Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 237740 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And done.

/ships will get you to the pad near the Fenris, Apollo and Herc. It should also be visible on Dynmap shortly.

EDIT: And you can now fly inside the Fenris/Herc/Apollo region (and this region only). Don't worry, you won't take fall damage when you leave. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:23:11 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
I don't think the Fenris has much of a chance against fighters that big!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair, it doesn't have much of a chance against fighters, period. :p

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Yup, that should pretty much explain it.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ok, so, we've been running tight on HDD space for a while now. I've made some room, but that room required Gargamel to come offline. Since you can no longer access it on the server, Achtung was nice enough to allow me to host a zipped version of the world file on FSMods.

http://bpmulti.fsmods.net/Kyad/Gargamel/gargamel.7z

Also with the removal of the 4th world, comes the removal of a few plugins. Multiverse and it's add ons were no longer required and have been removed.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Thanks for the download, but still kind of :(.  Is getting more HDD space available something that would be prohibitively expensive, or is it not even an option?

And it's a bit late to mention it now, but TM did post a chopped-down version of the map a month or two ago that got rid of a lot of the extraneous explored areas and saved some space.  It probably wouldn't be enough to have made a difference, though.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks for the download, but still kind of :(.  Is getting more HDD space available something that would be prohibitively expensive, or is it not even an option?

And it's a bit late to mention it now, but TM did post a chopped-down version of the map a month or two ago that got rid of a lot of the extraneous explored areas and saved some space.  It probably wouldn't be enough to have made a difference, though.

As it stands our current hosting both sucks (Give me SSH you BeastNode assholes) and qaz is overpaying. I know several other sites that will do it cheaper (but suck just as bad), one place that if something gets fixed we could have one of the strongest MC servers in the world for free (since I kinda help run it :P ), and I talk to the owner of yet another hosting company that doesn't suck on a daily basis, and I would even get my pick of hardware, location, and OS.

For now however, until Qaz decides what he wants to do (or lack of do) with the server, this is the solution. I can get us a new home in under 24 hours, but it isn't my server to move, only to keep working. So for the forseeable future, the Gargamel world will be offline.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

The difference is between a 2 GB file and a 300 MB one. I'd say that not a small difference.

Also, if Qaz is overpaying, then a move might be a good idea TBH.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Hello all,

I've decided to take Kyad up on his generous offer, the server will now be hosted by overclock.net. As such, the new IP is:

192.69.197.178:25565

The new server is far more powerful, an 8-core machine (I think?) with 2GB of ram dedicated to our sever, the world saved in a ramdisk, backed up to SSD every 5 minutes and daily HDD backups to be sure nothing of value is lost. We should experience better performance with our new host

I will also be stepping down from my administrative role due to lack of free time, I appreciate I haven't been on much for the last 6 months, and Kyad has basically been administrating this server by himself, contributing far more time and effort than anyone could have hoped for. I am extremely grateful for his contributions and thus will be leaving him in charge of the server. 

It's been a long journey for us, starting out in a shoebox underneath a bed running on an intel atom, moving to brohoster and avoiding that failcascade due to a hostile takeover, before switching to some host I can't even remember now, then to a Burstnet VPS (terrible lag) , before hitting our long term home with Beastnode. I'm happy to say it's been a wonderful experience watching this server grow from its infancy, just me, rhx123 and a couple of friends building in the centre of gargamel up to the multi-square kilometer, map, full of the buildings of the 200+ people who have contributed over the past two and a half years. I may pop on once a month just to say hello, but I'm afraid I won't be online much, time commitments limit my ability to play, and minecraft itself doesn't hold the same appeal to me as it used to. It's been a great time playing with all you people and I'd love to see this thread continue to be updated with screenshots of all your beautiful builds and ingenious contraptions. :)

To everyone I've played with and had the pleasure of hosting, thank you.

