Author Topic: I seem to be having issues...  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I seem to be having issues...
I got my installation of FS2 from GOG, and I can't seem to get ANY mods to work (I just so happen to be trying this one). Is it the fact that I got the game from GOG that mods won't work?  :confused:
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: I seem to be having issues...
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "it doesn't work"?

• This is fine.
I'm sorry, but I run retail, so I can't exactly post a debug log. And by "it doesn't work" I mean FS2 runs normally. Without the mod. Also a question: can FSPort run on FS2: Colossus?

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
FS2 retail doesn't use mod folders, installing a mod on retail means copying stuff into the data folder. It's very messy especially if you want to switch between different mods. Is there any particular reason you don't want to use FSopen?

Not sure about the Port. Do you only have FS2: Colossus and not the full version?

• This is fine.
I do have the full version, and I bought it from GOG. And can you explain further?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FSPort should be able to run on FS2: Colossus, yes.  I haven't tried it myself, but if you do the full FSPort installation, it should all work.

The fact that you're running retail is a critical detail. ;)  FSPort is designed to work with retail, so you should still be able to run the classic FS1 campaign as well as Silent Threat: Reborn successfully.  You will need to move all the .vp files from the fsport mod folder (but not the fsport-mediavps mod folder) into the root directory where you installed FreeSpace 2 -- don't use the data directory as Shivan Hunter suggested.  Remember to move the .vp files back to their mod folders when you want to switch back to the standard FS2 setup.

However, if you have the full version from GOG, your computer is most likely capable of running FreeSpace Open.  If you decide to use FSO, you can use the regular mod configuration and ignore what I said in the previous paragraph.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Which part?

To install a campaign on FS2 retail, you had to move everything in the campaign's folder into freespace2/data. The campaigns usually came with installation instructions. You couldn't really have two campaigns installed since they'd overwrite each other- for instance, if they both added new ships they'd both be using a ships.tbl, and you can't have two separate ships.tbl's in freespace2/data/tables. Basically, installing mods in FS2 retail was a terrible experience and it's much better now.

This is ignoring the fact that no campaigns released in like, the last decade, work on retail (other than Port and ST:R). There's so much more that FSOpen can do that campaigns take advantage of. There's not really any reason to run retail anymore since FSO does everything retail does, but better.

FS2: Colossus is an OEM version of FS2 that only includes part of the campaign (up to the introduction of the GTVA Colossus). I don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure it also doesn't include tons of ships and weapons that mods would depend on (as well as, of course, the rest of FS2, which is awesome). The GOG version is not FS2: Colossus.

• This is fine.
Thank you Goober. I'll tell you if it works on Colossus (I guess that will be my FS1). Oh and Shivan Hunter, FS2: Colossus has all the ships and weapons, so it is FRED compatible. It just seems to be incompatible with FSO.