Author Topic: 3D Beams  (Read 3269 times)

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Could beams be made to use a model?

:nervous: Don't hurt me!
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

OMFGWTFAOLBBQBATMAN!!!!!11114111-MicroPsycho

Offline Fry_Day

How would you propose to do that?

What kind of model? What will you do once you have one model?

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
to this i ask: to what gain?  They certainly could be changed, and it'd be quite easy at that, but how would it help anything?  You need the same explosions and glows to cover up the ends, and you have to figure out how to add fancy effects.  It'd probably look worse in the end. ;)

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
True...

Ah forget it. :p
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

Offline diamondgeezer

Well... you could put an animated texture on it...

Two words: Macross Cannon.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actualy this could probly be done without that much difuculty, most of the code needed was made for the warp model, so a beam model could be scaled and varying types of glow points could be made...
actualy now that I think of it it might be a bit harder than that...:doubt:
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
While it would serve no practial purpose, SvK over on the Relic Boards made some 3D beams for HW that were pretty slick.:thepimp:

Anybody else notice the nearly overwhelming propensity to compare Freespace to Homeworld?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
It's the beams. They dominate all. :)
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
wouldn't animated tiles with beam tiling (something we already have) be better?

Offline Krom

You want a beam that has width and depth even when viewed directly along its lenght?  Meaning it doesnt look like what it is, a flat texture?

You could accomplish that by covering it with a lense flare when you are very close to the beam...  And it would be a cool effect too!

-Krom

Offline Fry_Day

If you're talking about so far-fetched effects, how about this:
render the frame one time using the register combiners (Or pixel shaders) to reduce 1.0 from every color component (clamped, of course), so that only pixels with overbright values will appear, and copy the result to a texture. Blur that texture (the easiest way being letting the hardware create mipmaps and blending with them), and then redraw the scene, and add the blurred texture as a glare effect.
that way you have a general-case glare effect. Who wants to IMPLEMENT that? :)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Fry_Day
If you're talking about so far-fetched effects, how about this:
render the frame one time using the register combiners (Or pixel shaders) to reduce 1.0 from every color component (clamped, of course), so that only pixels with overbright values will appear, and copy the result to a texture. Blur that texture (the easiest way being letting the hardware create mipmaps and blending with them), and then redraw the scene, and add the blurred texture as a glare effect.
that way you have a general-case glare effect. Who wants to IMPLEMENT that? :)

I nominate Fry_Day :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
I also nominate Fry_Day. :nod: :D

Offline Fry_Day

D'oh, I thought of a problem in my scheme, which makes in much less useful. Since the substraction is done for every pixel when it's drawn, the only way to achieve overbright values is multitexturing, since normal adds will simply add 0 to each framebuffer value (since they are between 0..1.0). So right now, the only way to achieve glares is glow-maps in OpenGL (Since, AFAIK, the Dx glowmaps aren't done with multitexturing).
The solutions to this problem are either to wait till every effect uses multitexturing, or use a floating-point framebuffer :)

Wait wait wait....back up here: Why would we do this? There are next to no times that a beam is ever going to be pointing directly at the screen enough for us to see that its just a 2D texture.

On the other hand though, I do like the idea of beams having glows along there length - but with beam tiling that can be done by tiling with a bitmap with an alpha component (we do support alpha in beam tiles right?)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
The shape could be a cone (triangular pyramid) with the point emitting from the end of the turret and on the large end of thier could be a smaller cone so thier are no flat ends.

textures could move away from the model thats fireing the beam, and the exsisting beam textures could be used to cover up any disapearing faces (like the thrusters) in the semi seathrough model.
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline Fry_Day

How about a simple, implementable way to give an illusion of depth for a beam. I'd say spawn particles in a certain radius from the center of the beam that run along its length. everyone likes glowy bits :)

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
I got the idea from one of Shrike's ships.

seems a bit pointless, beams may be flat, but so is a cylender if you look at it from the side - its a rectangle.
Animated textures, like DG said, would be more intresting. :yes:

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"