Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239181 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Mojang multiplied the noise ratio in the terrain generator, it's like 2 mins of work if it were open to everyone.
What I don't get is why there isn't some Dwarf Fortress-esque parametric generation that the player can control. I seriously don't. The only real change is that internal variables could be messed with by the end user. UI limitation?  Doubtful. Engine limitation? Hah. Why are the generation parameters "closed"?

Just don't understand.

Well, TerrainControl is the exact opposite and gives you access to literally everything with 68 Biome INI configs to bend to your will. It isn't easy to use, though it's simple enough. If I had to guess, I would say "support reasons".
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Kyad, upon visiting the town we were working on I noticed that the scripts used are broken turning the town into an empty place. Structurally everything is still sound but no NPCs nor spawn protection. Hope you'll be able to look into it.

In regards to my own areas, the NPC count has dwindled several times, I think there's a perpetrator who struck at least twice - first time I still had considerable villagers left, second time I'm down to single digits and I haven't gotten them to reproduce so far. Might need a few spawn eggs for them (also to much easier spread them around). I also might have to look into finding ways to reduce the chance of this occuring. Certainly there were a lot, if not too many villagers but the zombies don't discriminate between valuable deal villagers and those who only offer bad ones. :P

EDIT2: Iron Golems weren't killed as I thought, wonder where they were when I checked earlier.. Well, at least there wasn't any real structural damage. :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:00:06 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
IIRC, Kyad removed the scripts on purpose and there will be no NPCs in town anymore.

Regarding your villagers - it could be a zombie attack. Last time I was in your village there was a massive one.
that or a griefier. Lord knows I killed 2-3 of your (bad deal) villagers, but I stuck around till replacements were born.
Also, I stole 4 villagers from you to make my own village, but that shouldn't affect yours, since my village is capped and is small, and yours was full long after my village was done.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Server derped out on me last night and hasn't come back... Kyad?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Server derped out on me last night and hasn't come back... Kyad?
I've been unable to connect since at least yesterday as well. Guess something *is* going on. Seconding the request for support.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Server restarted, seems to work fine.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Thanks - feel like letting me know how to do that myself?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Can't get on the server = Can't restart without SSH.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Indeed... I used to have SSH... :p

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Ok quick question about hoppers- I noticed they're not really working to funnel items to attached chests or dispensers. I'd assume that I'd need to not make the chest/dispenser private, but I don't know the command to do so. Any insight?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, I had to figure that out the hard way myself. /unlock is what you're looking for. ;)

Does anyone know of any witch huts on the server?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Actually, I used to have it on Qaz's old machine - forgot we moved to the super-computer. :p However, now's another time when having server restart access would be handy... (server's down again).

EDIT: It went up again, but went back down a few mins later. :-/ Any clue in the log files what's happening?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:32:36 am by Sandwich »

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Actually, I used to have it on Qaz's old machine - forgot we moved to the super-computer. :p However, now's another time when having server restart access would be handy... (server's down again).

EDIT: It went up again, but went back down a few mins later. :-/ Any clue in the log files what's happening?

The oh so very smart people at the hosting place thought it would be a really nice gesture to use some good enterprise backup software made for linux to back up our stuff.

Never mind the fact that our own backup scripts (tarball/kick off to the HDD) run at midnight PST every single day in addition to our 5-min backups to the SSD without bothering anything, their program halts EVERYTHING on the server for 10-20 minutes to back it all up. This includes, among other things, the servers.

The servers don't actually go down, they're held in stasis until the program is done. The program runs at more or less 4:20AM PST every day, and has thus been dubbed the "Stoner program" since obviously someone had to be high to install such a thing without asking us. (plus, you know, the numbers)

Think CloudFlare levels of stupid.

Doesn't hurt anything, and it does flush out SWAP/Cache for us, but it's annoying as hell, especially for people who don't live in North America.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Server updated to 1.6.4.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Server updated to 1.6.4.

FYI, Runecraft teleport pads don't seem to work... no error either. It's like the mod isn't installed at all.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Does anyone know of any witch huts on the server?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can't remember seeing any myself.  Hell, I explored a good 2000x2000 area on singleplayer on my one map without finding a single one.

If we were to find one, should we evict the witch?

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Burn her!

(rackum frackum embed derp)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If we were to find one, should we evict the witch?

Feel free to evict her and light up the hut, but whatever you do, DON'T MODIFY THE HUT. I'd like to build a witch farm, and to do that I'll need to know what the original hut's position and dimensions are.