Author Topic: Multiplayer Tactics  (Read 4935 times)

Offline mrfun

I meant one team plus AI against another team plus AI.  The idea is for it to be a tactical engagement more than just a dogfight, where you have to coordinate with your team to attack a larger target, or defend that target.  Think how much more interesting it would be to make attack runs on a destroyer when some of the defenders are human.  Not sure how well it would actually work though, thing is I'm just not into fragfests.  They get boring quickly.

The only multiplayer game Iv'e ever been able to really get into was the old mercnet- Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries.  You actually had to think out your attacks, and coordinate with teammates to win a mission.  Most online games, including mech4, all you ever do is shoot as many of the other guys as possible before you die and respawn.

I take that back- I used to play team fortress a lot also.  Too bad nobody really plays it anymore, all the ppl that are left on the TFC servers are CS wannabes.

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Originally posted by mrfun
I meant one team plus AI against another team plus AI.

ok, the 2nd thought then: get a good host (good line) and at least 4 players (better 6) and try cet_mt01, cet_mt02 and cet_mt03... ;) (to find in my sig)
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

MrFun, I think I know who you went against and if it can comfort you there was little you could do against him whatever ship you/he chose ;)

But you are wrong when you think that the one with the biggest guns wins. Against a pilot with equivalent skills/experience you can beat Eryn with any other good ship. You just need to adapt your flying style to its strenght/weakness (but thats already part of advanced tactics and I am still on lesson 1..patience .. :p )

And Cet is right, if you are new to Multi, it is better to fly a few coops missions first to get the feel of it. But if you are really interested in improving your skills then flying TvT online is the only way (AIs are all the same, every human is different). You will probably get trashed in the first TvTs you play but just listen to the vets advices and you will very quickly improve with practice.

And yes there are a few TvT missions with capships (e.g. Deimos duel or Aeolus duel...)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 06:40:57 am by 1323 »
Battlestar Galactica mod for Freelancer: www.bsg-galactica.com

I wish they had an attack-defend round where you got to man the guns of a capship, and the enemy team was a set of fighters, and it was their job to take out the turret positions. That would rock!

"Get on those flak guns and anti-fighter turrets! Give em hell!"

As DareDevil said... it really isn't about the ship; that's what makes this game so much more fun than most other online games. The balancing is almost flawless. Yes, it's easier to be good with some ships than others but it's not about ping or big guns. The heavier ships are most popular, yes; but the really good pilots will beat you with anything up there: Personally I've been absolutely destroyed by Gryphon in a Perseus, QD in a Myrmidon, Tepanator in a Ulysses and High Ace in an Ursa and the list goes on.. (those that have flown against these people will know what I mean).
  Just because most pilots seem to fly with Erinyes doesn't mean it's the best. Yes, it's fast and fairly maneuverable and has that fearsome set of primaries, however those same primaries will drain damn quickly with twin Kaysers and it only has a limited missile capacity. It is also not impossible to out-maneuver, it's definitely possible in a Herc2 and it's even possible in a Tauret if you're good enough, and that's just out of the heavy fighters.

Also, to emphasise DareDevil's point: What's so bad about getting beaten to smithereens? People seem to get so upset when they're outclassed. This normally happens because the other pilot is BETTER than you, and since this is the case; you'll learn far more easily and far faster when you're being 0wned. I'd rather be 0wned than fly against a newbie who has no chance of beating me... simply think about what you're doing wrong, HOW they're beating you and you'll pick up tricks and tactics, and invent your own to beat them...if you work at it, your flying will improve faster in 3 TvTs than you will in 20 Coops, ESPECIALLY if you're the underdog.

Offline Cetanu

Originally posted by Da Vinci
...if you work at it, your flying will improve faster in 3 TvTs than you will in 20 Coops, ESPECIALLY if you're the underdog.

I still would say it depends on what Coop missions you fly... if you don't improve your skills in something like TDIC you won't in TvTs too :D

.....I prefer learning without having simultaneous aneurisms and panic attacks.....

Well these is for certain a lack of players online. Last time I played was about a few months ago, when there were about 5 people online... :wtf:

Offline Cetanu

@DaVinci
I take that as your agreement when it comes to NOT all Coops are the same...;)

TC: try now, with FSOPXO there are a few more.

Still, there aren't many people. But still it ain't bad for a game this old.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I suppose not, but Starcraft is old and its got a gazillion players. :eek:

No....they are definitely not all the same.......when I tested TDIC I nearly had a seizure...So...Many...Red.....Dots.........You're a crazy person, Cet.
 And: for the record, I badly phrased that last part: I meant that flying coops is completely different from flying TvT. TvT is more personal, more about duelling and dogfighting; whereas Coop teaches survival and multi-tasking. Coop will never prepare you for an Eri on your back, mimicking every move you make and taking out your shields with a single well-placed shot....and TvT will never prepare you for a sky filled with red things coming at you whilst you try to dodge beams and flak and get into bombing range. They're almost different games, and they're both great fun.

Now I want to dogfight all of a sudden... :sigh:

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Now I want to dogfight all of a sudden... :sigh:

....don't we all?....

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Who wants to play a game right now? I'm on, check sig
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Gah, I cant. Not enough time, nor hard drive space. :ick:

Maybe in a few days.

Offline Cetanu

Thx for the clarification DaV, my internal alarms usually auto-reply when I read something like "this playing style is always 10 better then that one"... :)

and yes... wished I had a working build for ANY Coop, TvT, Doggy... and for anyone knowing me: I would even play RI if possible
:eek2: :eek: :shaking: :blah:

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Screw it, I'm not waiting anymore
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

tvt still rulez  after 5 years for me . :)