Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239510 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Speaking for myself, I actually prefer the way this second map has played out, in terms of Runecraft allowing everyone to be more spread out.  One of the things I know I'd constantly worry about if I was set up close to someone else is whether or not I was infringing on stuff they were planning on doing later, or taking resources that would more rightly belong to them, or so on.  That probably sounds weird to a lot of you, but it's the way my brain is wired.  I'm also kind of a control freak in that I like everything being where I left it, so if people start building too close to where I think I might do something later, I start to get twitchy.  Even on gargamel, where there was no one really super-close to me, I worried a bit about that sort of thing happening.  That's the main reason I went with an island on this map: there are nice natural boundaries, and I know I can do whatever I want on it without stepping on anyone else's toes.  I have nothing at all against working with other people on a group project, because that can be a lot of fun, but I want my own personal area to be a good way from anyone else.
I am of this mindset as well, almost to the letter in fact. Multiplayer Minecraft to me is a game that I play mostly on my own while staying in contact with the other players, and occasionally doing stuff with them. In buzzword terminology: "Massively Singleplayer with Drop-In Multiplayer".
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

About the new biome system, I certainly appreciate that Jeb and company are still putting a whole ton of effort into updating and expanding the game...but I can't help but feel something like "Enough is enough!" about certain aspects of it.  Like AA said, there's almost this sense that everything you've worked on previously is deprecated by some of these major changes, that you're essentially being forced into a reset.  Case in point: I've essentially been working on a single SP map since when I started playing the game in the 1.8 beta days.

Right, but the biome generation since 1.8 beta has been downright awful, so changing that seems like a worthwhile compromise. Also, terrain discontinuities aren't that bad. My best build ever was made possible by one.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I, for one, would not be totally opposed to another server reset. The fun is in building stuff, right?

But that will not be a popular opinion, I'm sure, so I propose this:
The map we have is BIG, like really, really big. Most of it is empty.
Can we get everybody to confer, figure out where we've built stuff and decide if we absolutely can't bear to lose it? Then, once we know where everything permanent is, delete whole chunks of the (unused portion of the) map and re-generate them with new biomes.

I haven't exactly done a formal survey, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of settlements and projects are on the western three-fifths of the map and within a radius about half-way to the border.

what if you took all the chunks with constructions in them and packed them together haphazardly around spawn
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
what if you took all the chunks with constructions in them and packed them together haphazardly around spawn
Not sure how that would work for the players like me- I favor almost entirely underground bases.

I, for one, would not be totally opposed to another server reset. The fun is in building stuff, right?

Can we get everybody to confer, figure out where we've built stuff and decide if we absolutely can't bear to lose it? Then, once we know where everything permanent is, delete whole chunks of the (unused portion of the) map and re-generate them with new biomes.
It might be a little soon for a reset, IMO. That said, if existing construction-containing chunks could be shielded from the effects of the map re-gen, I'd be less tepid in my opinion.... assuming such a "shielding" could even be done.

OK upon further discussion on IRC I have devised the best solution:

Generate a new world. Shift it all up by 128 metres. Overwrite it with the (non-air blocks of) the old world.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
OK upon further discussion on IRC I have devised the best solution:

Generate a new world. Shift it all up by 128 metres. Overwrite it with the (non-air blocks of) the old world.

:wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

is that the smiley of awed acceptance

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How'd you guess.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

i knew you'd react in a similar way that i did upon having the idea in the first place

Offline Veers

What happens when you cross Minecraft and FTL? Battlesheep: Fluffier than Light

And I haven't been following any of the HLP Servers/projects in months, what's been happening?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What happens when you cross Minecraft and FTL? Battlesheep: Fluffier than Light

And I haven't been following any of the HLP Servers/projects in months, what's been happening?

That's awesome. :lol:

Have you been around since the map reset? :p

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
For what it's worth, the origin of my idea was two-fold - one being the upcoming biome change and us only having a narrow strip around the circumference of the world to experience that, and the second being the lack of community feel to the server. Unlike the previous map, where there was a definite town center, this one just seems like a bunch of unconnected individual builds that just happen to be in the same world. It's kinda boring. :p

Much of the blame for the second issue is, of course, the convenience of the Runecraft teleport pads, which allow us to spread out as far as we want without any consequences. Convenient as they are, I kinda want to play without Runecraft if/when the map is next reset.

EDIT: It doesn't help with the first issue, but what would people think if we drastically shrunk the world border down to a kilometer or two around spawn over weekends only?

Ya, I'm not configuring WorldBorder every weekend. :P

Next server reset you guys can have whatever you want as long as it:
1: Runs on Bukkit.
2: Requires no Client side mods.
3: Isn't a total peice of crap.

I reserve 3 to be upon my judgment. For example, I will not use LogBlock over Prism becasue Logblock is crap.

I haven't exactly done a formal survey, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of settlements and projects are on the western three-fifths of the map and within a radius about half-way to the border.

Neeeeeeeeeever happening. Nope. No way. No.

The sheer amount of effort involved is nuts since there is no naming structure for the chunks. Besides that, I've seen hacked together worlds. They suck.

*shivers*

No.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Everyone would have to work to fix bad terrain transitions ... but it *could* work.
Still, not a good solution IMHO.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I downloaded the latest snapshot and started up a single-player world to test... wow. They did include the terrain generation changes. The amplified world thing is...

:jaw:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Is that a good "wow" or a bad "wow"?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If that's the thing that Jeb posted a screenshot of on Twitter a few days ago, then very much a good one.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Is that a good "wow" or a bad "wow"?
If that's the thing that Jeb posted a screenshot of on Twitter a few days ago, then very much a good one.
This. :nod:

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
"Meh". This kind of ability has been around for nearly 2 years now. I've been using it personaly for over 8 months.

^ That's from the OCN Creative server, the world was rendred out several months ago.

Mojang multiplied the noise ratio in the terrain generator, it's like 2 mins of work if it were open to everyone.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Mojang multiplied the noise ratio in the terrain generator, it's like 2 mins of work if it were open to everyone.
What I don't get is why there isn't some Dwarf Fortress-esque parametric generation that the player can control. I seriously don't. The only real change is that internal variables could be messed with by the end user. UI limitation?  Doubtful. Engine limitation? Hah. Why are the generation parameters "closed"?

Just don't understand.