Author Topic: a skybox idea  (Read 1847 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I've been kicking this around for a bit, and here is my idea.

We take 20 to 50 skybox texture "sides".  Each "side" contains a nebula.  We package this together with a skybox pof.  What does this give us?  A mix and match way of allowing a modder to choose textures for a skybox.  anywhere from 1200 to 3000 combinations are possible (20 to 50 x 6 "sides").  I have a base starfield that I can send out to anyone wanting to help, this way we all work from the same base.

In fact....here is my first donation to the cause.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You do know that this is basically what retail did right?  It maps the images on to a skysphere of sorts.  You just provide the bitmaps.  In this case you would just just set the starfield and then use the nebulas as bitmapx items in stars.tbl and you get infinite combos.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Solatar

If you throw any given six of these together, won't it look kind of "odd" when the six visible nebulae are all opposite one another (i.e.-it will look obviously like 6 things mapped to the faces of a cube)? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?

I'd like to hear a bit more.  This seems like something that might be doable with my somewhat limited graphics design skills - an incentive to create a few nebulae instead of feeling like I need to create an entire set.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Actually solatar, it looked very odd until i decided to offset the nebula from center.  The varying distances between the nebula hid the fact that it was just set up the way you are thinking.

That said...scrap the whole idea.  I'm having a different thought.  More later.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War