAUTO removed from spec. You can still put it in the file, it's just ignored.
Exception handling! Huzzah!
Six new campaigns:
  • Blue Planet
  • BWO Demo
  • PI
  • STL
  • Twilight
  • Warzone

I just ripped the descriptions off of the wiki, so if the campaign doesn't have a good description, it's the creator's fault (I'm looking at you, BWO!)

There's probably some other stuff, but I can't remember it right now, because it's freaking one in the morning and I've been coding ALL FREAKING DAY.

Anyway, have fun.

EDIT: Bah, looks like there's something wrong with the Twilight zip. I'll look into it.

EDIT2: Fixed. Not sure why it's not creating the folder properly, maybe there's something funky about the zip file. Anyway, some text file trickery fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:34:35 am by Turey »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yay!

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
I've been waiting for this....XD
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
There's something funky with the 3.6.8 mediavps links. In the meantime, I've copied them onto my server and updated the text files, so they should work fine now. If you've been having problems with the mediavps, try re-running the Installer.

Offline eliex

This update includes:
Six new campaigns:
  • Blue Planet
  • BWO Demo
  • PI
  • STL
  • Twilight
  • Warzone

Nice! This is going to please a lot of people! Thank you very much!  :D

EDIT - Ok, I just downloaded it and tried it out. (I know I'm overpraising but . . . ) The 3rd page looks much sleeker than the old one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:49:01 am by eliex »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Umm...

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Umm...

What? That shouldn't be possible. The scrollbar should handle all size increases, and even if it didn't, the main window size is locked anyway.

Either way, I can't begin to imagine how you pulled that off.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm guessing your code locks the window size to some percentage of the monitor's height, or a fixed pixel height regardless of resolution?  If it's percentage based the method could need some adjustment.