Author Topic: Release post template  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Axem

I think the order of the links should go most critical to "nice to know". The builds should be front and center. Maybe something like...

• Primary Builds
    • Windows
    • Max
    • Linux
    • Link to other builds thread
  • FSO Launchers (wxlauncher front and center here)
  • TrackIR
  • Known Issues
  • Brief brief quick Troubleshooting
  • How to report bugs
  • Test builds/nightly forum link with extreme declaimers

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oooh, that autoplay is quite nice, too. How does it interact with hiding multiple videos?

That autoplay is only activated for that specific video. ;)  In fact figuring out how to make the autoplay work took about 10 times longer than actually integrating the new bbcode tag.

Multiple videos should be able to be hidden and shown just fine.

I can't hide a list.  Not the end of the world but if I wanted to collapse the list of known issues with this, I can't currently.

Hmm. :blah:  Well, the way the hiding works is that the CSS of a div element is toggled between display='' and display='none'.  Everything within the bbcode is enclosed within the div so it should work for any element.  I wonder if lists (or the way SMF handles lists) have some sort of incompatibility.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Testing:

Hidden Text: Testing a hidden list • Show
  • Testing.

Looks like it's a problem with the BBCode parser, given that hanging [/hidden] tag floating after the list.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, I wondered that too, almost as if the list is forcing an end to the surrounding element.  I know you shouldn't be able to put things in a list other than a list item, but you should be able to wrap the list without that breaking parsing I would think.  Look what happens when we try to use 'color' around a list:

• Test
  • Foobar
[/color]
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Turns out that this happens because [list] is a block-level tag.  According to the documentation, "Block level tags cannot be nested inside tags that are not block level, and will not be implicitly closed as easily. One break following a block level tag may also be removed."

The same thing happens with [center], as shown here.  That thread links to a bug report which ultimately links to a commit that is alleged to "fix" the issue, but it's on the 2.1 beta branch (we're on 2.0.x stable).

Unfortunately, the commit message doesn't describe how the fix is supposed to work, nor does the diff appear to address this particular issue.  Nevertheless, I tried applying that diff to our 2.0.x codebase.  It didn't work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  This means that either a) the diff only fixes the issue if the forum is running SMF 2.1, or b) (more likely IMO) the committer made a mistake when associating his commit with the bug tickets.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:31:17 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
More confusingly, that particular GitHub issue actually describes two separate problems; if that commit was meant to fix the second one rather than the first, then this could still be a problem with the 2.1 beta, so it might just be best to leave this be.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The description of the issue confuses me.  I don't know if 'hidden' is a block level tag, but the implementation described uses divs, which _are_ block level tags, so it sounds like the list is withing a block level tag to me.  'Color' may not be block level, I don't know.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, that's interesting.  On a hunch, I added the "block-level tag" attribute to [hidden] (as well as [spoiler] for good measure).  Lo and behold, it fixes the list case.

The same thing can't be done for the [color] tag because it's usually written inline with the rest of the text.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Well, that's interesting.  On a hunch, I added the "block-level tag" attribute to [hidden] (as well as [spoiler] for good measure).  Lo and behold, it fixes the list case.

The same thing can't be done for the [color] tag because it's usually written inline with the rest of the text.

Hidden Text: Just a test, people • Show
  • This is an item.
  • This is another item.
  • This is yet another item!
  • Let's get downright rainbow-tastic in here.
[/color]

I think "inability to wrap that whole thing in another color tag" is a perfectly livable restriction. :yes:

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Awesome, I can collapse the known issues list now.  Thanks Goober!