Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239203 times)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
uh...I accidentally went to Gargamel...and now I"m stuck.  How do I get back to reality?!

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
uh...I accidentally went to Gargamel...and now I"m stuck.  How do I get back to reality?!

/warp spawn

Walk forward about 20 blocks.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Public service announcement: I'm swimming in Slimes, so I'm willing to trade/give away large numbers of Slimeballs. Willing to accept rare alchemy ingredients (namely Blaze Rods and Ghast Tears), but I will naturally accept valuable materials like Diamond, Gold, and Iron. Also, I'm building up a stockpile of enchanting books- bother me for the specifics I've got (not much right now, but I intend to keep building).
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow...I did a bit of poking around on Gargamel, and there are more old chunk errors in the general spawn area than I was aware of.  It's a bit hard to see in cave mode on dynmap because of all the clutter, but there are several big rectangular chunks of nothingness that you can pick out.  The one is at the bottom of that hugely-tall glass shaft that...hell, I forget who it was...built in that complex right next to spawn.  There's a straight shot to the void in part of it, which is what really surprised me.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Wow...I did a bit of poking around on Gargamel, and there are more old chunk errors in the general spawn area than I was aware of.  It's a bit hard to see in cave mode on dynmap because of all the clutter, but there are several big rectangular chunks of nothingness that you can pick out.  The one is at the bottom of that hugely-tall glass shaft that...hell, I forget who it was...built in that complex right next to spawn.  There's a straight shot to the void in part of it, which is what really surprised me.

:nervous:

You found my megadungeon. I do not speak of the things I do down there.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And I am glad not to hear of them.

Public service announcement: I'm swimming in Slimes, so I'm willing to trade/give away large numbers of Slimeballs. Willing to accept rare alchemy ingredients (namely Blaze Rods and Ghast Tears), but I will naturally accept valuable materials like Diamond, Gold, and Iron. Also, I'm building up a stockpile of enchanting books- bother me for the specifics I've got (not much right now, but I intend to keep building).
I don't need much in the way of slimeballs at the moment, but I can give you all the Blaze Rods you need; I have a covered walkway from my Nether portal straight to a spawner.  Hell, you could stop by and get them yourself if you felt like it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And we have 1.5!  Hold off on the update per usual, or be cool and use Magic Launcher so that you don't have to!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
C-c-c-combo!

Okay, so whatever Jeb and Dinnerbone did to the lighting engine in 1.5 has absolutely slaughtered my framerate, at least in singleplayer.  I mean even on the best days, Minecraft runs like a dog on my system, but I can usually manage around 25-30 FPS, which is at least playable.  But the first time I loaded up 1.5, I was getting a whopping 7-10...yeah, try doing anything constructive that way.  The only way to get back to something sane was to disable smooth lighting entirely; even setting it to "minimal," which should theoretically produce the same lighting results in previous versions, saw the massive hit.  Apparently I'm not alone with the framerate issue, though obviously people who had a lot more to start with won't have nearly as severe of an impact, so your mileage may vary.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I remember the days of using a computer that had to run Minecraft windowed, everything turned to low, and even no mob spawns because that'd be too much for it
Interesting change they did to the menu. Confused me there for a moment only seeing Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Then I realized they just consolidated elsewhere

Updated to 1.5, and I concur with Mongoose here
I go from 60fps constant (vsync) to a variable 25-50 with this smooth lighting. Turning it off makes everything better
"No"

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
IIRC, 1.5.1 is due out soon to fix some bugs with the rendering system, in particular, OS 10.5 and a lack of OpenGL 2.0

I've also seen reports that Optifine helps a lot with this build.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've used Optifine in the past, so I'll have to give it a try again.  Turning off smooth lighting completely may make for a playable experience, but it's also butt-ugly. :p

Things I've already learned from 1.5: mining for Nether Quartz is going to be an extremely trying experience, mostly due to the terrain.  I don't know what sort of space crack Notch was on when he first came up with the Nether's terrain generation, but it makes the sheer act of getting from point A to point B a massive adventure, made even more so by the ever-annoying Ghasts.  The main reason this is an issue is because you've most likely explored at least a decent little chunk of the Nether around your portals on any pre-existing maps, so you're going to have to hoof it in order to generate new chunks.  Fortunately, once you get there, it's not too hard to find Nether Quartz (it apparently generates at a similar rate to iron ore, though it's much easier to see thanks to the Nether's structure), but you'll probably still have to deal with nonsense just to get to it.

So I guess my point here is to kindly request that everyone refrain from generating any new Nether terrain until we're running 1.5, so that we all have a decent shot at finding some Nether Quartz without having to hike a mile.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Things I've already learned from 1.5: mining for Nether Quartz is going to be an extremely trying experience, mostly due to the terrain.  I don't know what sort of space crack Notch was on when he first came up with the Nether's terrain generation, but it makes the sheer act of getting from point A to point B a massive adventure, made even more so by the ever-annoying Ghasts.

Ender Pearls & Fire resistance FTW.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Phew...huge performance increase with smooth lighting on from 1.5 to 1.5.1.  It's playable again!

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Phew...huge performance increase with smooth lighting on from 1.5 to 1.5.1.  It's playable again!

Mmm, now if only Runecraft would update.

Both Spigot and Bukkit have 1.5 builds that work with all of the plugins fine on my test box, but RuneCraft throws errors and is still outdated.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Perhaps we should either remove Runecraft, or switch over to FTB? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
^That. Walk. Or build rails. It's not that hard.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

Pssh. Just live closer
Why do you think I made myself a few hundred from the spawn? So much more convenient!
"No"

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Perhaps we should either remove Runecraft, or switch over to FTB? :p

Neeeeever changing to that buggy piece of crap. Ever.

Besides, even if it wasn't a nightmare for any server admin (just like tekkit and any other "pack"), Qaz and I already agreed to not using any plugins that would require client-side mods. FTB falls in that category and then some.

Pssh. Just live closer
Why do you think I made myself a few hundred from the spawn? So much more convenient!

You have access to /spawn, /home, and Runecraft telepads. Not seeing much reason to need to be close to anything.  :P

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
You have access to /spawn, /home, and Runecraft telepads. Not seeing much reason to need to be close to anything.  :P

I WAS LAZY OKAY
GAWD
GET OFF MY CASE
D:
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd like to see someone "walk" between all of our various setups in a decent amount of time.  Hell, it originally took a 10-minute boat ride for me to get from spawn to my island. :p