Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239505 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Is it worth keeping this running? I barely see anyone online.

everyone updated to 1.4.*.

Bukkit has yet to get their ass in gear unless you want to run on a dev build.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:39:04 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
More like the only ones able to work on it is one or two of the team as of late, if the updates from Seph are accurate.

You are all involved in code projects here, one way or another, but phrases like "yet to get their ass in gear" are still used?  Have you learned nothing from the lesson of Ed Gruberman?

It doesn't help any that Mojang released, what, four different point versions rapid fire, the latest of which changed the networking protocol enough that the 1.4.4 client isn't compatible with the earlier servers.

Also, bukkit just released a beta for 1.4.5 (I dunno about the numbering on this one) so 1.4.4 clients can play.

This is nothing new.  This is how it's been since the beta days.  Save your jars and stuff.  Bukkit does this stuff for free.  You really want to have just vanilla servers to play on?  :)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Nothing against Bukkit at all. I just updated, and have been too lazy to downgrade to play. So I wait, patiently.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Nothing against Bukkit at all. I just updated, and have been too lazy to downgrade to play. So I wait, patiently.
This  :yes:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I still haven't updated yet, but I've had a few other games drawing my attention over the past month or so.  The new version certainly doesn't help things, though; not that I need anything from it for my stuff specifically, but it's kind of frustrating to think about there being several dozen new features that we can't take advantage of yet.  Hopefully Mojang finally rolls out this mod API with 1.5, so that we never have to deal with this silly waiting period again.  I have been on a few times over the past few days, though.

And I hope no one minds the temporary staircase I ran up to the Fenris on the new map.  I wound up with like seven stacks of wood after clearing out a tree farm that'd run rampant, so I figured I might as well do something useful with some of it.  Just as a warning, though, the Fenris area doesn't seem to be set to prevent mob spawns yet, so some parts of the ship are rather infested.  Dynmap doesn't seem to want to properly render the whole thing, either.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
For the record, for anyone trying to connect to my tekkit server, DO NOT under any circumstances update to the newer version, as its got horrid showstopper bugs for the time being.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of, we already have some features coming out for 1.5, a lot of which seem to be redstone-related.  (Capacitors!)  The great news is that it will in fact include the API...the not-so-great news is that we're already a full version release behind, and I have no idea how much is going to be involved with adapting the necessary mods to said API.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Speaking of, we already have some features coming out for 1.5, a lot of which seem to be redstone-related.  (Capacitors!)  The great news is that it will in fact include the API...the not-so-great news is that we're already a full version release behind, and I have no idea how much is going to be involved with adapting the necessary mods to said API.

They have said the API will come out for how many releaces now? It'll never happen.

Tell the bukkit boys to make something stable, and we won't be behind.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I know they've said it for a few versions now, but we're actually getting some concrete details this time around, so they have to have at least part of it in a decent state of completion.

That aside, I agree that this particular delay is on Bukkit.  From what I've seen, they seem to have a second beta built out for 1.4.5, which by their own metrics probably doesn't have any serious show-stopping bugs.  At this point, do you think it might be feasible to bite the bullet and go ahead with running a beta?

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I know they've said it for a few versions now, but we're actually getting some concrete details this time around, so they have to have at least part of it in a decent state of completion.

That aside, I agree that this particular delay is on Bukkit.  From what I've seen, they seem to have a second beta built out for 1.4.5, which by their own metrics probably doesn't have any serious show-stopping bugs.  At this point, do you think it might be feasible to bite the bullet and go ahead with running a beta?

At this point, it may be required if we want to have people play at all.

It's up to you guys; want a potentially buggy server that is at least up to date, or wanna keep the 1.3.2 one that we know works?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I know I'd be jumping on quite a bit more if we went ahead and upgraded, even if we had to put up with some temporary derpiness.  Obviously this doesn't apply if the beta build makes the server explode. :p

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I want stable. I'm tired of Minecraft being ridiculously unoptimized. The excessive lag created by unoptimized code is frustration enough. Having it be buggy as well would be unbearable.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
FYI, bukkit is changing 'their focus' toward more beta builds over recommended builds.

Remember, a bukkit RB is just a beta that is supposed to be 'feature complete' from an API standard.

For what it's worth, I've been seeing some very good reports on the r.02 beta and I've not had any problems yet with it on my server either.

The only limitation I know of is they disabled the ability for items to be thrown through a portal until they fix a server-crashing bug.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Curse you Terraria, thanks to you I haven't played Minecraft for weeks.....

I would just upgrade the thing, beta or no beta.
I mean half the people on this server probably used to play beta or alpha minecraft, what's wrong with playing beta or alpha build servers/bukkit or whatever? As long as people don't lose work it doesn't matter, particularly when there is apparently no time frame for the released of the updated server software.

Though not sure I can even access the server. I tried to log on before I updated and could not connect at that time either.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
And I hope no one minds the temporary staircase I ran up to the Fenris on the new map.  I wound up with like seven stacks of wood after clearing out a tree farm that'd run rampant, so I figured I might as well do something useful with some of it.  Just as a warning, though, the Fenris area doesn't seem to be set to prevent mob spawns yet, so some parts of the ship are rather infested.  Dynmap doesn't seem to want to properly render the whole thing, either.

Yeah, about them mobs... I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to make the Fenris a mob-exclusion zone...

EDIT: Nope, still laggy. Gotta wait until later in the night I guess.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:13:13 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Yeah, about them mobs... I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to make the Fenris a mob-exclusion zone...

EDIT: Nope, still laggy. Gotta wait until later in the night I guess.

Done.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Cool, thanks!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Now I will be the railroad tycoon...until someone with more gold than I builds their own rail line.