Author Topic: Source Code Mulitplayer?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Source Code Mulitplayer?
Just wondering... what sort of multiplayer functionality is there in the current FS2_open exe? (see FSTourny thread in FS modding)

Thanks. :)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
everything but pxo
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by PhReAk
everything but pxo

Loverly.  Might have to give that a whirl, then :)

Cheers.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Just wondering...is anyone looking at optimising the netcode?  In all honesty, I've nevr got online with fS2 - only Fs1 - but I'm still curious.

(actually, I hate asking stuff like this.... because I can't do it myself, and it always seems a bit iffy to aks someelse to do it when I can;t)

Oh, and slightly Ot here - any ideas on what the main causes of Lag would be?  I'm specifically thinking of the effects of graphical details, here (i.e. texture size, model polycount, weapons effects, etc) because that's something I can tinker with.

Offline RandomTiger

Those things effect the speed of the game but they are not transmitted during gameplay so they dont directly effect lag. But people tend to reduce these things to give the CPU more time to process net stuff to try and reduce lag.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by aldo_14
Oh, and slightly Ot here - any ideas on what the main causes of Lag would be?  I'm specifically thinking of the effects of graphical details, here (i.e. texture size, model polycount, weapons effects, etc) because that's something I can tinker with. [/B]

Your internet connection type for online play. ;)

Seriously, I think the first bottleneck is the internet connection itself for online play. LAN play would avoid that. The second would, of course, be any lag in computers between yours and the hosts. (Which might apply for LAN play, I don't know.) After that, probably the preformance capabilities of the computers themselves. The first thing to do about optimizing network/online play would be to find out exactly what is transmitted from the server to the clients, and vice versa. The network/online play may be affected by the DX8 upgrade though. (If they're upgrading it to DirectPlay 8, assuming it even uses DirectPlay.)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline RandomTiger

Really the DX8 upgrade should be called the D3D8 upgrade.
THeres some directshow in there as well but thats about it.

As far as upgrading the multiplayer code goes, it would simply take too long to do because it would involve people having to meet togther to test at the same time. Just wouldnt happen if you ask me.

Offline Inquisitor

We haven't got to the multiplayer yet. THat's all.

Always been on the plan, just need people with the time and the skillz. As far as I know we haven't broken it yet, though.
No signature.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Inquisitor
We haven't got to the multiplayer yet. THat's all.

Always been on the plan, just need people with the time and the skillz. As far as I know we haven't broken it yet, though.
Started putting a PXO-replacement server code together.  It's more up my alley anyhow, since I write servers for a living :D

It's in my rather large file of projects that are only 10% finished :(  I think I know what needs to be done, though...
your source code slave

Offline Inquisitor

I'd like to at least look over your shoulder as you do that, if you don;t mind :)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger