Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 238723 times)

Went on and the teleporter works. Checked out most of the sites, some pretty cool stuff.
Maybe I'll create a teleporter to my area once my place is a little more complete (instead of "not at all").
Also need to extend that rail into my area at some point as well.

Spent the last 12 hours mining rock. Smelting rock. And making bricks.
Fun times.

Oh and having a creeper blow up in my face and throw me off a catwalk to my death, with 1/3rd of my stuff getting dunked in lava.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Started a new single-player world. Can't find cows or any alternative sources of leather/books, so I can't make an enchanting table. Made my first mob grinder though, and got my first Infinity bow out of it :D

Apparently 1.6 was already out but couldn't be installed with the old launcher. And there was no news item to tell me I needed to install a new launcher. I only found out because I'm subbed to @notch on Twitter. Not a good system.

When you start up minecraft it will tell you on the title screen that 1.6 is available for manual download.

Suppose a lot of people will love the Horses but, they don't seem that exciting. Not only that, but will people need to discover new map to find these horses? And then ride them all the way back to the spawn?

I'd rather get some more mobs to fight but maybe that's just me. Hopefully they add some next time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:26:53 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
When you start up minecraft it will tell you on the title screen that 1.6 is available for manual download.

Suppose a lot of people will love the Horses but, they don't seem that exciting. Not only that, but will people need to discover new map to find these horses? And then ride them all the way back to the spawn?

I'd rather get some more mobs to fight but maybe that's just me. Hopefully they add some next time.

Best way to check that out is the wiki
I haven't looked at anything Minecraft for a long while, but I'd presume they spawn similarly to any other friendly mobs (unless they're in a new biome which was just introduced)
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think they spawn pretty much anywhere, which means they should eventually pop up in already-generated terrain.

I thought friendly mobs don't spawn anymore?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No, they still spawn, but it's a very rare occurrence when compared to hostile mob spawning.  The wiki page goes over the technical side of things.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm uploading the singleplayer tweaked gargamel map for 1.6.

I trimmed it down so it's about 170MB in .rar.
Will post link once upload finishes.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
And here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ca28p4ydcyjqso3

You're gonna need 1.6 for this. Added a stable with some horses.

And here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ca28p4ydcyjqso3

You're gonna need 1.6 for this. Added a stable with some horses.

Cool.
Though, since my base was in the clipped area and since my new base is much superior I'll probably give it a pass :) Hope you're having fun finishing trashmania

Finally doing some more work on my actual building instead of just digging. Mined and smelted 10 double chests full of bricks but realized that's like 35,000 bricks so, time to start building :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:08:34 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Anyone know one of those Ultra Hardcore Servers than runs 24/7? Like drop in/drop out not tournaments.

I saw Jimplays games and his friend playing on a server that looked pretty cool, http://www.twitch.tv/jimplaysgames/b/415621533 but when I went to what I believe was the server I think it was down. While the idea of fighting other players in Diamond enchanted armour while I just have crap armour isn't very appealing, the idea of needing to hide and always be super careful is pretty cool.

EDIT

Hmmn, found some but they've all updated to 1.6.2

You know, you'd think with the number and frequency of updates that they'd program minecraft in such a way that a newer version could play on a server running an older version. It's cool that they release new content all the time but this server can't be the only one that doesn't run the most up to date version at all times, kinda a pain if you want to check out a few different servers and they're not all using the same version yet.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:38:02 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
You know, you'd think with the number and frequency of updates that they'd program minecraft in such a way that a newer version could play on a server running an older version. It's cool that they release new content all the time but this server can't be the only one that doesn't run the most up to date version at all times, kinda a pain if you want to check out a few different servers and they're not all using the same version yet.
Its called "being a half-wit programmer" and everyone who worked on Minecraft at Mojang suffers from it. How long ago was the modding API promised?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Honestly, it might even be better in a way for the modding API to be held back until a later time so you don't get what's been plaguing HL2 mods for example, getting utterly broken by Valve once every year or two years. On the other side, I doubt there are as many people around that are patient enough to wait much longer for the Modding API...

In regards to my activity on the server, it dropped this week down to near zero because of other activities, daily life, etc, but I have the most basic layout for about 16 new NPC houses completed in my area, dimensions between 9x9 and I think 18x15 or so. Then there are more houses to do in another town so I'm kinda waiting for that OCD-like moment where I have the time and that nagging desire to build, build, build, to be able to finish them all or at least make a big step further. :P

Hope to hear more about what everyone's doing on the server, as well.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Cool.
Though, since my base was in the clipped area and since my new base is much superior I'll probably give it a pass :) Hope you're having fun finishing trashmania

Yeah, sorry about that.
I was really looking into trimming down the huge file and there were a few buildings that were REALLY way out there, easily doubling the file size.
Initally I tried to keep them too. :(

Cool.

Yeah, sorry about that.
I was really looking into trimming down the huge file and there were a few buildings that were REALLY way out there, easily doubling the file size.
Initally I tried to keep them too. :(

No worries. My area on that map was not well planned out and the buildings didn't match anyway.
I'm making a new bigger base now! One that's self contained so aesthetic continuity is assured

Hope to hear more about what everyone's doing on the server, as well.

