Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239060 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What?
I didn't say anything un-civil.

Seems my very presence is catalyst for chaos.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
What?

Unfair as it may be Trash (and I am in no way blaming or singling you out), there seems to be a lot of people around that can't let go of past controversy.  Those people know who they are, and a lot of other people would greatly appreciate it if they would just get over it and move on.

Always trust the dev page of MC mods and plugins, it's run by the people who make the mod, not people who keep track of it.
Except for when they don't update it, or it was abandoned and the bukkit staff responsible for maintaining that site have not gotten around to marking a project as inactive, etc.

I take any plugin page on bukkit or dev bukkit with a grain of salt.  I've seen way too many times where a project was abandoned by the dev and the project pages were not updated.  sk89q himself went a very long time without updating the dev bukkit page, but his wiki had the current versions of his plugins available.  This is only getting worse with the upcoming Minecraft API and various other political BS surrounding bukkit.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Always trust the dev page of MC mods and plugins, it's run by the people who make the mod, not people who keep track of it.
Except for when they don't update it, or it was abandoned and the bukkit staff responsible for maintaining that site have not gotten around to marking a project as inactive, etc.

If they do not update it, then it isn't updated.
If it was abandoned, it isn't updated.
If it is inactive, is isn't updated.

If there is actually a download for the new MC version, it's updated.

There's no real leeway on this one, it either is updated and is available, or it isn't. It's up to the people who are in charge of the mod to make that difference, not bukkit's people. Sometimes the outdated version works, but that's your own risk.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator

There's no real leeway on this one, it either is updated and is available, or it isn't. It's up to the people who are in charge of the mod to make that difference, not bukkit's people. Sometimes the outdated version works, but that's your own risk.
Partially incorrect.

Both the devs and the bukkit staff have the power to mark a project as inactive.  In more than a few cases, I have seen projects that were abandoned by the dev that were not marked by said dev as inactive on dev bukkit, and it took some time before the bukkit staff marked the project as inactive.  Also in the case I pointed out with worldedit and a backup plugin I use (I don't recall the name right now), the primary site for the plugin is not dev bukkit, but a separate site, and sometimes the two are not in agreement as to what the latest version of a plugin is (and it seems to be getting worse as things progress).

My point was that your comment about always trusting the dev bukkit page isn't correct as there are multiple examples dev bukkit pages that are, or have been, out of date and/or incorrect.  Saying/assuming that someone is 'being lazy' for not looking at them is an invalid assumption for the reasons I stated. 

Things are not that black and white, not with the current state of Minecraft, bukkit and the MC API.
--

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Partially incorrect.

Both the devs and the bukkit staff have the power to mark a project as inactive.  In more than a few cases, I have seen projects that were abandoned by the dev that were not marked by said dev as inactive on dev bukkit, and it took some time before the bukkit staff marked the project as inactive.  Also in the case I pointed out with worldedit and a backup plugin I use (I don't recall the name right now), the primary site for the plugin is not dev bukkit, but a separate site, and sometimes the two are not in agreement as to what the latest version of a plugin is (and it seems to be getting worse as things progress).

My point was that your comment about always trusting the dev bukkit page isn't correct as there are multiple examples dev bukkit pages that are, or have been, out of date and/or incorrect.  Saying/assuming that someone is 'being lazy' for not looking at them is an invalid assumption for the reasons I stated. 

Things are not that black and white, not with the current state of Minecraft, bukkit and the MC API.

And I'm saying it does not matter if the plugin is listed as inactive or not. Either there is an updated version available for download, or there is not. Simple as that.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What?

Unfair as it may be Trash (and I am in no way blaming or singling you out), there seems to be a lot of people around that can't let go of past controversy.  Those people know who they are, and a lot of other people would greatly appreciate it if they would just get over it and move on.

Why do you think I post less and less often on HLP?
I *really* am trying to "stay out of trouble" (regardless of who is causing it).
I'm vacating this thread permanantely, as this appreas to be the only way...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just one question before I go.

I was playing around with the gargamel world qaz left - I trimmed it down from 2GB to 300MB and I was fixing some damages and errors.

Now I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a good website that hosts MC worlds so I can upload it?

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
And I'm saying it does not matter if the plugin is listed as inactive or not. Either there is an updated version available for download, or there is not. Simple as that.
And I'm saying that using the dev bukkit page as The Final Word(tm) on the availability of a plugin for a given version of bukkit and that someone might 'be lazy' for not looking at the page vs asking about it is unfair and unrealistic as the pages have been proven to not be 100% accurate.

But this is off topic for the thread, so I'm going to leave it as we agree to disagree. :)
--

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Just one question before I go.

I was playing around with the gargamel world qaz left - I trimmed it down from 2GB to 300MB and I was fixing some damages and errors.

Now I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a good website that hosts MC worlds so I can upload it?

Given the fact you can zip your file, you can host it anywhere that'll accept the zip folder
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I know. (It is 300MB in .rar and 400 normally)
I was wondering if there was a specailized site that hosts MC worlds specificly.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I was wondering if there was a specailized site that hosts MC worlds specificly.

I haven't encountered any. Most people I know just use the before mentioned method or torrents
"No"

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
And I'm saying that using the dev bukkit page as The Final Word(tm) on the availability of a plugin for a given version of bukkit and that someone might 'be lazy' for not looking at the page vs asking about it is unfair and unrealistic as the pages have been proven to not be 100% accurate.

But this is off topic for the thread, so I'm going to leave it as we agree to disagree. :)

Fair enough.

Dropbox.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

I haven't encountered any. Most people I know just use the before mentioned method or torrents

I found a few sites, but the MC world size is severely restricted.... like 20-30 MB.

Guess it's mediafire/torrent or something...unless I can trim it down more.Oh, gonna make a video tour of the old server and put it on YouTube.. will tell you guys when it's done.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
* VIDEO DELETED*

Video didn't turn out the best...
Oh well, will keep trying.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:32:26 pm by TrashMan »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Remember to hide the interface when making a video like this, and try to keep the mouse movement nice and smooth, like you're actually using a camera.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re-did the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpSu7qIhMPQ

Made it longer and hopefully better.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:35:16 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, now I wish I'd finished something on the original map decent enough to get filmed. :p

If that's the original backup version of gargamel, it probably still has the griefed cliffs/spawn, doesn't that?  I fixed that up as best I could on the server, and I (mostly) finished taking a crack at repairing headdie's old house, which was glomped by a chunk error.  There were one or two other errors in the general spawn/town area, but they didn't seem to actually take out any real constructions, so I didn't bother looking into them more.  It'd be nice to get one consolidated version of everything, especially any continued work you've done on Trashmania.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I tried to make a SHORT video and fit in it as much as I could. I'm sure I missed some great stuff.

Yes, that is the saved world Qaz put for download. I only fixed a few minor errors in it, I'm sure you've done a much better job.
Alas... I don't know if a consolidated version can be done. At least it can't be done by me, since I don't have acess to the server anymore.
I will post here oncve I put the world for downalod, but there's still work I wantot do before I do that.

EDIT:
You cna't belive how much space the exploration wasted. Just be deleting the exlopration paths (aka the tentacles) the world size went down by 80%...from 2.1GB to 400 MB. Andthere's till empty areas I can trim.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Managed to trim the world down to 250MB (177Mb compressed) :)