Author Topic: Complicated to give it a thread title...  (Read 8637 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Complicated to give it a thread title...
Well, listen, it is complicated :D

As you probably noticed, your Ursa bomber fully packed with Helioses is as fast[slow :)] as another Ursa without any bombs.
I think you should give all weapons(mostly secondaries) an $Weight value which defines how heavy the missile is in kilos, and how much speed does it gives your bomber when it is fired.
Like this:
Helios
$Weight: 2.0
Your bomber obtains +2 m/s when a Helios is fired.
The $Max velocity can stand for the velocity without any secondaries. The $Weight is decreased from the $Max velocity when the mission begins, and the $Weight of the fired missile is added to maximal velocity.

eeehhh .... understandable? :confused:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

sounds good, very good actually.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Amon_Re

• http://www.kefren.be
Actually, at launch your machine should slow down abit due to the oposing forces.

(In zero gravity both would move into oposing directions)

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
so do you think that weight has no importance in space?
I don't know, I am not good at physics. :(

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Originally posted by TopAce

'well, you would need more energy to change your speed and/or direction of movement, but since the FS2 physics aren;t really anywhere near the real stuff, i think this sounds better, with added turning imparity.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
instead of speed, it should be acceleration and decceleration, as that's what extra mass would really effect. that and turning smoothness.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Amon_Re

If i'm not wrong it's not the weight thats important, but the mass :)

But since misiles have engines that (probably) have a thrust that pushes them out of their launchtubes, this thrust would most likely affect yuor ship.

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I really don't want to think about heavy speed decrease, bombers are basically slow. Only around a 5-10 maximum scale.

Offline Amon_Re

I really don't want to think about heavy speed decrease, bombers are basically slow. Only around a 5-10 maximum scale.

I was thinking of a slowdown of a very short amount of time (say 1/2 second), not a constant slowdown, but just the initial push of the missile.

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
khmmm... that's a good idea :yes:
but the bomber is continously carrying the same amount of weight. :mad2:
Bah! That's really complicated :)

Offline Amon_Re

Well, less misiles should perhaps allow it accelerate faster, since there is less mass to pull.

Eg: full payload = Max speed in 10 seconds
No payload = Max speed in 5 seconds

It would be something like the kickback of a gun, a short slam on the break in a way, it might add to realism.

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, for the first few seconds, yes, the Bomber would lose velocity because it is pushing something away in the direction it wants to go. But after that, there would be an increase in Top Speed, and a slight increase in acceleratiion to get there, since the mass of the bomber is slightly less, so the thrusters at full power would push it faster :)

Flipside

Offline Amon_Re

I agree, but the increase in speed shouldn't be to high

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
In space, bombers carry mass, not weight. Mass becomes weight when affected by gravity.

So, full bombers have more mass. The only effects this should have, like Carl said, is on acceleration/decceleration and maneuverability.

And if you wanted to get picky, then you could have a launched bomb/missile give a bit of kick-back to your ship as an equal and opposite reaction issue. Wouldn't really affect the gameplay any, since the actually change would be negligable, but the effect would be cool to experience. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Every time a particle is launched off the ship in any direction, the ship would have to be accelerated to the opposite direction. Of course, firing a heavy bomb should push you back (like if you rammed), you can just go & accelerate back to normal speed. Primaries that fire particles would also push you back, but normally not enough to throw you back or even stop your ship (if youre flying at 50 m/s you'll prolly go down to 45 m/s or something like that :) ).
That'd be a really nice effect :D

-edit-

additional idea.

If this ever were implemeted we'd have new weapon ranges. You could have something like Nitro bursters that, when fired, create a strong blast so your ship will be thrown back at a high speed (especially useful to get out of some critical situations, or away from some missiles, out of a MS trap, etc.). The bad part about those bursters would be that they take up a missile bank so you'll have less missiles to shoot at your opponents ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 03:14:34 pm by 1317 »
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Amon_Re

Yup ;)

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Carl

• Render artist
it definately would be cool, and maybe we could give the maxim a slight kickback, maybe -1mps per shot or so, just because it's be cool.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
just don't give it a heavy pushback. Like the one which occurs at AAA hit. The game would be less playable.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by Lightspeed

additional idea...

that's pretty much what the afterburners are for, though.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
but to esape, you must turn away from your attackers, and use your afterburners. It pushes you backwards by default, If I understand LightSpeed well.