Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239090 times)

Yes but so ingame we wont be able to cross this correct? Or is it just cosmetic feature on the dynmap? Not that I have any intention of crossing it. Was just curious. I know when people (including myself) explored outwards on the previous map, the file size ballooned exponentially so that's to be avoided if possible.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It will not let you pass the border.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
It will not let you pass the border.

Gandalf decrees it as so

That should be a modification built into the border plugin
Gandalf appears to disallow passage
"No"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I can't access dynmap anymore :( I tried using the same port on the new IP address but I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? What's the correct IP/port?

I can't access dynmap anymore :( I tried using the same port on the new IP address but I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? What's the correct IP/port?

http://192.69.197.178:8123/

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I hate to say it, but I'd like to see the server get reset with a world border 1 km in radius. That would force us all to build up a town center area. Then every time an update comes out that changes world gen in any way, we expand the border out outward 500m.

But that's probably just me. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Could be done, but I'm not keeping two legacy worlds in play at the same time and I know a few put in quite a bit of effort. It would need a very high vote.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, no more resets. :p

Yeah some of us like hiding on the edge of the map :P
Forcing everyone into a small bit sorta defeats that.

Though, it's been suggested several times to have an area/city which is contributed to by everyone. Though having not done anything to initiate it myself :P Though, don't see why a city of some sort couldn't be built around the warp area (aside from a lack of sandstone). OR maybe near the NPC village?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I vote we turn the spawn into a sprawling metropolis.

Themed servers rock.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
For what it's worth, the origin of my idea was two-fold - one being the upcoming biome change and us only having a narrow strip around the circumference of the world to experience that, and the second being the lack of community feel to the server. Unlike the previous map, where there was a definite town center, this one just seems like a bunch of unconnected individual builds that just happen to be in the same world. It's kinda boring. :p

Much of the blame for the second issue is, of course, the convenience of the Runecraft teleport pads, which allow us to spread out as far as we want without any consequences. Convenient as they are, I kinda want to play without Runecraft if/when the map is next reset.

EDIT: It doesn't help with the first issue, but what would people think if we drastically shrunk the world border down to a kilometer or two around spawn over weekends only?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's not too late for everyone to start building on one location.
A sort of community town would be nice. Something like my TrashMania, only less megalomanic.
Populate it with villagers and such.

Either at spawn or find some new location close by. But finding a good loaction is going to be tricky.

Well, hmmn.

Philosophically I think that minecraft is sort of flawed. Because they keep adding new things and changing stuff I believe it's spawning the cycle where people are encouraged to basically reset constantly. Even if a person has a private server at home, it's difficult to keep going with the same game because it's always evolving, and if you want a server that's steeped in history or whatnot then the continual updates and changes are kind of defeating that point.

Having said that, if there's a reset I wouldn't rage quit or anything. I've put a tremendous amount of work into my fortress, but at the same time, I know it's going to still take about 5x as much work to get it looking the way I intended. So whatever, it's just a bunch of re-arranged voxels :P And if I could download it I would probably be happy. (I wouldn't need or care if it was accessible from the new world either)

Also I would agree that runecraft is prompting a different sort of world than the last server. The biggest impact I think is a complete lack of any sort of nether development from what I understand. I know there's a few portals going there, and a spawn trap or two, but I don't think there's any sort of transportation network set up in there like we had in the last server. (Could be wrong)

And if there was a reset, I would also suggest that we re-enable Creeper damage. I know that might be a colossal pain, and for my part when I was building my fortress it would have caused me many tears, but at the same time if you want a world that say evolves organically, with a town that's a mish-mash of everyone's ideas (I would be in favour of people doing whatever they want in their designated space) then I think the idea of the city being damaged, and repaired, and damaged again helps work towards that organic evolution. And yeah it would suck balls if you log on and see a big hole in your house because someone got jumped but, if you approach it with that in mind then the impact will be less I think.

If nothing else I think that a reset would probably prompt some more activity or at least it did so the last time.

I don't think forcing everyone to use the same aesthetic would be a good idea though, because creating different things is part of the fun. And also seeing how everyone's ideas meld together (or not) would be part of the challenge.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:17:44 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

So a friend pointed this out to me the other day, and it does seem like exactly the right kind of changes that are needed to the terrain gen. I might start playing again when this gets released.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So a friend pointed this out to me the other day, and it does seem like exactly the right kind of changes that are needed to the terrain gen. I might start playing again when this gets released.

That's just the thing - the server map is already 95% generated already, so there wouldn't be any difference unless you go out to the very edges.

I didn't say I'd play on the HLP server!
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I don't think forcing everyone to use the same aesthetic would be a good idea though, because creating different things is part of the fun. And also seeing how everyone's ideas meld together (or not) would be part of the challenge.

Aesthetic? Don't you mean theme?

Themed servers don't enforce a secific aesthetic in general (unless it's a faithfull reconstruction of something) - they enforce a theme.

So on a pirate server you build pirate stuff.
On a medieval/fantasy server you buildmedieval/fantasy stuff
On a space server you build SF stuff, and so on.

There isn't even a need for hte ENTIRE server to be forced to be themed...but a large chunk (or most of it) generally is.
So you could could build your mecha in an ancient egypt themed server, but you'd have to do it far away, so it wouldn't clash.

half the fun of a crowded area in minecraft is the crazy variety of things people build

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking for myself, I actually prefer the way this second map has played out, in terms of Runecraft allowing everyone to be more spread out.  One of the things I know I'd constantly worry about if I was set up close to someone else is whether or not I was infringing on stuff they were planning on doing later, or taking resources that would more rightly belong to them, or so on.  That probably sounds weird to a lot of you, but it's the way my brain is wired.  I'm also kind of a control freak in that I like everything being where I left it, so if people start building too close to where I think I might do something later, I start to get twitchy.  Even on gargamel, where there was no one really super-close to me, I worried a bit about that sort of thing happening.  That's the main reason I went with an island on this map: there are nice natural boundaries, and I know I can do whatever I want on it without stepping on anyone else's toes.  I have nothing at all against working with other people on a group project, because that can be a lot of fun, but I want my own personal area to be a good way from anyone else.

About the new biome system, I certainly appreciate that Jeb and company are still putting a whole ton of effort into updating and expanding the game...but I can't help but feel something like "Enough is enough!" about certain aspects of it.  Like AA said, there's almost this sense that everything you've worked on previously is deprecated by some of these major changes, that you're essentially being forced into a reset.  Case in point: I've essentially been working on a single SP map since when I started playing the game in the 1.8 beta days.  I have something like a 3000x3000 meter area of the world explored (basically a 3x3 grid of the original map item zoom level).  There are already some funky boundaries around the center square of my world, because I'd only explored about one map's worth of it when the initial biome generation change happened, but I can deal with those.  With this new change, though, I've pretty much given up on exploring out any further, since it'll introduce a whole new mess of boundaries, and whatever I create will be thousands of meters away from spawn anyway.  Sure, the new launcher finally makes downloading and maintaining old versions easy in an official sense, so I could just do that, but I can't help but wonder why I'd have to in the first place.  I understood the initial biome change, since the game was still in beta, but now we're (at least nominally) playing the "released" form of Minecraft.  Resetting the entire system yet again feels really drastic.

But yeah, it's no secret that I work at a glacial pace, so the last thing I'd want to see is another full wipe of the map...hell, I never even finished some of the stuff I wanted to try on gargamel.  The thing with me is that I tend to like "living" in a Minecraft world a lot more than building something huge and crazy: I have a lot more fun with exploring, or caving, or farming, or just tinkering around with stuff.  My fortress is the first really big-scale thing I've tried, and I do want to get it to some semblance of finished, but I know it's gonna be a while before that happens.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
About the new biome system, I certainly appreciate that Jeb and company are still putting a whole ton of effort into updating and expanding the game...but I can't help but feel something like "Enough is enough!" about certain aspects of it. 

I understood the initial biome change, since the game was still in beta, but now we're (at least nominally) playing the "released" form of Minecraft.  Resetting the entire system yet again feels really drastic.

The biome changes aren't a reset (or were you referring to resetting our map?). The reasoning behind the changes is A) to fix longstanding issues in terrain generation (eg. the desert/jungle/tundra biomes being right next to each other), and B) to avoid stagnation and keep the game feeling fresh. Otherwise, people can only handle so much open-endedness before it gets to be one unending "Been there, done that" thing.