Author Topic: [Solved] Trying to run it under FreeBSD :)  (Read 26802 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: [Solved] Trying to run it under FreeBSD :)
I must have missed this commit the first time around, would have loved if this had been mentioned in cross-platform development.  I always love hearing that a new platform is being experimented on.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Sorry, everytime I seen this thread I assumed it was in cross platform development

When I have sometime I (or someone else) needs to compile a list of what platforms are suported, known to work, and when was the last test on that version.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Besides the officially supported ones, I only know of this and Solaris, and the Solaris test was on a version that's no longer actually being released (OpenSolaris).  I've tried again with minimal success to get a compile to work on an OpenIndiana VM.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, because of this, I am going to try to get FSO to compile for FreeBSD on a virtual machine.  If we can get to where it's at least as easy as a Linux build, I might be able to set up nightlies for it as well, to verify regular compilability.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Tried this myself.  Just set up a VM of GhostBSD LXDE 3.0 RC2, should be recent enough I think.  Got all the dependencies I could find installed that it didn't already have.  Then I got this:

Code: [Select]
windows_stub/stubs.cpp: In function 'void* _vm_malloc(int, char*, int, int)':
windows_stub/stubs.cpp:574: error: 'malloc_usable_size' was not declared in this scope
windows_stub/stubs.cpp: In function 'void* _vm_realloc(void*, int, char*, int, int)':
windows_stub/stubs.cpp:596: error: 'malloc_usable_size' was not declared in this scope
windows_stub/stubs.cpp: In function 'void _vm_free(void*, char*, int)':
windows_stub/stubs.cpp:678: error: 'malloc_usable_size' was not declared in this scope
*** [stubs.o] Error code 1

Wasn't something you ran into was it, nbspjr?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Did you use trunk, or the Diaspora version?  When I added the malloc_usable_size stuff I didn't try to account for FreeBSD (just Linux/OSX) and I don't know if that commit is in the diaspora release (which I presume nbspjr used)

According to this page, we might need to add this to the header on FreeBSD:

#include <stdlib.h>

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I just looked at that same page :) and it also mentions including this:

#include <malloc_np.h>

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
.... what jg18 said  :nervous:

(aka, the guy who can read clearly :D)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah.  I was building trunk, if that's a recent change not in the Diaspora release, then I guess this isn't relevant in this particular forum.  But I'll see about tweaking that windows_stubs file to work on FreeBSD without breaking another platform then.

Offline nbspjr

• FreeBSD user
    • Fogged Blog
Did you use trunk, or the Diaspora version?  When I added the malloc_usable_size stuff I didn't try to account for FreeBSD (just Linux/OSX) and I don't know if that commit is in the diaspora release (which I presume nbspjr used)
Yes, I used the archive from the release related topic. There was no such problem during compilation.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, good to know.  I have managed to get a binary to compile from the latest FSO trunk code, but I did notice this warning repeatedly at one point:

controlconfig/controlsconfigcommon.cpp:191: warning: missing initializer for member 'config_item::type'
controlconfig/controlsconfigcommon.cpp:191: warning: missing initializer for member 'config_item::key_id'
controlconfig/controlsconfigcommon.cpp:191: warning: missing initializer for member 'config_item::joy_id'
controlconfig/controlsconfigcommon.cpp:191: warning: missing initializer for member 'config_item::used'
controlconfig/controlsconfigcommon.cpp:191: warning: missing initializer for member 'config_item::disabled'

Is this something you saw?  If not I might have messed up something with SDL while tweaking the configure.ac.

Offline nbspjr

• FreeBSD user
    • Fogged Blog
Ok, good to know.  I have managed to get a binary to compile from the latest FSO trunk code, but I did notice this warning repeatedly at one point:

Is this something you saw?  If not I might have messed up something with SDL while tweaking the configure.ac.
I've seen some warnings in the console but I don't remember how did it look like. I could build it again tomorrow and show you an output. Would you like me to build the release or a development branch?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The released diaspora codebase is fine, since we know that works for you.  Maybe I can try that one too, just to see.

Edit:  After fixing the newline warnings, here's the build output I got for what looks like a successful build.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:35:48 pm by chief1983 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
And, since this seems to be working for my FreeBSD VM now, I went ahead and made the first FreeBSD nightly.