Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 237749 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
D'oh, I didn't realize the server wouldn't have updated already :\

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
That's a damn long list of additions and improvements, getting members of the bukkit team involved looks to have been a great idea, anyone tested yet?

Didn't play around with it for long, but running around in rainbow leather armour is somewhat hilarious
"No"

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
D'oh, I didn't realize the server wouldn't have updated already :\

Ya... For the record, we have to wait for Bukkit  to update, then the plugins to update, then wait for bukkit to update to fix the bugs the first bukkit update made, then players can update and still join the server.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There were one or two times in the past when said cycle of updates completed only a month or so before the next version started the whole mess over again. :p

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
There were one or two times in the past when said cycle of updates completed only a month or so before the next version started the whole mess over again. :p
try 2 days. i groaned hard that day.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's right, I thought there might have been one that was ridiculously quick.  If/when they ever get this modding API figured out, maybe those days will be just happy memories.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Didn't Mojang hire some of the Bukkit guys?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yep, most of the original creators, I think.  They're the ones working on the modding API, at least theoretically.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Didn't Mojang hire some of the Bukkit guys?
Yep, most of the original creators, I think.  They're the ones working on the modding API, at least theoretically.
Yes, they hired four of the main bukkit coders.

Of those four, only one is still involved with Bukkit as it was his project to begin with (EvilSeph).  Seph appears to be the one leading the API work.

Dinnerbone is another, and he's actively involved in working on all aspects of Minecraft.

That being said, bukkit is still a separate project, has to be a separate project as it's open source, and still has to do the same procedure each time there is a new release (for legal reasons):  Get the new binary, reverse compile obfuscated source code, make it work, then add in their hooks.

The snapshots was probably one of the first things that they implemented upon being hired.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just so's you know Firespawn, I've crossbred up some Hops on Peci's server, still not got many, but once I get more seeds, we should have a plentiful supply :)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Just so's you know Firespawn, I've crossbred up some Hops on Peci's server, still not got many, but once I get more seeds, we should have a plentiful supply :)

Brilliant! Soon the beer shall be brewed, and (after some more beekeeping) the mead will flow!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So FYI I just completed a ~1.5km cobblestone sky path from my island to the nearest village so I can bring over a couple of villagers. It goes completely over the ocean, so it shouldn't disturb anybody's builds. I'll remove it when I'm done with it.

Of course, after completing the pathway, I calculated I'd need ~8 full stacks of iron to craft enough rails to get there, and then realized that I have a zombie spawner directly beneath my place that will probably spawn zombie villagers once the server updates to 1.4... so... how close are we? I saw bukkit released something 1.4-related...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, I think the rail line to a village on my one SP map is about that long, though I saved on at least some rail costs by raiding some huge underground mineshafts.  I'm still not sure why I thought building a line over ocean to a village half as far away would somehow be more difficult. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Heh, I think the rail line to a village on my one SP map is about that long, though I saved on at least some rail costs by raiding some huge underground mineshafts.  I'm still not sure why I thought building a line over ocean to a village half as far away would somehow be more difficult. :p

As long as you have the materials for the path, it's easier... you don't have to worry about getting mobbed at night, about routing around obstacles, and even if you fall off, you won't die no matter how high you are (and getting back up is somewhat easy if you have ender pearls).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
So FYI I just completed a ~1.5km cobblestone sky path from my island to the nearest village so I can bring over a couple of villagers. It goes completely over the ocean, so it shouldn't disturb anybody's builds. I'll remove it when I'm done with it.

Of course, after completing the pathway, I calculated I'd need ~8 full stacks of iron to craft enough rails to get there, and then realized that I have a zombie spawner directly beneath my place that will probably spawn zombie villagers once the server updates to 1.4... so... how close are we? I saw bukkit released something 1.4-related...

*facepalm* you can jack villagers (and mobs) using RuneCraft, getting spawn eggs in the process.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mods/Runecraft/Meta#Ovicaptor

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*facepalm* you can jack villagers (and mobs) using RuneCraft, getting spawn eggs in the process.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mods/Runecraft/Meta#Ovicaptor

Oh.... oh! :D

Offline watsisname

* watsisname goes into the nether
* watsisname drinks the potion of night vision
whoa, WHAT
WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
OH GOD!
I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH BLOOD
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So Kyad, are you actively waiting for a 1.4.x recommended build before updating the server, or are you AWOL somewhere? :p

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
So Kyad, are you actively waiting for a 1.4.x recommended build before updating the server, or are you AWOL somewhere? :p

Waiting. "It compiles" is not good enough. Plus a few plugins need updating.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Is it worth keeping this running? I barely see anyone online.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife