Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239700 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Somehow my account on playmindcrack.com got banned, reason "Badfellowship" :( I just spent the past 1h20 writing an appeal letter.

My best guess is someone complained about me raging too much in the chat, but if that's it then they should've complained to me first :(

Edit: this thread isn't strictly limited to discussion of qazwsx's server, right?

Go for it, it doesn't get a lot of traffic anyway.

Also, that sucks. Speaking from experience though, unless the person in question was someone the mods know or or unless the mod is a total dick, it usualy takes more than one report. They're also probably going to want to hear a lot of "I'm sorry, I'll tone it down" and very little "I didn't do it, what the hell". Big MC servers see a crapload of new people every day, and it's simply far easier to leave problematic players behind and hope new ones are better.

Honestly though I'm having problems understanding why there would not have been a warning from a mod or at minimum a temp-ban before hand, as everyone can have a bad day. Rules are rules, but punishments also need to fit the "crime". I would probably ask what it was for, as the only things I have ever instantly banned for were griefing and hacking. Anything and everything chat related gets at least one warning.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
This is technically a repost of something I said on my Facebook, but...

Surprised to find myself unbanned from playmindcrack.com :D

Apparently it wasn't a generic "raged too hard", it was a specific "said 'fag', 'nigger', or '****', or some variation thereof". The ONE TIME I said "do it faggot" (implied: insert silly imagememe with that crazy 90s breakfast cereal mascot)... someone reported me. Interesting to note, their rules page doesn't explicitly say any of that, it just says not to be generally "toxic" and to "keep your rage off our servers", but this is clearly a cookie-cutter reply about a specific kind of violation.

Ah well, at least I'm unbanned. But no more freebies. Apparently it's only been 11 days? It felt like longer.

Just say "do it ****lord" next time instead :P

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Buttlord?

As in...THE Buttlord?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

The server's really slow for me again despite having worked rather well the past week(s). Certainly it also has to do with the distance between me and the server but my connection is of such a speed that it doesn't seem likely it's an issue on my end. Perhaps the server needs a quick restart or such?

Currently when trying to play and build the blocks disappear again or reappear block by block, sometimes furnaces, chests, workbenches don't activate at all or take a rather long time. Occasionaly I am teleported a few blocks backwards, in particular if I work too close to the blocks I am placing or removing.

Hope it can be resolved somehow server sided.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Can someone tell me the commands to disable/enable protection of placed items?

I hit "/help" but it doesn't seem to be listed. Sorry I'm such a noob.

Buttlord?

As in...THE Buttlord?

Nah, like pooplord but more crass. It's just something they say on the Yogscast videos sometimes. I must be the only one around who watches 'em.

The server's really slow for me again despite having worked rather well the past week(s). Certainly it also has to do with the distance between me and the server but my connection is of such a speed that it doesn't seem likely it's an issue on my end. Perhaps the server needs a quick restart or such?

Currently when trying to play and build the blocks disappear again or reappear block by block, sometimes furnaces, chests, workbenches don't activate at all or take a rather long time. Occasionaly I am teleported a few blocks backwards, in particular if I work too close to the blocks I am placing or removing.

Yeah it's slow for me too off and on and I'm located in Vancouver, BC. (west coast canada) so . . . not sure where it's located.
Overall it's a bit slow but at times it gets to the point that you're describing though I think this happened to me on the old server too. Yesterday though the server was showing me three bars. I was on for a few hours yesterday and it was reasonable except for a few times when it did that.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:01:45 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
@akalabeth: Hmm...a different Buttlord then.

I did play on the server a bit just to see if anything changed, but didn't notice any substantial slowdowns. I was on for only 15-20 minutes tough.

Hair boner. Hahah

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Well, back on the minecraft server topic, I have a little annoyance and perhaps interesting short experience I want to share.

I was building a little just now, braving through the somewhat laggy placement of blocks but it seemed a little better than yesterday, when I started to take hits from no discernible source and continue to take hits long after taking refuge in a impromtu built stone defense around me with 3x3 breathing space.
Noticing I still received damage I decided to relog while having a nearly full inventory, so I decided to relog.
Upon relog I am proclaimed dead, and strangely, all my items have vanished at the place of death, with the only sign of death visible in experience orbs lying around (which tend to disappear quicker than the items themselves I believe, and even then, I returned to the place of death within one minute).
Seems I lost the whole inventory including a few nice enchanted diamond items, oh well.

I'll have to travel lighter, I suppose.

Still, I think it is interesting to play in this half-online, half-desynced Schrodinger's version of the Minecraft Server (and we know how addicting the game is, waiting a lot of days for someone to look into this lag issue on the server can make one too impatient :P), I manage to get some construction done despite it occasionally completely or partially reverting back to what it was before. I again reiterate that I hope that whatever the cause is, it can be fixed soon. In the meantime I'll just try to put up with it.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

So what you placed blocks and then went into the blocks and suffocated or something?

Btw is it a minecraft thing that when you type a message and no one is on that it says "No one heard you?"

Because sometimes I like to swear at an empty world and it doesn't let me for some reason. (like after dying in the Nether for the second time)

I thought about that, however upon relogging and being dead, I was outside of the whole wall section I was building and expanding so it seems the game decided I was stuck on one spot and some enemy, likely a skeleton by the frequency of hits picked me off while on my screen I was busy trying to heal up and get in cover.

-----------------

- George Orwell

****ty deal.

Yeah when I'm fighting mobs I start swinging when they're 12 feet away, just in case I'm lagging :) Lagging vs Creepers in particular sucks pretty hard.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was building a little just now, braving through the somewhat laggy placement of blocks but it seemed a little better than yesterday, when I started to take hits from no discernible source and continue to take hits long after taking refuge in a impromtu built stone defense around me with 3x3 breathing space.

You started dying out of nowhere? With no discernalbe source?

there is only one explanation.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Starved to death?

According to my food meter I was fed, though it might be possible it didn't register me eating food so it could in fact be a possible explanation, however that would mean the server would have to be on Hard mode, which I am not 100% sure of. It certainly makes for a bit of a interesting situation.

Despite this I've been able to do a lot more construction in the long term, sometimes focussing on one part of the town, another day more on another part, so at the moment there's still a placeholder feel to some parts while others look a lot more complete and settled, something I'm getting to in time, especially the more I take the time to experiment with interior design of smaller housing. It's definitely interesting to do. The desire to expand is certainly there but I'm trying to limit myself and build around the existing naturally generated terrain.

I am curious if others have been building anything in particular lately as well, as it's always nice to read about that as well. Certainly lessens the occasional feel of isolation ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:26:19 pm by JCDNWarrior »

-----------------

- George Orwell

I've been working a bit on my stronghold and building the rail line but powered rail is kinda expensive so it's slow going. I'm going to just connect the rail line to the existing rail that the other guy built rather than take it to the spawn.

Also for some reason my stupid nether portal spawned a second portal in the nether and anyway while collecting some glowstone I managed to get myself killed twice, losing two silk touch picks :P first time I fell in the lava second time I deflected a ghast fireball into a baby pigman zombie and got swarmed. I really need to bring a bow an arrow :P Or make some armour but I can't be arsed.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Whenever I was last really active on the server, I noticed nether portals acting really derpy myself; I flat-out wasn't able to get one to connect back to the original portal location I'd created, even after attempting to rebuild it a few times.  I don't remember hearing about that bug in Vanilla, so maybe it's from Bukkit or some plugin we're using.

Yeah I thought you need to rebuild it in the exact same place to like be guaranteed to go there.

I don't get why the same portal in the overworld would spawn two different nether portals. Then the portal in the nether came back to yet another new portal which is not terrible far from my original.

Actually it's also odd because when I went through the portal in my base, there were like 3-4 Skeletons around the portal which immediately tried to gank me. Which would make sense if the portal was already there and overworlders were filtering in but if the portal just got created why would they be there? Or maybe some dude visited my base and hit the nether to get home. Dunno.

If people are building stuff, howabout another round of pictures? My crap's all unfinished but when I get some components more done I'll post some myself :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:38:47 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Well, you wanted pictures..

So first there was this zombie infestation in the lower reaches of the chunk that forms the center of my town. It looked like this:

http://imgur.com/a/1ilA3

Once I had completely destroyed the entire infestation, now, it appears, something else  has occurred practically overnight:

http://imgur.com/WYITUPB

The dirt 'walls' were leftovers from funnelling some iron golems away from a spot they kept trying to clump together at. It seems somehow a few villagers managed to turn it into their own created villager breeding zone.
This is the third occurrance since the server began, if I can't keep these populations in order I'm going to leave none of them alive. Note that I have brought some lava, by the way. It shall now, at the time of writing, be used for its intended purpose.

Seriously though, what's up with this chunk in particular, I've never seen things like this. First it took me more than a month to get the surviving 3 or 4 villagers back to about 10, and now this happens 0_0.

EDIT: The strange thing too is the method they seem to get clumped together, its exactly the same as the zombies before them, though they were in narrow mineshafts and small holes underground.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:12:56 pm by JCDNWarrior »

-----------------

- George Orwell