Author Topic: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 12/1/21)  (Read 86364 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 2/9/15)
Most people who tried to have both "show ship" and an external cockpit reported rather hideous-looking interactions between meshes. It might be possible with a dedicated cockpit and an external model made specifically to work with that cockpit, but I think it might be very hard to pull off.
Alternatively, it might be possible to change how FSO renders cockpit models so that they're always rendered on top of everything else...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
It might be possible with a dedicated cockpit and an external model made specifically to work with that cockpit

Yes, that's the idea. You can detailbox the ship so that parts of it don't show when you're in the cockpit.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Most people who tried to have both "show ship" and an external cockpit reported rather hideous-looking interactions between meshes. It might be possible with a dedicated cockpit and an external model made specifically to work with that cockpit, but I think it might be very hard to pull off.
Alternatively, it might be possible to change how FSO renders cockpit models so that they're always rendered on top of everything else...
I think that would be a better solution to fooling about with detailboxes. Especially since FoTG models were not actually made for a specific cockpit model.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 5/15/15)
Executor has been crossed off the list as the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade team graciously allowed us to use their model as it'll only be a background piece.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Someone can explain me whats mean EU ships?
I feel like a dumb   :rolleyes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Expanded Universe.  Basically it means stuff from Star Wars novels/comics/games/whatever that wasn't  in the original films.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Many thanks, i was searching and thinking before ask without any result. Everyday i,m learning new things  ;)

Offline Rolf

Re: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 12/14/15)
Abandoned or no work done:
ISD-I

Really? that's a shame, seemed to be going so well:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That might have been before the model was lost in a hard drive crash?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Rolf

That might have been before the model was lost in a hard drive crash?

Seriously? That's terrible luck...

Offline zookeeper

At this point, the sanest way to get an ISD-I that would match the ISD-II would be to do it by modifying the latter. Which might happen at some point, but definitely not for the first release.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Brand's belief was that a proper ISD-I would have sufficient enough differences from the ISD-II that the right way to do it would be from scratch.  If attempting to be accurate to the studio model proportions that is.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Brand's belief was that a proper ISD-I would have sufficient enough differences from the ISD-II that the right way to do it would be from scratch.  If attempting to be accurate to the studio model proportions that is.
I have to agree with Brand. For authenticity's sake, that's the route I would go if it was feasible, but only you guys know that. *crosses fingers* :nervous:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline zookeeper

Of course. But making one from scratch is not a way to get an ISD-I because it's just not going to happen.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Just to add an outside persepective, as someone with a medium amount of exposure into the universe (watched the movies multiple times and played several games), I have no idea what the difference is between them.

Offline Rolf

Just to add an outside persepective, as someone with a medium amount of exposure into the universe (watched the movies multiple times and played several games), I have no idea what the difference is between them.

My understanding is that the ISD-I/II thing was cooked up by the EU to explain the slight changes in design detail between Episode IV and V. later EU works such as Star Wars Galaxies or The Dark Times comic seemed to combine both ships together, the bridge of the ISDII + the turbo-lasers of the ISDI

My understanding is that the ISD-I/II thing was cooked up by the EU to explain the slight changes in design detail between Episode IV and V. later EU works such as Star Wars Galaxies or The Dark Times comic seemed to combine both ships together, the bridge of the ISDII + the turbo-lasers of the ISDI
X-wing Alliance also features both the ISDI and the ISDII. I don't recall any visual differences in this game at the moment though.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Those games weren't exactly known for their strict adherence to movie cinematics though.  We have been striving for that, but, if we do need an ISD-I, we may have to make some minor alterations to the II in order to have a usable ship in time.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yep.  Unless someone else happens to come along with talent matching what Brand made for us and has a strong desire to make the ISD-I from scratch, it's likely just not going to happen.  More likely is to modify the ISD-II to have something usable, and later on if someone makes a better ISD-I from scratch it can replace it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Does anyone have a rough list of the differences between the two? The only difference I know of off the top of my head is the altered main armament (including the turret in the side "notch" on the ISD-I).  I'm presuming the basic shape must have some differences if the ISD-I needs to be done from scratch to create a faithful representation.

e.g.

ISD-I

ISD-II
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...