Author Topic: Some unpleasant words about the MediaVP  (Read 7260 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Some unpleasant words about the MediaVP
I saw the releasal of the newest MediaVP in the news. 'OK, why not give it a try?', I said. After downloading the actual files, I wanted to unextract the zip(or whatever) file into a .vp. Suddenly, instead of WinZip, a self-unextracting something came. I gave it the 'C:\Games\FreeSpace\' as destination. It put a .vp and a readme file into the destination folder.
'OK, let's see what this .vp contains!'
I opened vpview and started to cruise throught the files. I clicked on one of the nebulae by chance(which was neb11, as far as my memory takes). I saw no change on the image itself if we disregard it became a 24-bit file. 'Why was this change necessay?' I asked. 'OK, let's open some more files', let's see the planets!'. Yes, these are definitely new. But ... what? 2048x2048 and 24-bit??. Launcher: I set the -glow and -spec flags.
'Let's see how this works in use'. I started the game. I noticed the lighting dots on the Ulysses. 'It's and overkill!' I said. But this one was enough to inspire me to cruise the tech room a bit. I opened the GTC Fenris entry, and I was pretty apparent it had new textures. 'But is this the hi-poly one? Will see.' I opened the mission simulator and run one of the Renegade Ressurgence missions. The first thing that became apparent is the EXTREME loading time. It took at least 45 seconds for the game to load up. Without the MediaVP, even FSO can load a mission in 10-20 seconds. Then, I started the mission. Here came to my mind the first thing I forgot: Displaying the FPS value! The game had an EXTREME slow-down, the FPS value may have been between 10-30 in most cases. The game was so slow that it became impossible to hunt down any of the fighters on my own. 'I think I'd better quit and erase this .vp. It has no use!'. I pressed ALT-J, but I changed my mind miliseconds before jumping out. I quickly slapped on ESC, and I said: 'Wait! There is something else I am curious about!'. I continued the mission. My wingmen took down all Mjolnir cannons, which allows a Leviathan-class cruiser to enter the area. I was curious if this .vp contains the newest Fenris/Leviathan model. It did. FreeSpace Open was so kind to quit at once I turned on that cruiser.
'Let's do some changes!'
Launcher: Video: Oh, got it! It must have been the problem: The resolution was 1024x768x32! I changed it to 1024x768x16. I was hoping that it would make the FPS values higher. What a blunder! It didn't. The same happened in the mission I previously described.
After all these, I decided to throw this .vp into the recycle bin. So I did. I was quite certain that not my machine configuration was obsolete. With HTL, I never had problem with the performance(merely with some of the SWC ships, but that's another pasta).
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

err, punctuation, a spelling checker, and more paragraphs are your friends...

Aside from that, what are you're systems specs? What exact build are you using? What file did you download? What are the flags in the launcher?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
err, punctuation, a spelling checker, and more paragraphs are your friends...

I know you don't like me, you don't have to confirm it. :)

My machine is:
2 GHz Pentium IV
GeForce 4 MMX440, default settings
384 Megs of RAM

I used the 03_05_04 build, with the -spec, -glow and -mod RR flags. The file I downloaded was the newest MediaVP, which I found by the link in the news.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
This just confirms it...........SCP is no longer within the reach of the common gamer.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

My note about the style in the post has nothing to do with me liking you. It's just a ***** to read this way.

I think you meant the Zpack. Well, the Zpack has every file, everything meant for the fastest of the fastest. Download the seperate files, and not the ultra high res planets, and I geuss you'll like it more that way.
As for the game crashing when looking at the high poly Fenris, that is odd. I have a slower system then yours, and I can run it fine.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Originally posted by Singh
This just confirms it...........SCP is no longer within the reach of the common gamer.

Err, no, it only means some os the data used with the SCP might be a bit too much for certain systems. I am running a P3 800, with a Radeon 7000. Aside from a problem with Spec lighting, which seems to be very much caused by my card, the SCP runs fine.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

I run everything as everybody is supposed to ... Launcher, using HTL and the new mod switching system(which is convenient, if we disregard FRED always wants to look for missions in the Document folder).

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
needless to say, the crash shouldn't have happened. but, as has been previously said, the massive slowdowns will be from the ultra high res stuff and the rest on an MX card.

bughunting: so, did you actually see any of the cruiser? or did it crash as soon as it entered the mission? if it crashed as soon as the fenris would have come on screen, without seeing any, that usually indicates a texture error. if it crashed while the thing was entering it is often a docking path error.

either way, d/l the latest merged textures version and try that independantly from the media vp.
http://www.sectorfiles.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/HTL-Fenris-final.zip

that one definitly worked very well on my system, which is only slightly better than yours.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 06:32:19 am by 815 »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline JarC

PII 466 here, no probs with the Fenris, me thinks that what the biggest slowdown causes is the new explosions and some other ANI's, some are enlarged and this will suck up RAM like dryed squarepants.

However, you do have a point with regards to replacements that were only given a larger colordepth (which is still sadly a large part)

@VA: there is a small glitch in the nameplates, when viewed in ModelView, both sides seem to either miss a triangle or it ducks under the surface texture. If this is indeed a glitch, a longer name than GTC ORFF might get some clipping
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 06:52:51 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

Not at all. Technically you should be able to run the SCP with systems that ran normal FS2.

THE NEW FEATURES ARE NOT OBLIGATORY. They're ALL optional. :)

Geez, people can't expect to run everything on full detail with a low end machine. Obviously it's the GeForce.

Although, looking at those specs it *should* be running faster. Hmm...
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I got this wierd 'Man in the Moon' thing pop up on Surrender Bellesarius! Don't know whether that sneaked into the VP or what, but it scared the hell out of me! :D

Man in the Moon?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
sure you didn't use that weird cheat with faces that move around?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Lightspeed

Not at all. Technically you should be able to run the SCP with systems that ran normal FS2.

THE NEW FEATURES ARE NOT OBLIGATORY. They're ALL optional. :)

Geez, people can't expect to run everything on full detail with a low end machine. Obviously it's the GeForce.

Although, looking at those specs it *should* be running faster. Hmm...

It should have even lower requirement, that is if you have a T&L video card. :)

But something is wrong in this case. Try a complete reinstallation... And perhaps new drivers for... everything.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The textures cannot be a problem. I could see the Fenris in the tech database and rotate it around.

That increase in the visual quality does not worth a complete re-install.

Obviously it's the Geforce4 MX since my system which is inferior overall except for the GeForce4 ti4200 performs quite well.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
The Geforce 4 mx is not that bad.
It should be fast enough for high qulality setting, unless you activate AA, or AF.
Or is it a 32 MB Mx ?
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
It is a GeForce. 'nuff said. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Flipside
I got this wierd 'Man in the Moon' thing pop up on Surrender Bellesarius! Don't know whether that sneaked into the VP or what, but it scared the hell out of me! :D

Ahh. the test DDS that RT asked us to try. To see if backgrounds supported dds properly. :lol:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by DaBrain
The Geforce 4 mx is not that bad.
It should be fast enough for high qulality setting, unless you activate AA, or AF.
Or is it a 32 MB Mx ?

No, as I said, it is 64 Megs.