Happy Crafting,

~qazwsx
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
The new server's hardware, for anyone who wants to know, is an E5-1620, 64GB of DDR3-1600 with a 24GB RAMDisk, Dual Intel 520 SSDs in RAID0 and Dual 1TB HDDs in RAID1. We're running Debian as our OS of choice, and the only 5 things running on it are the OCN MC Creative, Survival and Vanilla servers, the HLP server, and a TeamSpeak.

As Qaz said, all servers are run in the RAMDisk, backed up to the SSD every 5 mins, and backed up the the HDD once a day. The server was copied yesterday around 2PM Central time (7PM GMT), sorry to anyone who did some work between then and now. Also, Gargamel is back online, although the teleporter is still down for getting there. I'll fix that soon. The server also has a Dynmap on port 8123.

And probably the best news... It's free. I talked the other OCN MC admins into allowing me to host the server on our hardware, so no more donations are required. The only price for it is that the MOTD will say "Hosted by Overclock.net". Since Beastnode pretty much forced us to say "Hosted by Breastnode" for the longest time, I doubt that'll have an impact.

Also...
UPDATE:
 - New server hardware.
 - All plugins updated.
 - New backbone plugins used.
 - - Groupmanager is removed in favor of Privileges
 - - Essensials chat is removed in favor of LiveChat
 - - Hawkeye is removed in favor of Prism
------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to see you go qaz.  :(  Maybe you can hop on to play some time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:46:42 am by KyadCK »

Oh wow, massive news! Thanks guys, for all your hard work, and thanks Qaz for everything you've done so far :)

EDIT: Let us know if donations become necessary again, please.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:51:14 am by Scourge of Ages »

Thanks for the hard work everyone

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
And probably the best news... It's free.

As a reminder, could all donators cancel their monthly payments? I'd hate to be taking money off you guys for no reason :(
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Anybody logging in be prepared to quickly /home because it is very likely that your portion of the map will have reset back to the state you originally found it in.  I wasn't quick enough and died due to spawning in solid rock where my workshop should have been.  I swam all the way back to my island and found it back to its original untamed wilderness self.  On the way I'm sure I passed some other islands that should have had constructions on them but didn't.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sounds like a great upgrade.  And thank you so much qaz for all the hard work in keeping this thing up and running for so long. :yes:

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Anybody logging in be prepared to quickly /home because it is very likely that your portion of the map will have reset back to the state you originally found it in.  I wasn't quick enough and died due to spawning in solid rock where my workshop should have been.  I swam all the way back to my island and found it back to its original untamed wilderness self.  On the way I'm sure I passed some other islands that should have had constructions on them but didn't.

I'm re-uploading the world. Should be done in 20-30 mins.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Oh wow, I was wondering why the server was down. :p Awesome news, Kyad - thanks for arranging this! Also, if you want to give me a run-down on some basics on administering the server, lemme know. I'm not requesting though - just offering, mainly since I technically was an admin for the BeastNode (even though I didn't know how to do anything...). :)

Qaz, thanks for putting up with us all over the years - I know we've been PITAs here and there. Hope to see you around soon!

EDIT: Err... whitelisting?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Oh wow, I was wondering why the server was down. :p Awesome news, Kyad - thanks for arranging this! Also, if you want to give me a run-down on some basics on administering the server, lemme know. I'm not requesting though - just offering, mainly since I technically was an admin for the BeastNode (even though I didn't know how to do anything...). :)

Qaz, thanks for putting up with us all over the years - I know we've been PITAs here and there. Hope to see you around soon!

EDIT: Err... whitelisting?

It's back up, and it's fixed.

I'll toss you the admin rank, and add you to the whitelist (explained below), but for fairly obvious reasons I can't give SSH/FTP. Still, I'll teach you basic policies we use if you like such as;

Whitelist is defaulted to ON. This is becase we do not usualy want people trying to join while we're busy fixing things. We turn it off when we're done, like now. :P

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's back up, and it's fixed.

Actually what was down was the old IP which I still had. :p Thanks!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill