Author Topic: Need for a code database  (Read 3021 times)

Need for a code database
Looking over the Freespace Source forum at all the things that people are adding and changing, it has occurred to me for the freespace forever project that:
1) It could use quite a few of these
2) We need a code database to keep track of all the chnages being made, and allow people to properly submit there's.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable in the area of how we get this to work on the web, but if anyone would like to post some suggestions then please put 'em here.

Need for a code database
Ok, the first option that comes to mind is Sourceforge, though I'm not sure its the direction we'd want to send FSF (for now - I'm thinking a little more control?).

Please, if anyone has ideas just post them here and I'll look into them.

Offline heretic

• http://www.warpstorm.com
Need for a code database
I have a lightning fast database, although I'd want to know what you would need exactly.
VBB survivor: June 1999 until the end. Only banned 2 or 3 times (I think)

Offline Inquisitor

Need for a code database
Need CVS, that will be the first step. Kazan has a CVS server, but, you can't put the FS2 source on it, licensing issues. It's not legal, don't do it, don't think about doing it. If the FS2 engine is the engine of choice, then we need to work out stuff with V or whoever on what we can do with the code.

There are a couple of places that do CVS, and I was thinking maybe I could volunteer a server of my own (in a real datacenter, not in my house) for the FS2 source project, so, if this goes the fs2 code way, no reason that couldn't be a branch off that server. Lots of stuff happening, no idea what Kazan has planned, so, I guess we wait and see.
No signature.

Need for a code database
Hmm, well seems to me this would be how we'd want to get things worked out to make it easier for people to contribute. I think I might email V and ask about it.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Need for a code database
call me stupid, but what does CVS mean?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Inquisitor

Need for a code database
Concurrent Version(ing) System, if memory serves.

IF you do microsoft stuff, it's like Visual Source Safe (only better ;)).

VSS is good if you have it and all your developers have it. CVS is open source, so all the advantages of that go with it, and it's very robust.
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Need for a code database
ahh..

thx
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord