Author Topic: First Mission of a 3 parter  (Read 3266 times)

First Mission of a 3 parter
Reviews and comments for improvement welcome.  MS_Sam voice highly recommended because there are a lot of unvoiced messages.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
Re: First Mission of a 3 parter
ok i beat this mission, i like it a lot however all my mate ate space dust within the first 2 minutes and i had to fight all by my lonesome, you could make it so if all your mate bite it then have another 1 or 2 wings launch for the battlestar.

Offline Dukayn

Had a run of this mission and it's good.  I died on the first couple of runs, I think maybe the Raiders should have their missiles pulled at least the first lot you deal with as you're supposed to be concentrating on the station.

When I did survive the Raiders, I got blown up by the Intrepid's flak but there's not much you can do about that :P

Good suggestion.  It is funny how differently the first segment of the mission plays.  Sometimes it seems very difficult and other time I've come through with hardly a scratch.

Offline Dukayn

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you play it as the pilot.  Do you concentrate on taking out the Raiders first and THEN take out the station, or do you concentrate on the station and hope your wingmen can keep the Raiders off you long enough to get the job done before joining the furball?

It also of course depends on the skill of the pilot playing the mission :P

One other observation I subconsciously made which I only just realised fully while typing this, is that everything appears to sit on the same level on the Y axis.  Just for the sake of variety it probably wouldn't hurt to change up the Y positioning of some of the objects in the mission so it's not just a perfectly straight flight in.  Oh, and having the objective directly ahead of you as you fly in could possibly be tweaked a bit.  It might just be me, but I doubt very much that you'd find yourself pointing directly at your target when launching for a mission.  This could be achieved easily by just changing the Y axis position of the station, of course.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hehe, just out of interest, did you know to look out for that one yourself or did you learn it from the FRED documentation? Cause I cover the Y Axis in the Common FREDding Mistakes section.

Ever seen Star Trek II : Wrath of Khan? Ever got the feeling that the captains of all the ships in a mission haven't? They're all arranged on the XZ plane. No ships diving in from above or nipping in from below. While it's believable that a small convoy of ships might arrange themselves this way so as to spread their flak above and below them effectively it's harder to believe that enemy ships jumping in would somehow know what plane they were on and leap in on it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dukayn

Hehe, just out of interest, did you know to look out for that one yourself or did you learn it from the FRED documentation? Cause I cover the Y Axis in the Common FREDding Mistakes section.
I did see that note in the FRED doco when I was doing the tutorial mission.  It was already something I was aware of as I've done a fair bit of mission design for IL-2 Sturmovik (instead of Y axis position it's altitude but it has the same effect really), but when flying the mission it wasn't something I was consciously looking for.  More something that I noticed after about the 3rd playthrough that everything was sitting on the same flat plane.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, that's pretty much the same for me. I tend to notice it more when I look at missions in FRED. It's still definitely something to be aware of and I definitely recommend any aspiring FREDder has a read of that list of common mistakes. Won't take you more than 3-4 minutes.

Offline Dukayn

Yeah, I always have the Help doco open in FRED to refer back to.  I'll often bring the Extended Tutorial back up as it goes into more detail on some things than the specific help sections do (like when-argument SEXPs and whatnot)

Offline Cerebus

I tried to dive in and tear them up solo a few times and got slaughtered, I'll got back tonight and play smart. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.  There are definitely some things off plane so to speak.  I did the tutorial and studied the help.  I was undecided about the "lining you up with the first objective".  It's limited to 2 minutes, or re-enforcements arrive which makes it much harder to complete.  I felt like that was difficult enough without having you spend the first 10 - 20 seconds getting oriented, but I take your point.

BTW Kara, I'm looking forward to the tutorial on tube launches :)  Oh, and R2 for more ships to play with :)  One thing about this mission is I really envisioned the station to be a fairly large station that you disarmed and boarded but when I saw the relative size of the armistice station I had to adjust.  I'm hoping some modders with talent will take some of the FS assets and re-skin them to fit better in a BSG environment.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The tutorial on tube launches is actually Ace's doing not mine. I'll probably convert it and add it to the FREDdocs though. :)

great mission. never managed to actually finished it, I always get blown up, but I managed to get quite far (I think). I concur with Dukayn about the missiles during the first assault. Plus I'd feel a lot better with two more birds in blue wing
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:53:08 pm by gilgermesch »

Offline Cerebus

played it again, great mission man.  We accidentally blew up the station while trying to disable it, but it wasn't a problem.  maybe add some chatter or something between sections to fill the void but very well done.

I especially liked the combat landing, I didn't know that was in there but the mission was over so I just went to land, it didn't land me at my first contact which was weird, I just kind of gingerly skidded across the bay and it stopped me near the end.  weird. 

Good stuff.  :nod:

The first merge was a bit rough since I couldn't manage to lose the missiles with the VIIe as easily as with the standard version

I had an issue with the landing not sticking on the first touch too. Dunno.  :confused:
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa