Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239419 times)

Yeah, so I think the teleporters are busted again because I tried to get to the enchanting table (among other places) and it wouldn't work.

I need to bite the bullet and just build a library for higher-level enchanting instead of rummaging through people's bases looking for one. :P Only one I ever really found was Grimper's and it didn't go to level 30 and his base is hidden up some hill in a jungle. Not particularly easy to get too.

Not too many people on these days it seems but I've been busy messing about the last week or so.
I'm still intermittently active. Runecraft's been out of commission for quite a while- it's tied to Bukkit updates, and I think they're behind schedule. I'd offer to let you use my enchanting altar, but my base is fairly well-hidden. That said, if we wind up being on at the same time, I'd gladly show you around.

Yeah I saw you pop on and off the other day. But at the time I didn't have 30 levels and a diamond pick axe to enchant.
In any event it's not critical, just more along the lines that I have levels, so must spend them :)

But yeah next time I'm on I think I'll just wait for sugar cane to grow and build some bookcases. :P

So in order to get top level enchantments I need to take out 45 cows or so? (depending on drops) Blimey.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:46:09 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

So in order to get top level enchantments I need to take out 45 cows or so? (depending on drops) Blimey.

I built an underground ranch and populated it for precisely this reason. I just need to get on to actually build stuff.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have an enchanting table...somewhere in my still-incomplete fortress.  I've been a huge Terraria kick recently, among a few other games, so Minecraft's been on the back burner, but I'll get there.

Okay. Yeah I'll probably just haul it over to Grimpers and get a level 18 enchantment or so. Better than nothing.

Anyone know who's got a little base in the desert at 3014, 65, 252 ?

I'm trying to build some rail. Originally I was going to hook up with the rail that someone already built but instead I thought I'd build it a bit northward so it hits the teleporter town. But because my rail is going to be elevated with towers and supports and such I don't want it too near to anyone's base in case it spoils their view. If I cut it spawnward along the 140 line I'll avoid pretty much everything except for that one little place. Of course avoiding everyone's place kinda defeats the purpose of rail but I figure if people want they can link up with the towers in a manner of their choosing.

As well as going to my base, the rail is going to go to the NW base stopping near -4108, 65, -732. Don't know if that person has been on for a while.

Right now I'm just throwing down the platforms and building the towers.  It'll take me a million years to finish but thought I'd mention it now in case I run over someone's base and aggravate them.
You can see I've already thrown down one tower at -4583, 65, 670 and built eastwards from there. I'll probably build the platforms the towers then do the rail and finally add all the details (lights and supports) later.

EDIT - Oh it's Venicius that built the rail line. If I get to building the actual rail in the area where his track is laid down I might redirect it to link up with one of the towers I'll build or it may eventually extend to his north/south track and can be linked there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:54:21 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Go for it, I've run out of my rail building motivation and supplies.

Go for it, I've run out of my rail building motivation and supplies.

Yeah, I don't have the supplies right now either, specifically gold. Will need to do some mining. I did a crapload of mining yesterday but only found like three measly blocks  :mad:
I wish there was an enchantment that increased the drops you got from iron and gold ore blocks.

Incidentally, enchantments are like . . . pretty broken.

Here are two enchantments I got yesterday on some diamond tools:
1. Efficiency II

2. Efficiency I + Unbreaking I

Guess how much each one of them cost?
I would say that #2 was the better deal. It ended up costing me 2 levels. The first enchantment cost me 18 levels. Why is that really possible? There should be minimum values for different levels.
Heck at 8 levels of investment I've gotten Efficiency II, Unbreaking II. I think that was maybe bit of a fluke but it's happened more than once and is much better than the 18 levels I spent.

Second time around I spent 30 levels and got Efficiency IV, Unbreaking III and Fortune III so at least I didn't get burned twice. :P

Anyway I don't know how long I'll have the motivation to build rail either. Usually I play a lot of minecraft for a while and then drop it for 6 months. I'll try to at least put a tower near the end of your rail, more or less.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:26:49 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I heard (source: Etho) that putting anywhere between 1 and 8 levels into an item in an enchanting table is all the same... that you don't start getting higher-level enchants until you go above 8. Useful if true.

I heard (source: Etho) that putting anywhere between 1 and 8 levels into an item in an enchanting table is all the same... that you don't start getting higher-level enchants until you go above 8. Useful if true.

I dunno, like I say I spent 18 levels on a Diamond Pick Axe and all I got was Efficiency II. So . . . . something's wrong there quite frankly.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Ahem: http://pernsteiner.org/minecraft/enchant/

Really helpful tool, especially the "How do I get Enchantment X?" and "What enchantments can I get for X levels?" tables/calculators. It even has an algorithm to optimize level expenditure vs chance at a desired enchantment.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Ahem: http://pernsteiner.org/minecraft/enchant/

Really helpful tool, especially the "How do I get Enchantment X?" and "What enchantments can I get for X levels?" tables/calculators. It even has an algorithm to optimize level expenditure vs chance at a desired enchantment.

Cool yeah that helps. The wiki page for enchantments is by comparison pretty useless.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ooh, that's getting bookmarked.

Looks like server's down. Tested with 1.6.4, 1.7.2, 1.7.4.

Hope it gets fixed or fixed itself somehow asap. Been building and modifying more and more these past week(s) after something of a hiatus.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Yeah, so I think the teleporters are busted again because I tried to get to the enchanting table (among other places) and it wouldn't work.

I need to bite the bullet and just build a library for higher-level enchanting instead of rummaging through people's bases looking for one. :P Only one I ever really found was Grimper's and it didn't go to level 30 and his base is hidden up some hill in a jungle. Not particularly easy to get too.

Not too many people on these days it seems but I've been busy messing about the last week or so.

Hrm from the looks of it, you guys need an xp farm. I will try stop by soon and get a blaze xp farm up and running like I had on the old map, tho I will need some help with supplies. My enchanting room should definitely go up to 30, the room is designed for it....unless I never managed to gather enough shelves and used wood blocks as placeholders.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:18:04 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Holy crap, itsa Grimper.   :eek:

I think someone had a Blaze farm going, but I don't know who, and I'm not sure it was set up as a super-auto Blaze farm like yours.  I haven't even touched Minecraft in a few months, which is making me feel all guilty now.  The blocks, they cry out to me.

Yeah the last few times I've used the table it worked, just not the other time. Though it does something stupid annoying like if I'm only level 18 it still gives me a level 30 enchantment.

I don't know why like Jeb or whoever can't program a thing where the enchantments available are equal to like, the player's current XP limited by the bookshelves. So if you've got level 18 give only up to level 18 not to level 30.

I know you can throw torches down but that's dumb :)

Also I dunno what the deal is with the nether, but at first I built a portal and it worked hunky dory and went to the same portal each time. But now lately it goes to another portal. Then when I go through that portal it goes to a fourth portal in the overworld. I know you need to like, match the co-ordinates up exactly if you want it to go to the same one every time but it's kinda annoying.

Server's back up, however when trying to join I get "You are not white-listed on this server!". Hope that can also be rectified in due time.

EDIT: It now works. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:10:07 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Anyone know who's got a little base in the desert at 3014, 65, 252 ?

Negative 3014? Positive is in the ocean, so... ;) That's me, when I was thinking about building a pyramid. Hah! Little did I realize how much materials it would take. If anyone has extra sandstone they don't need... feel free to add rows to the pyramid. :p

Hrm from the looks of it, you guys need an xp farm. I will try stop by soon and get a blaze xp farm up and running like I had on the old map, tho I will need some help with supplies.

The Ender Ender works just great, although with the teleporters down, it's risky going into the End since the dragon keeps respawning. Honestly I'd rather just see it gone for good... don't think anyone is fighting it anymore, and if we want a boss fight, there's Withers. Whatcha say, Kyad? Time to stop the dragon from repeatedly respawning?

EDIT: Once the server gets upgraded to 1.7.x, I plan on utilizing the new flexible sizing of Nether portals to build a public gold farm in the server's spawn chunks. That should mean it will run whenever a player is anywhere in the overworld, which should result in good amounts over time.

EDIT 2: I just outlined the 12x12 spawn chunks for our map. There's a glass border running around the perimeter, with a single bedrock block in each of the corners, at an altitude of y=100. I suggest any fully-automated farms in that area be geared to handle overflow. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:41:19 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

The server appears to have some issues, or rather, I've been getting constant timeouts very shortly after connecting despite a proper internet connection and it having worked rather well yesterday. Though I do spawn in my own area that appears to be besieged from deep underground by literally dozens of zombies that I haven't been able to take care of yet as they have some sort of mission to siege and kill all my villagers but are more and more unable to get onto the surface. Due to this they stack together underground, sometimes among a bunch of chickens which gives a slightly worrisome identification to when they do somehow manage to get on the surface. attacking with eggs in their hands.

Just now the server also went 'End of Stream' and cannot be connected to. Hope this will be resolved soon.

-----------------

- George Orwell

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Zombies holding eggs (or anything, really) = bad... they don't despawn if they're holding something. Best kill them before they spread out.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Thanks for the advice, Sandwich. I wasn't aware of that. I'll continue my efforts in manually constructing Iron Golems (and where possible try to push the other existing ones into that role) and sending them down to clean house.

Dwelling on that fact, that means these zombies have been sitting in the server RAM for at least a week now (despite several minor and major expeditions i've done to either fight them, to explore or mine in the Nether),  just waiting for me/someone to log in and to then pop up from underground to kill 'em. Reminds me of that story about the Unreal Tournament bots who were kept running on a server and eventually just stopped killing the opposing team, which more likely had to do with their 'profiles' maxed out at 256 MB than that they realized that peace was the way to go.. :P

(Quick edit note, a few typo fixes).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:41:22 pm by JCDNWarrior »

-----------------

- George Orwell