Just building more walls. Mined crapload of bricks now laying them out. Once I finish that maybe I'll actually start adding stuff to the base instead of it just being a big nothing (right now it's mostly big empty spaces with few details)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:40:33 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Sometimes it's tempting to convert the server to a whitelist system running on a pure Minecraft server with no Bukkit update delays. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Anyone know one of those Ultra Hardcore Servers than runs 24/7? Like drop in/drop out not tournaments.

I saw Jimplays games and his friend playing on a server that looked pretty cool, http://www.twitch.tv/jimplaysgames/b/415621533 but when I went to what I believe was the server I think it was down. While the idea of fighting other players in Diamond enchanted armour while I just have crap armour isn't very appealing, the idea of needing to hide and always be super careful is pretty cool.

EDIT

You'd think that since several of Bukkit's Devs working at mojang on server code and that with snapshots every week showing what changed that Bukkit builds would come faster and more smoothly.

That doesn't happen either.  :doubt:

My solution is to just use MagicLauncher and set profiles for each version.

Sometimes it's tempting to convert the server to a whitelist system running on a pure Minecraft server with no Bukkit update delays. :p

I belive the correct wording would be "Try it, I dare you".

Followed by "Now explain to everyone why the old world is lost to them forever unless they get a broken version from Trashman, why none of their Runes work anymore, why the server lags up a storm when anyone walks into JC's town, Why there is no more DynMap, Why no one can ever be caught for griefing if it happens, why no griefing can be reversed, why the Fenris is no longer protected and spawns mobs everywhere, why no chests are safe, why the Ender dragon doesn't come back, why they can't make a bunch of items anymore, and why they can no longer set or use Homes."
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
You'd think that since several of Bukkit's Devs working at mojang on server code and that with snapshots every week showing what changed that Bukkit builds would come faster and more smoothly.

And that's becasue of the four that were hired by Mojang, only one is still involved with Bukkit.  Dinnerbone and Grum have nothing to do with Bukkit any longer.  Evil Seph does becasue Bukkit was his project to begin with.

It's a common misconception, one that I'm somewhat surprised is still being told as fact, especially considering that they have stated via tweets and other methods that they are not part of Bukkit any longer and do not work on it, Seph excluded.

And even if the same people who are working on Minecraft directly, which would be Grum and Dinnerbone, were still part of Bukkit, what they have access to as part of Mojang could not be used in Bukkit.

Bukkit, as it is open source and Minecraft is not, still has to be decompiled from the obfuscated code of the Minecraft server jar.  This has to be fixed first as we all know that the resulting code from a decompile, especially when obfuscated, rarely works right the first time.  This is mainly what takes all the time, decompiling and getting that mess fixed up and working.  Then there is the major bug finding and fixing.

And this is all in their free time, kind of like what happens here, people working on something in their often minimal spare time.

As for the snapshots, you do realize that a minor change from one snapshot to another means another decompile that can be very different from the previous one, yes?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:24:55 pm by rev_posix »
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

And that's becasue of the four that were hired by Mojang, only one is still involved with Bukkit.  Dinnerbone and Grum have nothing to do with Bukkit any longer.  Evil Seph does becasue Bukkit was his project to begin with.

It's a common misconception, one that I'm somewhat surprised is still being told as fact, especially considering that they have stated via tweets and other methods that they are not part of Bukkit any longer and do not work on it, Seph excluded.

And even if the same people who are working on Minecraft directly, which would be Grum and Dinnerbone, were still part of Bukkit, what they have access to as part of Mojang could not be used in Bukkit.

Bukkit, as it is open source and Minecraft is not, still has to be decompiled from the obfuscated code of the Minecraft server jar.  This has to be fixed first as we all know that the resulting code from a decompile, especially when obfuscated, rarely works right the first time.  This is mainly what takes all the time, decompiling and getting that mess fixed up and working.  Then there is the major bug finding and fixing.

And this is all in their free time, kind of like what happens here, people working on something in their often minimal spare time.

As for the snapshots, you do realize that a minor change from one snapshot to another means another decompile that can be very different from the previous one, yes?

Well, See, I get to call BS now. If it was anywhere near as hard as you say, Minecraft modding would be near impossible.

It's not. It's easy.

So I don't want to hear any "Boo hoo, it takes forever to get this readable"... No. We get Day-1 updates for mods that modify (not add, replace existing) class files. Hell, we get ones that are Day-1 updates on snapshots. There's nothing "Hard" about it.

Oh, and saying "Well they can't use that code"... Duh. That doesn't mean they can't get a heads up about what's changing. They do it on a weekly basis for snapshots anyway (It's called a changelog). Of cource, it could actually be partly used in Bukkit for the same reason all those mods that modify Mojang's Class files are allowed. Or should they all be arrested for using non-open source code? Some of them even make a profit off it.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

I belive the correct wording would be "Try it, I dare you".

Followed by "Now explain to everyone why the old world is lost to them forever unless they get a broken version from Trashman, why none of their Runes work anymore, why the server lags up a storm when anyone walks into JC's town, Why there is no more DynMap, Why no one can ever be caught for griefing if it happens, why no griefing can be reversed, why the Fenris is no longer protected and spawns mobs everywhere, why no chests are safe, why the Ender dragon doesn't come back, why they can't make a bunch of items anymore, and why they can no longer set or use Homes."

Yeah, I know, I know... :p Although whitelisting the server would basically resolve any of the griefing-related reasons... which isn't much. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill