Author Topic: FS1 Retail on FS2open in linux  (Read 2449 times)

FS1 Retail on FS2open in linux
Howdy,

I'm quite confused and really don't know where to begin.

1. I have retail FS1 but not FS2.  I just want to play FS1 for now.
2. I currently have icculus port of FS1 running well, but only in 640x480 - I was able to hack through the old installer to get it working.
3. I would like to run FS1 on FS2open for all the obvious graphical benefits.

Can someone step me through this?  Once again, I don't have FS2 retail or even downloaded the FS2 .iso(s).

Is this possible?  I downloaded the 'fsport3_0_4.vp' (thinking it was an FS2open port for FS1 installer or something).  I'm lost fellas.

Sincere thanks.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FS1 Retail on FS2open in linux
:welcome:

The FS Port requires the FS2 engine -- either retail or FSO.  It also makes use of the FS2 retail game data.  You cannot run FSO without the FS2 game data, unless you install a total conversion like Wing Commander Saga.

The icculus port is basically a recreation of the FS1 engine.  It's basically a fork of the retail FS2 code, extrapolated backwards.  The Source Code Project, on the other hand, is a fork of the retail FS2 code that extrapolates forwards.

This is kind of an awkward explanation, but the short answer is that you can't use the FS Port unless you have FS2 installed. :)

I'll move this to the cross-platform forum in case any other Linux users have input.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Doesn't Turey's installer work on Linux?  I have a link in my siggy, if you want, toobooku, you can use that to install the FS:SCP.  (Which I would recommend :D).  That way, you're all set to play FS1, and then you can play Silent Threat, and then FS2, and then Derelict, and then ...  IIRC, you don't have to tell the Installer to install everything, just tell it to get FS2 & FS1 & the cutscenes... you can then run the installer again later, to update & install more mods.

BTW,
Commence plasma core insertion... Gunnery Control, target toobooku... sensor lock acquired, open fire!
...wait, you've already got the welcome beam.  Okay, then the speech.  I'll torture you with "the speech" ;)

Welcome to the the HLP BB.  Exits are to the sides and rear.  Don't plan on using them though, someone let the hosted projects put all their stuff in there so they're all but inaccessible.  In the event of an emergency, flamethrowers are stowed under your seat but since we've been out of napalm since late '01 you'll have to use it as a cudgel.  There are pulse rifles and assorted heavy weapons in the lockers up front; these can be opened only by admins, a :v: - god, or a hyper intelligent shade of the color blue.  These weapons are reserved for the Apocalypse, bad April Fools jokes, and the mention of eF eS thr33, in that order, so don't get your hopes up about using them.  In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device, and you'll find a week's supply of Bosch Beer hidden inside.  There's a 95% probability that the beer isn't actually beer, and no one is really sure why you'd need a flotation device in deep space, but hopefully these will provide some small comfort.

Feel free to get acquainted with the place while you're here, and do be careful when exploring the ventilation systems.  If you encounter a large 5-limbed creature, don't panic.  Just set down your lunch and back away very slowly.  If you're lucky it will just be Carl, our resident shivan, who responds quite well to bribes of food.  If it's not Carl, and it's in a good mood, at least your death should be quick and painless.  If you're particularly unlucky though you might get dragged into a religion or politics thread, in which case may God have mercy on your soul.  Stay clear of trouble, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your stay!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:50:51 am by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
That way, you're all set to play FS1, and then you can play Silent Threat, and then FS2, and then Derelict, and then ...
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Fixxored  ;)  thx

Hey fellas, thanks for all the replys.  I'm still a bit confused and feel like I'm banging on an airlock from the outside.  I'll try out the Turey link - I ran across it earlier in my hunting but was unsure if that was the right one.

Thanks for all the help.