Author Topic: Don't buy SW: Battlefront 2  (Read 8133 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Don't buy SW: Battlefront 2
EA's cynicism and exploitation knows no bounds (look at the epic number of downvotes): https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/?st=j9xzevs1&sh=4986ce34

And here's the issue more succinctly summed up:  https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefront/comments/7cnb3i/psa_the_christmas_war_with_ea_is_just_beginning/

EA has made it clear that they are going to continue to exploit gambling psychology and totally **** their playerbase.  It seems they may have finally motivated players to fight back.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Don't buy SW: Battlefront 2
It's a shame, SWBF2 did look kinda interesting in its trailers.

Oh well, that's 60€ I can spend on better games then....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Every single gaming related youtube channel has covered this in one way or another. It's just blatantly pay to win in a 60$/€ title.

And the worse part, they are going to get away with this too. This is the future of the 'triple A' games industry. People will keep buying these titles and the microtransactions within.
gg no re
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Eeeem...

This thread should be named "Don't buy EA games". Almost every game with EA label is actually a crap with tons of microtransactions. Recent titles like NFS: Payback or this are even worse, as paid stuff is affecting actual balance of the game. Activision is no better.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Goddammit. I play BF1 quite a bit, and it has overwatch style Lootboxes: All things in there are entirely cosmetic skins for your guns, planes, and tanks. It's quite alright...

... And then this happens and damn that escalated quickly.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Even worse than all the loot box business, they are still legitimizing the prequels by including scenery and enemies from those disgusting movies.

Say No to anything that legitimizes the star wars prequels!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Before you get out your choice "words" for EA, I would like to prupose to you that you are shooting the metaphorical messenger.

But we have had that discussion before and again and again. It is kinda tiring to have it once more.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:06:34 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Jim Sterlinggg...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Before you get out your choice "words" for EA, I would like to prupose to you that you are shooting the metaphorical messenger.
"Shooting the messenger" would be trying to kill the EA PR flak that posted the reddit comment; EA making the decision to engage in predatory microtransactions and consumers responding poorly is the exact opposite of shooting the messenger. It's called "suffering the consequences of your actions".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Downvotes are still flooding in; that EA guy's post has absolutely crushed the previous downvote record by over an order of magnitude.

A lot of people are saying that people will keep buying the games, and they probably will, but here's the issue of games as a service: you need people playing them for it to work. If the servers wind up populated with a small number of whales, only playing against other whales, they're going to get bored and move on, because the entire point is to crush the plebs that don't have thousands to chuck into the fire.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well EA got scared. They just cut the character credit costs by 75% across the board.

Still not enough, still heavy on randomized microtransactions. The players shouldn't cave. EA knows they're in deep ****.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Downvotes are still flooding in; that EA guy's post has absolutely crushed the previous downvote record by over an order of magnitude.

A lot of people are saying that people will keep buying the games, and they probably will, but here's the issue of games as a service: you need people playing them for it to work. If the servers wind up populated with a small number of whales, only playing against other whales, they're going to get bored and move on, because the entire point is to crush the plebs that don't have thousands to chuck into the fire.

That's something that worries me too - that the game will sell well regardless. I think it will be a case of mum buying wee jim SWBF2 for christmas and wee jim and his mates all have the game as well. Now wee jim and his mates might play the game every now and then, they might even play it a lot, but the gamers out there (people who would identify themselves as gamers) won't be playing it and won't be putting money into loot crates.

I doubt mum is going to let wee jim waste all his pocket money on lootcrates if mum has her head screwed on properly. In the long run there will probably be enough sales and enough players to justify the game's existence, but the loot crate economy won't work because it requires dedicated gamers that will spend money on it. This is an unproven assumption of course, but I think it's fair to say that casual players probably don't engage in microtransactions at the same volume as dedicated gamers.

So the game will probably be a success, but the loot crate system might still fail and hopefully that will send the right message to EA.

I'll admit that this is somewhat wishful thinking on my part, because if the worst happens and EA discovers that this evil ****ing system of theirs actually makes them more money then future games will absolutely adopt the same model and we will plunge into an age of darkness fuelled by the cancer of mobile gaming and microtransactions.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
To bad we couldn't all just agree to be sensible humans and refrain from buying any extra paid content.  So, buy the game, but, even if you think it's worth it, refuse to buy any micro out of principle, which would send EA the same message as boycotting.

Problem is, whales and also those who haven't thought it through, or don't care.  So we're back to not buying the game.

Offline Luis Dias

Belgium is actually investigating the game for the gambling shenanigan.

According to Kotaku:
https://kotaku.com/battlefront-overwatchs-loot-boxes-under-investigation-1820486239

Belgian website VTM is reporting that the country’s Gaming Commission is currently taking a look at loot boxes in video games, with particular focus on EA’s inclusion of them in Star Wars: Battlefront II and Blizzard’s use in Overwatch.

Outstream Video

Peter Naessens, General Director of the commission, says that the practice of buying the add-on boxes—where you don’t know what you’re paying for until you open it—may constitute gambling.

It’s a particular concern for the Commission when the game is available for and marketed towards children, like Overwatch and Battlefront II are (in Europe both titles have a PEGI rating of 12).

If the EU could bring themselves to be on the same page, it would be awesome.

e: Although, tbf, I don't necessarily see this as something fundamentally different than, say, Kinder Surprise. I am just disgusted that this practice is getting widespread and preying on those who are psychologically weak, be them children or adults with mental issues.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Game lootboxes, particularly of the EA variety where they are non-cosmetic and affect gameplay, actually exploit gambling tendencies far more effectively than collector cards and Kinder surprise, etc.  In those, you know you are receiving a product of a particular set value, while the contents themselves are randomized.  In gaming lootboxes, they explicitly set up the system to exploit the ease with which the purchases are made and usually obscure it through a "points" digital currency, which hides the real dollar figure and disconnects the actual financial charge from the gambling.  It's predatory, especially as it targets kids.  To my thoughts, gambling regulators have been exceptionally slow to take this on.

On the other subject, of buying the game but not paying for content, this Twitter thread is a good read:

https://twitter.com/ZenOfDesign/status/930809632859344896

Short version?  2-5% of players will pay for content in F2P games.  Those games rely on a massive player base to keep the game fun and populated for the whales.  The only way to cut off the money from the whales is for regular users not to play the game at all, which makes whales far less inclined to continue to spend any sort of money on it.  As long as some playerbase exists, there will always be a low percentage of users who are willing to fork over major money.  The take-away from the above is that they only way companies take a financial hit for ****ty practices is to cut the number of players.

Hence.... don't buy SWBF2.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Someone needs to integrate the EA logo into this song (cut in the EA logo at "this centipede is a predator", then go on montage of all the heinous crimes against their customers they have committed over the years):

Offline Aesaar

I have zero problem with pay-to-unlock non-cosmetic content in F2P games.  That's how they make their money.  I've probably spent a couple hundred dollars on War Thunder premium vehicles over the last 4 years.  But to have that **** in a full-priced game is ****ing garbage and I refuse to buy a game that has it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I have zero problem with pay-to-unlock non-cosmetic content in F2P games.  That's how they make their money.  I've probably spent a couple hundred dollars on War Thunder premium vehicles over the last 4 years.  But to have that **** in a full-priced game is ****ing garbage and I refuse to buy a game that has it.

That would depend on the curve of paid content.  If the game is structured so that whales rule the roost, while the rest have to fight tooth and nail, even if they splurged a reasonable amount to pay for the game, then that's bogus.  (You shouldn't have to spend more than the game's worth to compete effectively in-game).  I dunno how War Thunder premium stacks up with that, though.  Or WoWs or WoTs, for that matter, although they seemed fair enough when I was playing a year or two ago... those games are fun.. Hmm.  *resists urge to fire WoWs up*

It would appear that papa Disney has stepped in and given a needed smack to its EA step child. The pay model has been suspended for the near future.

While this isn't an all clear to the game. Hopefully, something good will come out of it long term.