Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239005 times)

Is donating really a long-term solution though? Of course it helps certainly, but from the past has it been the case that donating has be fairly consistent or do people only donate when asked and then a while later it reverts to the same situation again?

Is donating really a long-term solution though? Of course it helps certainly, but from the past has it been the case that donating has be fairly consistent or do people only donate when asked and then a while later it reverts to the same situation again?

Agreed, a one-time contribution won't cut it. We forget. It happens.

Although, there's an automatic monthly payment/donation option for Paypal. It works pretty well for forgetful people like me. If we can find 3 of us willing to send $5/month, that should cover it perpetually. Or 6 of us at $2.5/month, etc.
(I can chip in up to, say $3-4 monthly, or more on occasion)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
ah, damn, paypal link should be https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=GCF2KQ9EEFFTQ I shall edit the button shortly

EDIT: button edited
honestly, any donation would be welcome, While I don't go on the minecraft server often, it's nice to see that people appreciate that it's still being run and used. I would love to see what people are working on at the moment as I take great pleasure in viewing the builds of others. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:26:04 pm by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The checking account is looking pretty bare right now, but as soon as I get paid in a week or two I'll toss a bit in. :)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Not playing right now, but I'll chip in some when I get the chance. I still have my 1% of a castle on the server. :P

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Server donations button now redirects to a basic html page with donate and subscribe options.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
It won't be going away any time soon.

I don't MC hardly at all anymore (TOO MANY THINGS!!!) but I like that the community here has things that it can be involved in, so when and where I can, I'll help keep it going.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The first time I've done any sort of real work on the server for about a month, and what do I do?  Blow stuff up! :D

Oh and if anyone needs a literal metric ass-ton of dirt for some strange reason, just hit me up.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
The first time I've done any sort of real work on the server for about a month, and what do I do?  Blow stuff up! :D

Oh and if anyone needs a literal metric ass-ton of dirt for some strange reason, just hit me up.

The dev crew should come up with new applications for dirt
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
A quick question. Can I just build anywhere (within reason) in the desert, or is there a specific area being set aside for the town?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
AFAIK there hasn't been a specific assigned area for it yet... I'm kinda of the mind to let the town evolve naturally... proximity to the telepads being the main centralizing agent. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of the telepads, a few of them don't seem to be working properly.  I've needed to hop on a boat from spawn to get to the mob spawner.  We could also probably stand to get some of the newer ones built in a more standard style.

Wheat and seed pick-ups made thicker? Weird.

Also selected items show their names above the bar for a second or two now. Or maybe it's been like this for a long time, don't know . . finally played a couple hours tonight after I got fed up with a few 360 games.

EDIT - And does anyone have consistent problems closing Minecraft? Or is it just me? Every single time I exit a world, and return to the minecraft menu its responsiveness goes to ****. It slows to the point where half the time I just force-close the thing. I just click on "quit game" and it takes 5-8 minutes to close the program. I don't understand it. Version 1.4.7 and it's still doing this garbage.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:54:11 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Also selected items show their names above the bar for a second or two now. Or maybe it's been like this for a long time, don't know . . finally played a couple hours tonight after I got fed up with a few 360 games.

EDIT - And does anyone have consistent problems closing Minecraft? Or is it just me? Every single time I exit a world, and return to the minecraft menu its responsiveness goes to ****. It slows to the point where half the time I just force-close the thing. I just click on "quit game" and it takes 5-8 minutes to close the program. I don't understand it. Version 1.4.7 and it's still doing this garbage.

All items drops have now been extruded into the 3rd dimension somewhat.

As for the issue you're having, I'm not seeing it... have you tried updating/reinstalling Java? Anti-virus running and up-to-date?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I'm able to quit the program as quickly as ever.  The real problem is getting yourself to quit for the day. :p

All items drops have now been extruded into the 3rd dimension somewhat.

As for the issue you're having, I'm not seeing it... have you tried updating/reinstalling Java? Anti-virus running and up-to-date?

I dunno I've always had that issue. Game starts fine, plays fine, ends terrible. My comp is lower end but I don't see or know why it slows down after I quit a world whether its my own or online or whatever. With the way everyone complains abotu the programming I thought everyone had the same problem, evidently not hahah.

Maybe will try the java thing.

EDIT - Though I played a little bit tonight and I didn't have a problem upon exit. I dunno. Whatever. Inconsistent behaviour.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:25:25 am by Akalabeth Angel »

AFAIK there hasn't been a specific assigned area for it yet... I'm kinda of the mind to let the town evolve naturally... proximity to the telepads being the main centralizing agent. :p

Is there supposed to be restrictions on what sort of materials are used? ie sandstone&sand only? Or, just build with whatever? (though, I probably shouldn't build with snow blocks :)

Been working on my base a bit more the last two nights but could always hop over there to build a little tower.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Is there supposed to be restrictions on what sort of materials are used? ie sandstone&sand only? Or, just build with whatever? (though, I probably shouldn't build with snow blocks :)

Meh... I wouldn't say restrictions so much as just the recommendation to make whatever you build fit the location. Typically yes, that'll mean lots of sandstone, but it certainly doesn't have to be exclusive. ;)

I wish you could make sand out of sandstone and vice versa.