Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239042 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair, you're the one who doesn't really need it, since you have the rail line there.  I just rode it out to your area before calling it a night; it's an amazing undertaking, and now I wish I'd offered to help with the actual construction part way sooner.

To be fair, you're the one who doesn't really need it, since you have the rail line there.  I just rode it out to your area before calling it a night; it's an amazing undertaking, and now I wish I'd offered to help with the actual construction part way sooner.

Well. Initially my rail was a bit superfluous since Venicius had built a rail which from spawn to the edge of my large wintery area. I was sorta doing what had already been done, though my rail line serves a more northern corridor so the two can still co-exist.

But yeah, lot of hours. I probably could have finished half my base by now hahah. Oh well. Rail and roads and such connecting everyone can help bring the server together and also give it a sense of scale and scope that a teleport network never would. In my opinion anyhow. Sometimes it's fun to just kick back and watch the world scroll by.

Trashman gave me a bunch of iron last night which helped a bunch. So working now to extend the rail to Sandwhich's island.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Bryson decided to use his warp for the benefit of everyone.

Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MC name
Warp name
Marker
Block in GUI
cords
a short discription

TrashMans Empire
Skywalk Castle
Tower
Mossy cobblestone
-790X, 103Y, 165Z
WIP mini-town with castle
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
MC name
Warp name
Marker
Block in GUI
cords
a short discription

TrashMans Empire
Skywalk Castle
Tower
Mossy cobblestone
-790X, 103Y, 165Z
WIP mini-town with castle

Done. Cost 1 token.

Your MC name is THE_TrashMan by the way.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
"IGN" might've been more clear then

Finished the railroad in the sense that it's functional from end-to-end.

But still need to finish lighting it, adding the covering, finishing the towers, etcetera.

After that's done I'll be making the extension to the north-western base.

Thanks to all who donated or traded for materials.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
When did the Nether get its own songs? How long has that been in the game without me knowing?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think only since 1.6 or 1.7; they might have originally come from the XBox 360 version, as I remember hearing them there when my brother was playing a while back.

As someone who doesn't play with a lot of mods, is it even worth it?

Watching some yogscast videos where they're playing their complete mod pack. Some guys were playing Ars Magicka, played about 39 vids about 15 minutes each so like 10+ hours of play and then suddenly the mod got a bunch of major changes and a lot of their work went out the window.

Vanilla minecraft at least seems to keep most things backwards compatible though I know there have been major changes with pistons or somesuch.

I never cared for gameplay mods at all either, mostly because modders, as a rule, never know when to stop. They're never satisfied with just adding a self-contained mechanic that slots neatly into the existing game; they need to overwrite every last system with increasingly redundant complexity. In Minecraft this usually manifests in a ton of really artificial tech trees leading to all sorts of stupidly overpowered endgames.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The only one I really like is the better dungeons and more Biomes, at least in concept. I honestly never really delved into the dungeons much myself.

Minecraft frankly needs some better dungeons. Those one room spawners are pretty ****. Would like to see something like the underground railroads but more dungeon-like/focused. Perhaps with access point above ground. I dunno how expansive that water dungeon is going to be.

There's kinda not enough being added for adventuring. It's mostly build-focused.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
As someone who doesn't play with a lot of mods, is it even worth it?

Watching some yogscast videos where they're playing their complete mod pack. Some guys were playing Ars Magicka, played about 39 vids about 15 minutes each so like 10+ hours of play and then suddenly the mod got a bunch of major changes and a lot of their work went out the window.

Vanilla minecraft at least seems to keep most things backwards compatible though I know there have been major changes with pistons or somesuch.

If I use any mods, they're functional ones not content ones. World generators (Subterrania and Giant Caves, good combo), minimaps, macro/keybind, Optifine, WE CUI, etc. Even a heavily modified MCMMO. Things that add output or control, but never anything that would stop me from being able to play in that world should the mod creator just leave some day.

I just don't like "Content Mods" because their lifespan is usualy short (Tekkit is -still- on 1.6.4 for example), and so forward compatability suffers and then I get sad because I wanted the new thing.

Yeah I mean I've been watching Hole Diggers, a yogcast series, and recently they went to some place called the "Deep Dark" and set up a "Tesseract" to mine an area, and just setting up that thing they got like 10K coal, 3000+ iron, etcetera. Like. Overpowered items much?

The series can be interesting, but invariably with these mods there's one completely cheater block that invalidates the idea of playing survival in the first place.  The other item I remember was some, energy converter or something where they drop one diamond in and get hundreds or thousands of cobble or other material in a second. Or drop some "uranium" and get tonnes of diamonds.

Might as well just play creative.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Holy crap, take a look at this.  The amazing part is that those shadows are just from the texturepack, so it doesn't even need shaders.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Very cool! I quite liked Mirror's Edge, and this does an excellent job in evoking that look.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Holy crap, take a look at this.
Holy crap.

The amazing part is that those shadows are just from the texturepack
... :wtf:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Holy crap, take a look at this.
Holy crap.

The amazing part is that those shadows are just from the texturepack
... :wtf:

Static shadows. Due to the world of Mirror's Edge having no or nearly no color thay can repurpose blocks to be "shadow" blocks in different patterns. It isn't real shadows, and they are not dynamic.

Cool none the less, but extremely misleading to say "shadows without shaders".

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I probably should have explained that a bit more clearly.  I was honestly just impressed by how nice of an effect they were able to pull off with it.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Something tells me CTM doesn't stand for "Complete The Monument" here...

Connected Textures Mod. I'm smart.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:39:45 am by Aardwolf »