Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239740 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I wonder if switching the server over to a Feed the Beast server would bring everyone back... I've been getting into FTB lately, and while SSP FTB is fun and all, I'd much rather be playing SMP FTB with y'all.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I wonder if switching the server over to a Feed the Beast server would bring everyone back... I've been getting into FTB lately, and while SSP FTB is fun and all, I'd much rather be playing SMP FTB with y'all.

There are many reasons that wouldn't happen, but for the sake of using the most practical one first, they want their own server JAR and BeastNode does not let you do that nicely.

To go into other reasons, the current policy is to not force anyone to install mods just to play, none of our plugins would work on it (including but not limited to the entire permissions base, keeping the old world at all, and our grief-prevention tools), and the fact it's an unfamiliar API.

Also, this is about as disheartening as it gets: http://support.feed-the-beast.com/?qa=hot

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:04:38 am by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
FYI, the FTB mod pack is a vanilla server pack, not bukkit (one advantage tekkit has over FTB), so permissions and such are non-existent.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
FTB is still heavily in development actually. i'd reccomend tekkit, but considering how full of fail they are...
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly I don't think there's anything wrong with good ol' vanilla as it stands, and I've seen more people getting on since the update.  Minecraft's a cyclical thing: I wasn't on for a month or two because I didn't really have any idea what to do next, and now I've been jumping on every other day to fool around with things.  Plus the holidays are upon us, so a lot of people may be busy doing other things, and/or finishing up final exams (the poor bastards).

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'll definitely be on the server more come winter break. If the server turned FTB however I doubt I'd know what to do with all the special stuff... :p

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
I wish there was a way to find gold faster.  the only thing holding back my rail plans is gold. 

Question: Would it be all right to invite a couple of RL friends to play on this server? And if so, should they make a forum account to say hi?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I wish there was a way to find gold faster.  the only thing holding back my rail plans is gold. 
Gold is fairly rare, but I usually seem to wind up with a decent amount of it just by exploring deeper caves.  If you want to go the mine route, according to the wiki, it spawns from levels 2 to 29, so if you already have a mine at diamond level, you should have a good chance of finding some gold too.  Alternatively, you could go all MORTAL KOMBAT on zombie pigmen and start collecting ingots, though I can't promise that you won't die quite a bit. :p

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Question: Would it be all right to invite a couple of RL friends to play on this server? And if so, should they make a forum account to say hi?

If anyone ****s up big time, any admin can know about it in about 20 seconds of finding it and undo it. If they behave, no problem.

Forum account would be nice as that's the only place I list updates done.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Alternatively, you could go all MORTAL KOMBAT on zombie pigmen and start collecting ingots, though I can't promise that you won't die quite a bit.

If you do this, listen to the song
The song will make you invincible. I guarantee that
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
PORK-al KOMBAT!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Alternatively, you could go all MORTAL KOMBAT on zombie pigmen and start collecting ingots, though I can't promise that you won't die quite a bit.

Control is much better than the main theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRlvrtdS0c

If anyone ****s up big time, any admin can know about it in about 20 seconds of finding it and undo it. If they behave, no problem.

Forum account would be nice as that's the only place I list updates done.
lol, I'll make sure they behave :D

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Control is much better than the main theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRlvrtdS0c

Oh man, totally forgot about that
But this also brought me back to the Killing Spree stick animations
Why don't I have that soundtrack...
"No"

Well once I build the fountain I was going to put in my citadel I can leave you some gold. Where's your house at? I presume if I throw down a block someone else can simply break it. I tried to leave a block of steel at grimp's once but because I put a sign on it, he couldn't claim it til I went over and busted it for him.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I blame Notch for deforming me like this:

MC + snow + sickle = insanity :P couldn't get my hands on a cubic pumpkin, oh well...
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well once I build the fountain I was going to put in my citadel I can leave you some gold. Where's your house at? I presume if I throw down a block someone else can simply break it. I tried to leave a block of steel at grimp's once but because I put a sign on it, he couldn't claim it til I went over and busted it for him.
Yeah, placing down a regular block should be fine.  And you can actually remove the user protection from signs by entering /cremove (I think that's it anyway) and then left-clicking the sign.

Yeah, placing down a regular block should be fine.  And you can actually remove the user protection from signs by entering /cremove (I think that's it anyway) and then left-clicking the sign.

Yeah that does the trick. Which is handy because I put some public chests down in my base as well for the sake of flavour. Not that they have anything in them at present.

Still need a couple blocks of gold for my fountain but after that I can throw whatever comes why to hunternclark if he wants it. Though, probably not until after christmas since I'll be at my parents and the computer there can't run minecraft worth a damn.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Word on the street is that Bukkit finally has an official recommended build out for 1.4.5.  I haven't experienced any real weirdness with the beta build we've been running myself, but I'd assume we'd want to upgrade to that.

And now for some pimpage: I'm sure a lot of people already at least tangentially aware of it, but I've recently signed up on the Minecraft Middle-Earth server.  Basically, these guys are re-creating the entirety of Middle-Earth on a single Minecraft map.  As in, all of it.  Every notable place and building you can think of, and probably a bunch you can't.  I'm working my way through Moria right now, and I've never seen anything pulled off on this scale or level of detail.  (Seriously I think the Fenris could fit comfortably in this one cave.)  If you're even a bit of a Tolkien fan, you need to check it out.