Author Topic: Popup slowdown  (Read 2211 times)

Whenever a popup appears, the framerate tanks from 50+ to 6, and does not recover without the executable being restarted. I compiled FS2 myself from SVN revision 7040 with no additional options set; my computer is running x86-64 Debian Squeeze.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A popup as in a menu option like 'quit game'?

Yep, as well as some other things like error reports.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Specifically "Popup"s (anything that uses the popup dialogue box, such as when you ESC in a Mission or Pause, or the "Parsing" popup when loading Techroom listing of Missions in the Mission Simulator)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, error reports are not part of that.  Those would be system dialogue windows usually, I think.  At least on Windows.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Error reports as in the in-game popups reporting loading errors in currently active campaigns and the like.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Error reports as in the in-game popups reporting loading errors in currently active campaigns and the like.

Those shouldn't be happening at all - something's presumably wrong with the installs. What campaigns?

That's really not the issue here, the point is that there's a popup and FS2's framerate tanks.  This is the problem that matters here, because it makes it impossible to use the mission simulator at all.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

For clarifications sake, he's using Retail Assets or Retail based (non-MediaVPs) mods when using any at all.

The only mod I know of that has replacement popups being BP, but he isn't playing that.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys