Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239470 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of, I hadn't popped on for weeks until I did earlier today, when I discovered that the two villagers I'd converted from zombies and trapped in a hut had randomly gone missing.  I'd suspect griefing, but nothing else was touched, including the pen of horses right next to them.  Maybe just a bug I don't know manifesting itself?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
(double posts FTW)

I fired up 1.8 for the first time to try out a custom map that required it, only to discover that I get a staggering 5 FPS with frequent hard-locks in it.  Tweaking every setting down to its minimum did absolutely nothing.  I don't know what the hell was involved in the rendering rewrites, but apparently it included utterly decimating my ability to play the game.  Terrific!

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
I run and partly manage a server with a close group of friends, but that thing has required so much service and maintenance, I'm about ready to quit. Not that I have anything against my friends, but constatnly killing and crashing the server over trying to stuff the latest MC mods is tiring.

I might consider joining the HL server in the future if my friends don't continue to give me MC hell.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, survival seems to be back in order. I'm guessing the sheer number of torches per chunk in the mines have something to do with the wonkiness of it.

Tried playing in Hardcore again, but I keep coming across the infuriating bug of the stone pick breaking after the first stone block. I heard somewhere that this is supposed to break after 8 stone blocks, but it has never happened this way for me.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Speaking of Minecraft...anyone watched some of those MC musical vids? Some of them are REALLY good.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Speaking of Minecraft...anyone watched some of those MC musical vids? Some of them are REALLY good.

I've watched most of the yogscast stuff. Not many of the others.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, survival seems to be back in order. I'm guessing the sheer number of torches per chunk in the mines have something to do with the wonkiness of it.

Tried playing in Hardcore again, but I keep coming across the infuriating bug of the stone pick breaking after the first stone block. I heard somewhere that this is supposed to break after 8 stone blocks, but it has never happened this way for me.

Torches are a block like any other, so no, not unless your GPU sucks bad enough that attempting to render all the particle effects was driving your FPS into the dirt. 1.7.10 in general has serious performance issues however, mostly related to the not-yet-improved lightning code.

Which, good news on that front... While a 1.8 build of Bukkit will never happen and Spigot is still trying to do their thing, recent 1.8 Protocol hack builds are more stable and less leaky than before. Since we run a Bungee/Spigot cluster anyway, we can simply update whenever I feel it's ready. Combine this ability to connect with 1.8 clients with a special plugin named Carbon, and I can basicly give you guys MC 1.8, minus a few small features. This also lets you connect to the server using the MC 1.8 client, which is far far better than 1.7.10.

Since MC 1.8 is now available, we're back to how do we handle it. Options at this point in time are;
 - A portal at spawn to go to a 1.8 world.
 - Add it to the Warps menu.
 - Either of the above with a direct resource cost on use, such as emeralds.

While I would prefer player-made portals like the Nether portal, I do not have a way to do that seamlessly at this point in time.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Torches are a block like any other, so no, not unless your GPU sucks bad enough that attempting to render all the particle effects was driving your FPS into the dirt. 1.7.10 in general has serious performance issues however, mostly related to the not-yet-improved lightning code.

No, Mongoose was the one having the FPS issues, the problem I was having was that my torches would randomly(?) deconstruct themselves as if it was underneath the spawn area but no notification was given. What's worse is that they deconstructed while I wasn't looking at them, the torch path I had made to several locations within the mine could not be found.

It's like that mine has a mind of its own!  :shaking:

Also, yay 1.8 hacks.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, 1.8 is running absolutely horribly for me, and looking around the 'tubes I'm far from the only one, though there doesn't seem to be any definite pattern emerging.  (I have an ancient piece of a system, but I've seen people with brand-spanking-new beasts getting massive framerate hits too.)  The good news is that Optifine 1.8 is just about ready, though it never did much for my framerate before; I'm hopeful that it'll make a noticeable difference this time.

(Also any word on the randomly-disappearing villagers, Kyad?)

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Contrary to a few youtube videos, every single system I own in addition to every system owned by everyone I talk to on a regular basis performs much better on 1.8 than 1.7.10, and unlike the youtubers I can vouch for them being up to date and set up properly. Odds are that new video drivers or an updated (and/or 64-bit) version of java version are needed (Java 8 is out now). Seriously, use 64-bit java and make sure MC is using it. Either way, 1.8.1 Pre-Re's are out already, so that won;t be long.

Villagers is likely due to hitting a entity cap in Bukkit/Spigot. You know, since JC has/had hundreds... You can try naming them, I'll put a box with a few hundred nametags near the spawn, be sure to share.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well that's the kicker: I'm still on a 32-bit system, and because I'm still limping along on XP Java 8 isn't available to me.  Not only that, but my video card (Radeon HD4670) is on AMD's "legacy" path, so although I updated the drivers, I don't expect that'd do much of anything performance-wise.  Like I said, I'm fully aware that my system is a complete antique, but it still blows my mind that the game can go from giving me a solid(ish) 30FPS on one release to quit literally sub-5 on the next.  From what I have been able to gather, it sounds like one of the game's main threads is making an absolutely-ridiculous number of calls, at least on some setups, which utterly gums up the works for everything else.  And it doesn't help that the game now uses next to no GPU time, considering that's probably the strongest part of my system at this point.

Anyways, if I ever do feel up to converting a few more villagers, I'll be sure to grab a couple of nametags and see if they stick.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well that's the kicker: I'm still on a 32-bit system, and because I'm still limping along on XP Java 8 isn't available to me.  Not only that, but my video card (Radeon HD4670) is on AMD's "legacy" path, so although I updated the drivers, I don't expect that'd do much of anything performance-wise.  Like I said, I'm fully aware that my system is a complete antique, but it still blows my mind that the game can go from giving me a solid(ish) 30FPS on one release to quit literally sub-5 on the next.  From what I have been able to gather, it sounds like one of the game's main threads is making an absolutely-ridiculous number of calls, at least on some setups, which utterly gums up the works for everything else.  And it doesn't help that the game now uses next to no GPU time, considering that's probably the strongest part of my system at this point.

Anyways, if I ever do feel up to converting a few more villagers, I'll be sure to grab a couple of nametags and see if they stick.

32-bit alone is probably doing most of the damage honestly. If the CPU is old enough to be 32-bit only as well that certainly wouldn't help. Hopefully they get Optifine Light up soon.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I know it's far from an ideal setup, but unfortunately it's all I have to work with.  The creator of Optifine has some interesting things to say on the subject, though.  It sounds like there's some ridiculous memory waste going on in the new rendering code at a very basic level.

Edit: Seriously, garbage collecting is being performed at a ridiculous rate with this code.  What the **** Mojang.

Offline -Sara-

The server still lives? I'll check it sooner or later then. :)
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
The server still lives? I'll check it sooner or later then. :)

Holy crap it's Sara
"No"

Offline -Sara-

And holy crap it's -Sara-

Holy crap it's Sara

Timestamps. This happens when I visit once a year. I lolled.  :lol:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WOOt? Sara is back? :O

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
If old people are popping back, I might come say hi too
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Also, is there a copy of gargamel anywhere?
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife