Author Topic: Truespace 7.6 not compatible with truespace 6.6 cob files :(  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Truespace 7.6 not compatible with truespace 6.6 cob files :(
Hello guys.

I noticed 2 days ago that TS 7.6 is free.
So I installed TS 7.6 a few minutes ago.   And got a problem.

This new TS can't load my cob files from ts 6.6. Is there a plug-in or something to import or load cob files to this new ts 7.6 ?

And BTW how is this affecting PCS2 files?  PCS2 can work only with cob files right ? So looks like I have to go back to ts 6.6 right?

Thank you for your help
And sry for my English and grammar mistakes.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Truespace 7.6 not compatible with truespace 6.6 cob files :(
IIRC newer versions of PCS2 work with dae (Collada). I've been told cob is outdated.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Hmm I didn't know that.

So maybe a new question is rising in my mind: What 3D program do you use for making ships for Freespace guys ?  I really like TrueSpace as a 3D program for making my ships for Freespace. I have some experience with 3D Studio but it is not enough I think...

Thank you guys

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I'm guessing you could convert your cob files after using TS into whatever format; perhaps into something Max can import. You could also try Blender (Open Source) if you have the time to learn the interface and how things work. I haven't kept up to date with the PCS2 thing, since I don't usually get to that stage when making things...

Edit: You might find some useful articles here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70249.0

I would think you can model all your parts in TS, then convert to .3ds and do the rest there (i.e. turrets, hierarchy, etc.) :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:21:42 am by Enigmatic Entity »
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Hmm
So I can try to convert my ts 6.6 cob files to something other so these new files will work with ts 7.6 or 3d studio. Just need to find the right format.  And then I will download new plug-in to convert them to Collada so these new files will work with PCS2.

OK guys thank you for your replies :)   

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Truespace 7.6 will work with PCS2 you just need to export the object in 6.0 .cob format.  Your issue seems to be opening your old models.  Saving as an older format might work there as well. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
The issue is that TS 7.6 don't support cob files anymore.  Well I tried to save/load in cob format in TS 7.6 but it is not supported.  Or there is a plug-in for this ? 

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
OK now I see that there are two new views in TS 7.6. Here are some answers for me I think. http://www.united3dartists.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1010
But still I am not sure about load/save my ts 6.6 cob files in ts 7.6... Hmm

EDIT: OK again my bad. I have TS 7.61 and there is only workspace view. So I need to download TS 7.6 to have model and workspace view. Hmm crap sorry to bother you guys.
Hope I know now where is the problem.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:36:54 am by Jouzin »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Most of us use Blender3D, which is free but has an insane learning curve.  Blender3D can export COLLADA, an XML model file that PCS2 can read and convert to POF.

A lot of us, including myself, use Wings3D (another free program; better learning curve) to make the actual models and UVMap it and then import it into Blender3D for compilation.

And of course there are also people who use 3DS Max, which is Blender3D with a price tag.

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
HI Rampage.

Yeah I know that Belnder3D is cool. My best friend use it everyday. He loves it so much. He is always asking: "When are you going to switch from TrueSpace to Blender mate ? :D"   I don't want to switch to Blender bcs of that insane learning curve. And bcs I have spent xx years with Truespace program. And I don't know why but I am completely lost in 3D studio and Blender UI.   I think that TrueSpace UI is more simple. 

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if youre gonna use truespace youre better off with version 6. its faster than 7, and gives you pretty much everything you need, and you can do a direct convert to pof.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN