Author Topic: Thruster ANIs  (Read 14761 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So.. with the possibility of using modelled thrusters again I made some thruster ANIs to use instead of the tiny retail ones!

http://www.mediafire.com/?em91deb6vg302u0

For now, put them in freespace/data/effects and run with nomods because modelled thrusters are disabled in the MediaVPs.

Now these won't fix bad thruster cones (which is the case for most retail ships, sadly). In the ship lab, you can also hit Tab to see the afterburner varients.
I recommend viewing these via Ursa, Thoth, and Basilisk as their thruster cones are horridly mapped and distorted.

This thread is NOT about IF modelled thrusters should be used in the MediaVPs.
Don't test me... I'll get Zacam in here SO fast...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:54:30 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Those look cool, specially the terran blue one.
When you say run with no mods you mean with retail-stuff right?
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Those look cool, specially the terran blue one.
When you say run with no mods you mean with retail-stuff right?

Yup.

Also, I forgot to mention that these are 100% tile-able and loop perfectly. (I mention it because that was no small feat for this kind of animation!)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:50:16 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And now I'm wondering how did you pull something like that, I need to clear my mind...

Awesome work, will test it this weekend.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looks like the engine flame effects used on the Battlestars in Diaspora.
In other words, sexy.

Offline Kolgena

Looking forward to modeled thrusters on the assets! I bet they'll look fantastic.

Also, the flames are too thick.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Looking forward to modeled thrusters on the assets! I bet they'll look fantastic.

I'm not, but we're not supposed to talk about that. :doubt: (There have been some good points made in the Medusa thread regarding this, actually, so I'm not particularly worried :))
The anis look fine, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:43:24 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They look good, but I'd like to see how Mediavps thruster cones will be modelled.
Right now, I think that I prefer the current way of making thrusters, which took a bit of creative liberty.
These look just like retail anims, just of higher quality.
Also, they're only half of what's needed to make modelled thrusters look good, the cone itself also must be well modelled (and most likely more complex than those seen in retail).
Of course, I'd have to see how they look in game on a thruster modelled specifically for them (on retail cones, they're, IMHO, inferior to current ones).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

In any case, as these are elements that exist in the Retail VP's, we would be (and have been) significantly remiss to not offer an upgraded version of them.

So, enjoy that they are here and that they are usable and see what the future holds for how and where when it happens.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Um.. wut?

You think this...

(that's full size by the way)

looks better than this?

To each their own I guess...  :doubt:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nope, I think that your anis just upgrade retail effects. Bitmap thrusters (what MVPs currently use) vastly differ from retail style (which I consider a good thing here).
Perhaps my wording wasn't the best, I meant that when your effect is applied to retail cones, it doesn't look as good as bitmap thrusters currently used by Mediavps.
Of course, modelling new thruster cones could change that.

I think they look pretty cool aside from the mesh not being up to par. Thing I don't like is how intense the thrusters are from behind. Is this something that could be changed with tables to get a more subtle effect?

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Qent

What am I supposed to be looking at in that pic? I don't see any thruster cones at all.

Exactly. I'm asking if the effect can be turned down. :banghead:
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Exactly. I'm asking if the effect can be turned down. :banghead:
That's the engine glow, which was in retail and has always been horribly large. Hell, I wonder what the modeled engines would look like turned off.

Nope, I think that your anis just upgrade retail effects. Bitmap thrusters (what MVPs currently use) vastly differ from retail style (which I consider a good thing here).
Perhaps my wording wasn't the best, I meant that when your effect is applied to retail cones, it doesn't look as good as bitmap thrusters currently used by Mediavps.
Of course, modelling new thruster cones could change that.
Well obviously we're going to be remodeling thruster cones, that isn't rocket science...

I will say that I do disagree about the retail cones looking worse than the thruster sprites currently in use, which look pretty terrible.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I will say that I do disagree about the retail cones looking worse than the thruster sprites currently in use, which look pretty terrible.

The clipping issues are the biggest problem.  Not even glowpoints have that issue.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd really love to see what could be done with the whole modeled-thruster concept when you mix together these great hi-res textures, some hi-poly models, and some sort of arcane shader magic or other.  I'd imagine the results could easily top the current sprites. :)

I've always found the modeled thrusters were superior to the little points of light that came with the mediaVP. The big modeled ones feel more substantial, like there's a powerful action-reaction going on.

Um.. wut?

You think this...

(that's full size by the way)

looks better than this?

To each their own I guess...  :doubt:

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, mjn.mixael. Let's get a shot of each one in action,then decide.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bigger isn't the only thing incredibly obvious in those shots... look at the sheer level of detail..

If you want to see them in action, download them (see first post) and try them yourself. I shouldn't have to hold peoples hands and post shots of everything, especially for assets that should be seen in motion.

All right then, both More Detailed and Bigger don't mean better.

I'm sorry that I haven't tried them out for myself. I'm up north and I don't have the resources to test them. I guess I'll wait then.